Goodbye Jesus

Roman Records

Guest DOUG ADAM

Guest DOUG ADAM

Many articles contain the assertion that Roman records show that many "would be Mesiahs were executed but none mention the name of Jeusus" Where can I find the mentioned Roman Records

Many articles contain the assertion that Roman records show that many "would be Mesiahs were executed but none mention the name of Jeusus" Where can I find the mentioned Roman Records

This argument holds no water.

There are no roman records that list the names of those who were crucified. It took a pretty big crucifixion party to even get mentioned (500 or more at a time was not unusual)

This is one of the arguments against Tacitus' knowledge of Jesus being grounded in fact.

Earl Doherty writes:

The Roman historian Tacitus, in his Annals written around 115, makes the first pagan reference to Jesus as a man executed in the reign of Tiberius. This is not likely to have been the result of a search of some archive, for the Romans hardly kept records of the countless crucifixions around the empire going back almost a century. We have no evidence of such extensive record-keeping

Within Josephus' writings there are plenty of messiah wannabe's, though. You can find the works of Flavius Josephus at earlychristianwritings.com.

Dont forget to discount Josephus' mention of Jesus which was almost certainly a faked entry placed in the records many years later.

Dont forget to discount Josephus' mention of Jesus which was almost certainly a faked entry placed in the records many years later.

I did a pretty in depth study on Josephus' and his histories...Most indeed tend to be fake..and Josephus'was indeed years after Jesus...thus even he only heard stories..Seems Christian love to hold Josephus'up as a solid record account..Thats almost as good as saying Joe Smooth of the year 1990 recrorded the historical works of George Washington...so the same holds true for Josephus

You won't find them. They don't exist. The believer might assert that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence; obviously, this is not a method used in any other field save for THEOLOGY. One can only wonder why.

Permission from Rome would have been required for such a minor official as Pontius Pilate to execute a political prisoner, e.g. Jesus, especially at the request of the Sanhedrin, who were supposedly rabbis of great esteem but were also most certainly collaborators with the Romans, enriching themselves on their fellow Jews. Jesus upset more than the moneychangers' tables at the Temple, you know...he also upset the Sanhedrin's Money-Maker.

There are some records of such permissions, I have read, but none that mention Jesus. I have also read that these records are now in the possession of the Vatican Library, but such assertions are common concerning missing documents. Perhaps some of them are true, but how would ordinary people ever know?

• 8 months later...

how aobut philo,pliny the elder and younger,and try type roman records in google.

oh yeah,i havent start josephus yet-but what does they mean when the writting style of josephus is different from that passage?