Goodbye Jesus

$60 Million Settlement For Archdiocese Sexual Abuse

wonderer

Los Angeles --

Yet again, a Catholic archdiocese is about to settle a major sex-abuse case. Brought on behalf of 45 victims against 22 priests, the $60 million settlement isn't the largest, either. In 2002, the Diocese of Orange settled a case for $100 million. There are still 700 - 800 claims pending, according to lead attorney for the plaintiffs, Ray Boucher. Sex abuse lawsuits against priests have cost the U.S. Catholic church over $1.5 billion since 1950.

Isn't it about time the Catholic church lost its tax-exempt status in the U.S.? These so-called "men of god" won't be jailed or lose their collars, either - the nature of a settlement is that the victims get paid to keep quiet, and it's all swept under the rug. They should all be thrown in jail, in my opinion, and the co-conspirators in the Catholic leadership should be jailed right along with them.

But even with this constant parade of shame, do you think it will cause the rank and file Catholic lay people to rise up and clean house? Not bloody likely. Religion and pedophilia are not conflicting ideas, apparently.

Damn! Why couldn't the guy that molested me have been a priest. I'd be rich now.

Damn! Why couldn't the guy that molested me have been a priest. I'd be rich now.

LOL. Too bad, it's apparently worth around a million dollars (less the lawyers' cut, of course).

LOL. Too bad, it's apparently worth around a million dollars (less the lawyers' cut, of course).
I could use half a million dollars. Do "recovered" memories count?

But you know..... this kind of reminds me of that empty transit bus in New York that got in a small "fender bender". The bus was empty except for the driver. No one was in the parked car. 50, or so, people put in injury claims.

There should be a law against bribery. I mean, it should be enforced. There are things that money can't buy. Innocence is one of them. Why even bother putting money down for it.

Schuylkill County priest sentenced to prison

Yarrosh had pleaded guilty in April 2005 to three counts of sexual abuse of children, theft, receiving stolen property and criminal use of a communication facility. He was sentenced to probation on the child sex abuse charges.

He was sentenced to prison for violating his probation by taking a prostitute out to lunch.

Priest’s abuse conviction reversed

The Missouri Supreme Court on Tuesday reversed the conviction of a Roman Catholic priest found guilty of sexually abusing a child, saying the statute of limitations had run out.

In many states this is what would happen. The statute of limitations is the real hurdle that prevents criminal lawsuits.

Catholic bishop accepts counseling, avoids possible charge for late reporting of clergy abuse

Bishop Daniel F. Walsh of Santa Rosa, Calif., agreed Nov. 20 to enroll in a diversion counseling program in lieu of facing possible criminal charges for his delay in reporting allegations that one of his priests sexually abused a minor.

Anyone else would be in jail.

So there are priests delaying in reporting allegations so those accused can flee to places of non-extradition and wait out the statute of limitations. We have those immune because of the statue of limitations. And there are those that even when convicted, only get a slap on the wrist.

I don't normally support vigilante justice...but in this case I'd be willing to look the other way.

There should be a law against bribery. I mean, it should be enforced. There are things that money can't buy. Innocence is one of them. Why even bother putting money down for it.

That's just what this society does. :shrug:

At least the catholic church is finaly under some scrutiny for this shit,,,,

Too bad the other churches arent under the same scrutiny,,,,,,,,,

And to bad a few other organizations arent under scrutiny as well,,,,

They should be in jail. For a long time.

Hmm.... large monetary awards aren't exactly a "price on innocence". They're more like damage control. At the graphics place where I worked we did some graphics for a case or two where a sexual abuse survivor was suing their perp for civil damages. The purpose had nothing to do with an attempt to price or restore innocence - that can't ever be replaced, and I don't think anybody had any illusions about that. It had a lot more to do with trying to recover something so that the victim could try to get enough therapy and support to pick up the pieces and become even marginally functional.

Long term, systematic sexual abuse really does a number on a human being. It's hard to describe the damage unless you've either been in that position (which I really hope nobody here has), or unless you've seen up close and personal what kind of impact it has on someone. Not pretty.

