Goodbye Jesus

That Whacked Out Smile They Give

CyborgX

When I was a Christian I think I remember some preacher saying something that the world can't stand Christian's happiness or something. I don't know.

But I was thinking of this one interview this guy did (a link to the YouTube video was posted in here somewhere) where this guy went back to his Christian school and interviewed the director. As soon as he started asking some very honest questions, the directory suddenly got this really crazy smile on his face, closing his eyes. I guess Christians would say "it is a smile of peacefullness given to him by the Holy Spirit as He reveals the Truth to him. The man is so in the Spirit's Peace!" or something. To me now it looked like the guy was high on something. I've seen this smile in other Christians at a point just before they start getting self-riteous as if they know more than you do about something that is blatently obvious that they are wrong. It's crazy... like they go into a trance or something.

Anyone notice that?

Not that I'm complaining TOO much. I mean it's better than them taking a punch at ya or starting a physical fight. But that smile makes me feel like I want to slap it clean off their faces (though I do know I am a strong person who has the reserve to resist the temptation to do that, thankfully).

But it just makes me wonder if the idea of questioning puts them into some kind of pre-programmed trance where they are not totally 'there' anymore, if you mean? Pretty scary and powerful, if you ask me, that type of mind-control.

Or the WBC lady's crazy smile in one YouTube video I saw where she was being interviewed by Fox News.

It's as if they are just totally not there.... Blank.... No soul.

Is it me or did anyone else notice that? I'd be interested in what some would have to say about this. It gives me the impression that for some, this religion can alter a state of conscienceness just by uttering simple key words, phrases, etc. but I don't know how it happens that they get to the point where it works on them.

Yeah, I have noticed that a lot. I notice also that they will tend to scoff when you're explaining your point, as though they have the answer. It might be that they know you're wrong, even if they can't prove it, and smile helplessly because of it. Or it could be that they do switch off so as not to be subjected to logic that could force them to evaluate their beliefs.

Is it me or did anyone else notice that? I'd be interested in what some would have to say about this. It gives me the impression that for some, this religion can alter a state of conscienceness just by uttering simple key words, phrases, etc. but I don't know how it happens that they get to the point where it works on them.

I noticed that where my former fundy cube mate was concerned. He was a born again evangelical. I haven't noticed it with too many Christians, but the fundies I've met do that. I think it has to do with them being brainwashed more than everyone else, even the run of the mill Christians.

So, what about the whole bunch here? I'm handicapped of course because I never was a True Morontheist™ ;), but how about the ex-fundies among us? Do they remember acting the same before a fortunate occasion turned their brain back on? :3: And if so, do they remember what they thought? :scratch:

As a fundie I felt it necessary to smile all the time, even when I was depressed. Not having a smile on your face meant being possessed by satan. So I couldn't "let Satan have the victory over my life" so I kept that ridiculous plastered smile on my face while singing hymns at the sametime.

I think "the smile" is more for show than anything. They want you to know they are filled with Christ love...or something...

I remember when I was a fundie that the smile meant a number of things, depending on the context. It was something that people were supposed to wear in church, while worshipping, to show that they were filled with the Holah Spurt. When given to people in situations of witnessing or explaining apologetics, it was an expression of pity as much as anything. I know it came across my face sometimes when someone was trying to argue the stupidity of my religion, and I thought something they were saying was wrong or misguided. It was sort of this pitying, "Oh, this poor misguided heathen doesn't know how wrong they are" condescending little grin, half pity, half arrogance.

I've also seen it as an ex-C'r on the faces of fundies trying to sell their faith, in that enthusiastic, semi-detached way that certain salespeople will act, when they're trying to sell you something but they're more connected to their programmed spiel than they are with what you're actually saying to them.

Either that, or maybe they just have to take a shit all of a sudden.

Either that, or maybe they just have to take a shit all of a sudden.

THAT'S IT! I KNEW I smelled something funny! That explains everything since they are so full of shit! :HaHa:

I think it's the eyes, actually. After seeing Jim Bakker on the PTL Club I realized that all the fundies who tried to convert me had the same damn pinched look around their eyes.

That's why the smile looks so weird -- I sense that they're (unsuccessfully) trying to repress various emotions such as anger, arrogance and their own doubts.

I'm not sure what smile in particular is referred to here, but it reminded me of when I was away from home working at a church school in Mexico and later going to nursing school, and when I would go home for a visit I got a few comments about how I didn't smile as much as I used to. I think I was actually starting to see life more seriously and maybe that's why I smiled less, but now that I think about it, it seems odd that someone at my fundy Baptist church would notice a thing like that. I do remember how I used to think that I had to put on a happy face whenever in public, even now I try to, but it's maybe because I don't like to inflict my bad mood on those around me. I'm more likely to be grouchy with my children or husband, but even at home I make an effort to be patient and not too negative. It could also be part of my personality trait of people pleasing. I don't want to make anyone upset. If that's true, it seems strange that I've made practically a 180 turn from just a year ago in spite of disapproval from those around me. It must be because I got so sick of living in fear and anxiety and started seeing the inconsistencies at church.

Sparkyone

It's interesting, I saw the local town Christmas Parade today, and the only participants that weren't smiling or seemingly enjoying themselves were the ones on the fundy church's float!

Reminds me of the very fitting depiction of the death cult in that goo' ol' movie "name of the Rose"... what did old bastard Jorge say again? "Laughter is a devilish wind..." :banghead:

Guest ZombieJesusAteMyBrains

I saw that film you are talking about and the school principle reminded me a lot of one particular guy who was principle at the Christian school I attended. That smile means "I don't have a prepared answer to your argument, and aren't you just a smartass for coming up with something that logical. Maybe this forced smile will keep you in suspense while I take a moment to wrack my brain for the most believable blow-off to your argument."

I have seen that smile before as well. I'm sure it means different things for different people though. The most recent ones I've witnessed however, looked like nervous smiles more than anything. It reminded me of when chimpanzees are frightened, it looks like they are smiling, but it's the grin of fear.

It was sort of this pitying, "Oh, this poor misguided heathen doesn't know how wrong they are" condescending little grin, half pity, half arrogance.

This was it for me, too.

Go ahead and talk about your silly science and the earth being 65 billion years old and dinosaurs and evolution and natural selection crap.

The wisdom of the world is just so much foolishness to God.

So, the smile. And the pitying. And the knowledge that the poor fool is going to wind up in hell if he doesn't lay down his prideful hard-heart and fall at the foot of the cross.

Jesus. I'm embarassed to even write this shit now.