Goodbye Jesus

Haha, friend trying to convert me

Valgeir

We were having a discussion on politics on MSN Messenger, he was talking about a guy who bugged him, and of course because we're dealing with U.S. politics religion comes up. He's "guy".

guy says:

he's a freeper stalker and they're all nuts dude. NEVER have anything to do with free republicans, they've hit rock bottom

Anyone who can sing like Matt Barlow... please... lend me a hand (voice?) says:

I only deal with people center or left of center

And sure as hell not left of left

guy says:

and not fundamentalists.....stay away from them

guy says:

evangelicals, christians, religion in general isn't perfect but it's not evil either. none of the religions you find are really narcicisstic. shop around and you'll find what u want to believe but don't let some idiot tell u what to believe. ITS THE FUNDAMENTALISTS, dominionism which are to be avoided! they have never been about religion at all and they are fucking everywhere

I never believe what I want to believe

I believe only what I can believe

guy says:

well you should find one and stick to it...catholicism isn't all that bad. true churches, like the mormon church are best off for everybody. you should find a reasonable, well thinking religion and get close to god. because all these people CLAIMING to be close to god, are basically getting very close to hell.

I was raised Catholic

Quite frankly I can't believe something so baseless

Especially when it makes claims that directly contradict empirical reality

guy says:

there are real pluses and minuses there. the catholic hierarchy has been fucked over

by opus-dei, but there are some reasonable places. you have to look.

guy says:

i'd reccomend u investigate the mormon church by reading the book of mormon. its not like the bible and anyone who reads it, never sees out the same eyes on religion. it is an actual true book, so it has a certain feeling to it. u cant be told what to believe u can only feel it

I don't go by what I feel, I go by what I know

I understand that supernatural beliefs can relieve a number of things, questions, fears, and that's okay. But the easy answer never worked for me.

guy says:

that might be ur problem. what we "know" doesn't always give us what we want. u have to at some point feel which is right for you

It'd be easy to have a good figure who's always looking out for you and a bad figure to blame everything on

Anyone who can sing like Matt Barlow... please... lend me a hand (voice?) s

ays:

But given what I know, I don't think that's the case.

The only thing that feels right for me is the thing that makes the most sense.

guy says:

it isn't the case. when u read the scriptures, you'll find out what is true and what isn't. life here on earth isn't so different from hell. we did not get "punished" and asked for this, we punished ourselves.....its just the way it landed.

It sounds like your beliefs are more liberal, that's cool

But these beliefs don't do it for me, they are very far from scientific

guy says:

god does NOT make our world go the way around john, that's just a load of bullshit. they even say it in the book of mormon which u should read. GOD created man in his own image that one day we might atone for that. not the other way around.

guy says:

i know someone who died john but came back. when on the other side, god said that "this is what you asked for, it is your choice. you can either live or die. its not up to me. there is no reason to ask me to save everything or change everything, even though I am god, I can not do it. I hope that everyone will be able to face up to their own decisions.

I've been well-versed in Judeo-Christian mythology, Greco-Roman mythology, Norse mythology and Celtic mythology for years. You can't say it because of the social construct of today's world, but all the mythologies are the same.

guy says:

"choose your path, as I allow humanity to choose theirs. whether it is right or wrong is irrelevant to the matter. the truth is, this is your world. i did what everyone asked for. now you can do what you asked for."

If I give the Christian god any credibility I have to do the same for Zeus, Odin and Dagda

guy says:

not if they're all the same thing, john. there were many different names for the same entity. which is just another version of ourselves. god is a omnipotent figure who created the earth. he has talked to people before, and he has helped people before. but he is what is said in the scriptures. jesus created man in his own image, so that they may aspire to be like him.

guy says:

man did not create jesus, insomuch as the other way around that man's beliefs and testaments would hold greater. to be like jesus true followers show compassion to all their fellow humans. it is the hardest road anyone can ever walk. the mormon church teaches competent people how to gradually go there

guy says:

john, there are alot of aethiests. i've known many of them myself who never knew what life meant. all of them have since joined the church (some the catholic/unorthodox churches) and most every one has found peace in the mormon church. its the best beginning. not the place,people,leaders not the artificial. but the teachings are the best beginning for anyone knowing religion

Showing compassion is something I try to do whether or not there's a reward at the end of the road.

I'm not an atheist because of what I feel. I'm an atheist because every god I've been shown can be neatly disposed of.

guy says:

yeah. and when u feel the book and read the words, that's when u know. its the feeling, not what someone knows and writes on a chalkboard

I've read my share of the bible, actually.

If I wasn't an atheist before reading that book, I sure as hell was afterwards.

guy says:

not the bible. the bible itself was mis-translated 4 times its not always spoken as the "real" version.

Yes, because all versions but your own are "incorrect"

guy says:

the book of mormon. the book of mormon is very very different, very very unbiased and strange. it's another type of book

Believe me, when you look on Christianity as an outsider you see its tremendous weakness.

The books have little meaning to me.

guy says:

bible does not make it anything but confusing. that is whats true

Given what I know of physics and simple logic, I do not believe that the god depicted in them is one based in reality. Given what I know about archaeology and anthropology, I do not believe his "son Jesus" ever existed.

guy says:

to truly know, you will have to read the book of mormon and try out the doctrine of covenants. the real actual plates, were transcribed thousands of years ago (thousands) and the one fact they find interesting about the book of mormon.....is every single scientist who has attempted to disprove it, to current day and beyond, has failed to do it. it's been in every single debate this side of

That's a silly argument, and it's been refuted, no doubt

guy says:

infinity and.........all that is said is, the book itself is a true testament of another power. it is not archetype or artificial. good lesson john

It's a shame, I typically hold you to standards beyond accepting without questioning.

Where did you hear that argument? I'm sure I could find a simple and solid refutation.

guy says:

the bibles sure. but not the book of mormon itself.

Everything related to Christianity at all.

The core doctrines are fictional.

guy says:

there was a very well known physicist and scientist, reporting on it in a class. it was demonstrated too

A physicist would have nothing to do with refuting an ancient text's stories

In addition to the god of Christianity itself not making sense, and the savior of the Christians likely never having existed, many of the old testament stories are pure fiction. Most, in fact.

And I'd say just about all of the new testament is fiction.

guy says:

I can't remember his exact title but he was a nuclear scientist

Which would have nothing to do with religion

Ancient texts would be examined by linguists, theologists, archaeologists and anthropologists. Historians. Not physicists.

guy says:

they held a nationwide study on its significance with many historians and other actual linguists. the findings were the same, the core works could not be explained as a work of fiction. they stated that whatever it was, it had divine power. now, that fact has fascinated people to this day. and THOUSANDS of scientists have attempted to refute somehow the basis of the book of mormon.

guy says:

what has attracted their interest especially is that, moses was involved in writing of the plates. no one man could ever have wrote what was in those texts. not in so many profound different ways. the conclusion? the book of mormon can not be man-made exclusively. so still to this day others are drawn to it

Moses probably didn't exist.

The entirety of the Exodus story is fiction.

guy says:

what you should do is pick it up sometime. one thing i can guarantee...u will learn something. but one must first give it the chance, its all there is to it

guy says:

moses did in fact exist, and historians were able to confirm the epilogue.

guy says:

but not the bible. no one has ever confirmed all of that. sorry but what you have seen is just a confusing piece of christianity

They could not confirm Moses' existence, because it didn't happen.

There never was an Exodus.

The Israelites are a manufactured people, their escape from Egypt is comparable to Aeneas' quest from Troy to Italy in that it is myth. The Semetic tribes that became the Jews were indigenous, and originally were polytheistic- pagans. Like the Egyptians had done, they got rid of all but their chief god- Ra for Egypt, YHWH for the Jews.

guy says:

no, moses actually did exist and the records were found. in egypt if i cant remember correct. the story of his life, in the bible though and exodus was all mistranslated. there are thousands of details that were not correctly lined out so that it could be dismissed later.

In the beginning of their holy text- your old testament- there are still times where "god" refers to "himself" as "we," "us" and so on.

In fact, in the untranslated version, "Elohim" is used for "god"- Elohim is plural.

So any Christian who says they worship one god is basing their belief on a mistranslation.

guy says:

i think ud be more than surprised then by the book of mormon. it states, in one of its earliest chapters, that there are many gods and many earths and that "we", are not all alone either. but ud have to give it the chance because ultimately, where one comes to know god is through themselves. not another

Alright, maybe I'll give it a chance if I can

Right now I'm gonna go to bed, I feel kind of sick.

I'll talk to you tomorrow, man. I'm sure lots of political things will happen tomorrow.

guy says:

yah good luck to u. btw, the bible is a fraud and is by KING JAMES.

guy says:

judas and jesus were brothers. they said a bunch of shit like jesus willingly sacraficed and died, JUDAS was supposed to be sacraficed. JESUS did the brotherly thing

This sounds very interesting.

guy says:

to account for JUDAS' crimes and the spawns of satan. sadly many followers of today believe the opposite and they are following judas and.....going somewhere else

Alright, I'll talk to you tomorrow man

Goodnight

guy says:

later

I know, I kind of wimped out in the end. But my head hurts and I've been friends with this guy for a while, no point in getting into a spat about something as silly as a person's myths.

EDIT to add the rest of the conversation.

I'm pretty sure he's a Mormon sympathetic to the Catholic church... I guess...

LOL... yeah, I actually do think he's a little mentally unstable. He's a good guy, though.

LOL... yeah, I actually do think he's a little mentally unstable. He's a good guy, though.

For a Mormon (or Catholic) he sure seems fond of vulgar. I thought using vulgar was a big "no no" in many Churches today, especially those with a conservative bent.

Matthew