Goodbye Jesus

Not If You Go To Church But Where

R. S. Martin

Living down here and being a nontheist isn't easy, though, I agree...not by any stretch of the imagination. People don't ask you if you go to church, they ask where.

I just brace myself and say, "I haven't been to church in a long time." Sometimes I think this is a Bible Spot and I would be interested to know how the general atmosphere here compares with the deep south. The violence here does not exceed psychological and emotional levels i.e. shunning, excommunication, ostracization, put-downs, etc. There are cases where business and/or services are denied on the basis of religious differences.

Every Sunday when possible we go to the "Church of John Moses Browning" and worship His Inventiveness with many, many rounds of downrange fire which is know to Please Him.

Those who do not understand may never Know the Pleasure and Joy given in His High Holey Honor.

Those who do not imbibe in the Goodness are apostate and infidels, worthy of having to live in a Nation not given to Worship of the Holy Inventor.

kFL

Living down here and being a nontheist isn't easy, though, I agree...not by any stretch of the imagination. People don't ask you if you go to church, they ask where.

I just brace myself and say, "I haven't been to church in a long time."

I just brace myself and say, "We don't go to church." In the happy event that they ask why not, I say, "We are atheists." If I had known how very liberating it was, I would have done it years ago!

One such inquirer was a co-worker. She stopped after the first response. More recently the parent of a student asked and didn't stop while she was ahead, so I dropped the "A" bomb. That was kind of a conversation killer, I'm afraid. She liked me up until that point because her child likes my class. I suppose she has kept it under her hat, because the kid acts the same toward me as always.

I'm too tired of hiding to hide anymore. I won't do it. I'd rather fight than hide now. I live in Tennessee, so it's probably just a matter of time.

Most mornings I attend early mass at the Temple of Bastet, which is currently sharing space with the Church of the Inner Springs. The high priestess and her altarkittens walk up and down my prostrate form, hoping for a revelation when they bite me on the chin or walk across my bladder.

And you should hear the choir... *ow!*

How 'bout Flip Wilson's Church of What's Happening Now? :wicked:

Just tell them you attend church on your patio at the bar-b-cue

...because the smell of burning flesh is pleasing unto the Lord. :brutal_01: