Goodbye Jesus

Only The Good Die Young.

Naughtyhamster

I'm curious as to how many people here have this point of view because of something that happened in thier life. If you have read past posts of mine I said of how I started questioning my beliefs after my ex pastor's nephew died of leukemia when he was six after four years of chemo and other painful treatments. I guess we have all heard these type of stories where some God fearing xtian kid dies in a car accident while the drunk driver of the other vehicle survives. Or some kid asks jeebus into thier heart then not too long after that gets cancer (or some other terrible disease), suffers for years, then dies at an early age. Is it just me but believing in a higher power actually does reduce you life span? Or a lot of it is just bad luck though it seems like you never see any arseholes getting thier just deserts ( I think of Bush and Hussein as two of these arseholes).

I think a lot of that is just superstition. Plenty of "good" people die old, and plenty of "bad" people die young.

Exactly. It only looks to be different because people's personal experiences differ. :shrug:

I guess we have all heard these type of stories where some God fearing xtian kid dies in a car accident while the drunk driver of the other vehicle survives.

For this one, at least, there's a perfectly logical and natural explanation. Among other things, alcohol is a muscle relaxant. When an intoxicated person is involved in an accident, due to the alcohol in their system they don't react as quickly as someone who's sober would, so their muscles don't tense up in anticipation of the impact. This somehow minimizes the damage to their own bodies.

I can't explain the physics of it, but I know it works. Several years ago I was involved in a rollover accident; 6 people crammed into a big pickup, no seat-belt room in the back seat, going way too fast. I remember us going around a turn and the driver losing control when the road suddenly turned more sharply and the wheels hit the gravel shoulder. I remember the truck fish-tailing as he attempted to regain control as we careened into a field. Then I remember being upside-down with the headrest on the driver's seat pressing into my chest amidst the chaos that followed.

The driver lost a large patch of skin off his left forearm, one of my friends had his shoulder broken but good, another was thrown from the vehicle and I came out with nothing more than two small but fairly deep cuts on my right hand. Only reason I can see for it is that I blacked out (and I imagine my body went limp) just before we started rolling. Just like an intoxicated driver's body stays loose and relaxed when their car collides with something.

Or some kid asks jeebus into thier heart then not too long after that gets cancer (or some other terrible disease), suffers for years, then dies at an early age.

There's a joke there. It's a terrible one, and I can't think of a good way to put it, but there is most certainly a joke there. :wicked:

Hey Woodsmoke I know what you are saying. When I was a teenager I was drunker than shit passed out in the back of a car that my friend wrapped around a tree. He busted his face up pretty bad, and I didn't have a scratch on me because I was just limp and relaxed.

As I have stated many times as a healthcare worker at a busy Level One Trauma center, you learn to get used to just about everything except kids with cancer. I can kind of understand the logic if a kid is taken out suddenly from a Christian point of view that God wanted them, but why the fuck would God want to make a child suffer for years only to die in the end?

To sum up this whole dicussion..........LIFE JUST AIN'T FUCKING FAIR. I think we do tend to put more of a focus on people when they are nothing but kind and gentle folks who die young. My grandfather was a wonderful man whole lived to be 91 where I had an uncle who was an asshole that lived to be 96. It equals out, but we just don't take time to notice.

Well I started this post as I also once found two totally opposite verses in the Bible, which I cannot remember at the moment, concerning this ordeal. In one verse (I think it was in Leviticus) said that "evil people die young." , but on the other hand some other verse said "the good die young if God doesn't want them to be spoiled by the rest of society." I don't remember these from the top of my head so forgive me for any misinterpretations. If anyone can find those verses maybe it would be good to post them here to see the crazy paradox of some Bible verses. :D

Also have you ever noticed you never hear in the media about some faithful Muslim kid dying from some horrible disease? Usually if you hear of some Muslim kid dying it's usually in the war or some crazy teenage suicide bomber. It seems as if gawd seems to like to zap the xtian kids with all the horrible diseases, while kids of other faiths die in wars around the world (usually at the hands of xtians).

I did think of a quick story that does refute the only the good die young cliche'. In my growing years I was a very small skinny child and was sometimes a victim of bullying from this juvinille delinquint asshole in my class. I hated that fucker and he was nothing but a burden to society. Several years after graduation I read he died in a snowmobile accident. The violin music was playing in my head, not. Some people do get theirs in the end, but for all I know this asshole changed, but I doubt it.

Also have you ever noticed you never hear in the media about some faithful Muslim kid dying from some horrible disease? Usually if you hear of some Muslim kid dying it's usually in the war or some crazy teenage suicide bomber. It seems as if gawd seems to like to zap the xtian kids with all the horrible diseases, while kids of other faiths die in wars around the world (usually at the hands of xtians).

I think you'll find its because the media doesn't give a shit if the kid isn't american.... or a least white. Think darfur. Death and rape at government sponsered level. But no-one gives a shit 'cause they're black, poor, and have nothing you want (I say "you" meaning your country not you "you"). Think of the coverage given to a little black girl from "somewhere dustyville" who gets raped and killed. Probably about the same length as a little white american kid who bruises easily. "TONIGHT ON FOX, One childs struggle with having to wear extra padding when he plays football!".

I think it is a coping mechanism for parents who have to deal with the grief of a dying child. Sadly, anyone can die at anytime, and you don't have to be good either.

[intro]

Dawg....I shouldn't have left, They wouldn't have tried this shit if I was wit ya

Maybe we would have picked another time

Or chose anotha way

Or maybe my prayers would have convinced him to choose another soul

Shit, it's just me, mum and Tony now

Man you look so peaceful right now... how can I argue wit that

They say...

[Chorus]

They say the good die young,

Thats why I think that you should have fun (when your young)

Cos time won't wait for no one (uh huh)

When god calls, you gotta go home (go home)

They say the good die young, (die young)

Thats why I know that we go' have fun,

In this life cos you only get one

When God calls for me, don't cry till I just went home

[Kon Artis]

It's true that everybody heard, there mama say every days like this

When you see, one of your friends die in the mist

In the struggle, went through circumstances

Arrested every day just to prove a point to a friend

Even then, accidents are prone to happen to any man

A woman is dumb enough to pretend

That her, god won't hold them accountable for sins

If they commit, they try to repent the sense of Repent

But I guess (thats just the way things go)

I was blessed to see 24 (24)

To wake up to that "Hi, my name is" video

Motivated me to write what i wrote

And I knew my little brother sold dope

An mom and daddy want to move our road

I did it, I still got a lot to prove and show

I just which we ain't have to lose Bugz to the struggle

Cos you know...

[Chorus]

[bizzare]

I know you used to Bizzare on some silly shit

But niggas in my cliq, is dying quick

In Detroit, niggas don't party

They pull a .44 out, snatch off Bacardis

Thats why I keep the pistol under the trunk

I'm 27 years old, too old to be getting jumped

And fuck rap, I miss Karnail Pitts, b-u-g-z

Tattooed on my wrist

Me and you in the jeep, listen to swing beats

It's a shame me and Fuzz don't even speak

I got married, my wife name is D

Peace to 31 and 51-50, miss you

[Kuniva]

I came back on that tragic, my phone rung

And Bizarres voice telling me, Bugz was gone home

It was like a knife piercing my chest and I couldn't breath

I didn't wanna accept it, didn't wanna believe it

I swear with this weight dawg, I cried so hard

Literally, Denaun had to carry me to the car

While I stand in this booth now it's tearing me apart

But I had to let it out cos it was tearing at my heart

Cos he died over something so petty and so small

A human life is so very precious I hope ya'll

Understand how I'm feeling cos I love you bugz

I wanna rhyme wit you, laugh wit you, hug you bugz

But I can't and you was so close to seeing dreams

A coward came along and took you away from the team

So don't mistake this track as just another song

This goes out to everyone who lost a loved one

Cos you know

[Chorus]

[Proof]

They say it's never too late, to have an early childhood

If I could, turn back the hands of time, God should

Forgive what i did as a kid to run blocks

Now my dreams are just dream cops and gun shots

The fun stops when your homies up in a box

My dudey bole, rest his soul, snuffed by the cops

I use to question a lot, if there's a guy by me say something

If you love her so much why didn't u gave nothing

When he took my homie, snuck was only in 11th grade

Now I hope to see your face at the heaven gates

It ain't never late in the game, this hating remains

With a grudge to see slugs straight through my frame

My heart aches with the pain, the life in his breath

We gotta have fun now, theres only minutes left

In the depth, distress young as a ??? did

To get tats of my fallen homies, I ain't got enough skin

[Chorus]

[swifty]

When I was younger I knew four brothers that wasn't wise

That crash and the driver died,

My partner on the passenger side was paralysed

And I'm surprised by the look of that ride that the other peeps survived

Nine months later another one died

Somebody shot him in the side when he was starting up his ride

3 years go by, I made a hell of a run

And that's when funky got done, a joey playing wit guns

And tookie over funds, karty was my man

And reggy, I wish that I was wit you in that van

And Bugz if it wasn't for you

You know I wouldn't be standing in this booth,

Thats the truth, I miss ya'll...

[Chorus x2]

:scratch: Let me see. Is this something from Tupac? I'm not into rap, so whose song is this?

They say living a stressful life can considerably shorten it. Those who try to live "good" lives from the Christian point of view are fighting against doing things that are most natural. I'd say this could cause considerable stress (especially for those who are homosexual and fight it for instance), so then yes, it would makes sense that the "good" die young.

Just a thought.

People die young because of bad genetics, bad decisions or just plain old bad luck. To believe there is some kind of force behind it, picking off the "good" people early, is just wishful thinking. I think in the case of kids with cancer.... it's a very hard pill to swallow. But the reality is that cancer doesn't know how old someone is or whether they've been good or bad or anything else, cancer just goes about its business and does what it does. What about the kids who get cancer, suffer with it for awhile, beat it, then go on to live happy long lives? Does that mean they were bad when they had cancer and the "force" decided to allow them live longer? Doesn't make sense....

People die young because of bad genetics, bad decisions or just plain old bad luck. To believe there is some kind of force behind it, picking off the "good" people early, is just wishful thinking. I think in the case of kids with cancer.... it's a very hard pill to swallow.

If there's any worse sight than a little kid in a casket, I don't know what it could be. I've seen two, and I hope never to see another one. But you just never know. It's bad enough to be looking at them lying dead, and you are kin to them, and you held them and kissed them and laughed with them just recently. That's bad enough. Then here come the religionists and supernaturalists "explaining" it beyond what it is, and that's the worst part...keeping your mouth shut.

The gods of ancient Greece could be as much of a jackass as the xtian god when it comes to zapping good kids dead. I remember this summer my art history professor had said that the belief "Only the good die young." was actually an ancient Greek superstition before it became a Christian one. He told us this myth where these two young men loved their widowed mother so much that they would do anything for her. One day when they were on thier way home from the market the wheels on their wagon broke off, so the two brothers pulled the wagon with thier mother in it. Later on she took her sons to Zeus's temple ( if I can remember it was either Zeus or one of the other major Olympian gods) to ask him a favor to reward her sons for thier exceptional behavior. She asked Zeus to reward her sons by keeping them forever young and strong. Thats when they were zapped by Zeus and dropped dead. The young mens' mother was quite pissed off at this until Zeus explained that the only way they would stay young and strong is if they died and were taken into Elysian Fields ( the Greek version of Valhalia or Heaven). These days there are statues of these young men on display somewhere in Greece as a reminder to people "only the good die young."

They say living a stressful life can considerably shorten it. Those who try to live "good" lives from the Christian point of view are fighting against doing things that are most natural. I'd say this could cause considerable stress (especially for those who are homosexual and fight it for instance), so then yes, it would makes sense that the "good" die young.

Just a thought.

Well, considering Willie Nelson has got to be into his 80s or 90s by now and continues stubbornly refusing to die, there may be something to the longevity of a hedonistic lifestyle. :wicked:

:HaHa:

The gods of ancient Greece could be as much of a jackass as the xtian god when it comes to zapping good kids dead.

The difference here, of course, is the doctrinal morality of the respective deities. Whereas babble god is supposed to be all loving, the ancient Greeks made no bones about their pantheon being a bunch of supernatural assholes. :P