I honestly have no pity whatsoever for the Catholic church right now anyway. They spent decades hiding some of the most horrible crimes that can be perpetrated (on *children*, no less). I'd like to see the institution taken for all they're worth, gutted of their resources and stripped of legal immunity.

But I also do a lot of work with sexual abuse survivors (and am one myself), so I tend to be a ruthless bitch about it.

Anyhoo. Just some thoughts.

They should be in jail. For a long time.

Hmm.... large monetary awards aren't exactly a "price on innocence". They're more like damage control. At the graphics place where I worked we did some graphics for a case or two where a sexual abuse survivor was suing their perp for civil damages. The purpose had nothing to do with an attempt to price or restore innocence - that can't ever be replaced, and I don't think anybody had any illusions about that. It had a lot more to do with trying to recover something so that the victim could try to get enough therapy and support to pick up the pieces and become even marginally functional.

Long term, systematic sexual abuse really does a number on a human being. It's hard to describe the damage unless you've either been in that position (which I really hope nobody here has), or unless you've seen up close and personal what kind of impact it has on someone. Not pretty.

I honestly have no pity whatsoever for the Catholic church right now anyway. They spent decades hiding some of the most horrible crimes that can be perpetrated (on *children*, no less). I'd like to see the institution taken for all they're worth, gutted of their resources and stripped of legal immunity.

But I also do a lot of work with sexual abuse survivors (and am one myself), so I tend to be a ruthless bitch about it.

Anyhoo. Just some thoughts.

NO AMOUNT OF MONEY OR MATERIAL REWARD CAN TAKE AWAY THE PAIN, AND REPAIR THE DAMAGE. NOTHING.

Those who commit these ultimate evils deserve to be thrown to the lions.

I AGREE 100%

NO AMOUNT OF MONEY OR MATERIAL REWARD CAN TAKE AWAY THE PAIN, AND REPAIR THE DAMAGE. NOTHING.

True, it isn't money that heals a survivor.

But it sure helps.

Most health insurance companies around here, for instance, won't cover the extensive mental health care that survivors need to cope - and that shit ain't cheap. Inpatient, outpatient, meds, group, whatever... the cost adds up. I've known survivors that were indeed so damaged that they were never functional at all - couldn't hold down a job, couldn't keep up relationships, just couldn't live. Money can be a part of recovery, in the sense that it's a resource for getting what a survivor needs to heal.

Healing itself is in the hands of the survivor; and whether or not the pain ever goes away depends a lot on who they are, what kind of support they get, and other personal things like that.

I'll tellya, tho', it's a lot easier to heal in the comfort of a therapist's office than it is in a cardboard box under the viaduct.

Those who commit these ultimate evils deserve to be thrown to the lions.

I'm with you there, totally. I have no sympathy for child abusers of any kind. It's sickening.

I'm with you there, totally. I have no sympathy for child abusers of any kind. It's sickening.

If I thought our justice system could handle it (and I don't), I would love to see rapists and pedophiles get the death penalty.

Rape is one of the most sickening and cruel tortures you can inflict on someone, especially a child. These men need to perform last rights on themselves and get lynched like they so richly deserve.

If I thought our justice system could handle it (and I don't), I would love to see rapists and pedophiles get the death penalty.

Rape is one of the most sickening and cruel tortures you can inflict on someone, especially a child. These men need to perform last rights on themselves and get lynched like they so richly deserve.

Beat me to it.

Yeah, I absolutely agree that the death penalty is the only way to deal with those kinds of crimes.

Not sure why but I've always felt that I'd rather see a rapist executed than a murderer.

Yeah, I absolutely agree that the death penalty is the only way to deal with those kinds of crimes.

Not sure why but I've always felt that I'd rather see a rapist executed than a murderer.

Then all you will end up with is a bunch of dead kids. If the guy is going to get the death penalty either way, they'll just get rid of the only witness. Families won't want one of their members executed, so they'll just remain silent instead of reporting the crime.