Goodbye Jesus

The Reason For The Season

Mythra

I thought I'd start a thread to talk about things we like about christmas that have nothing whatsoever to do with Jesus. Let's face it - for a whole bunch of people christmas is a nice holiday - and jesus isn't even in the picture.

I don't think religionists should have the exclusive rights to this holiday.

So, here's a couple things I always liked about christmas:

I like the way a fresh christmas tree gives the whole house the smell of pine.

I liked to see how excited my kids were (when they were little) on christmas morning, when they first laid eyes on what santa brought them.

What do you like about christmas (besides the legend that it's jesus' birthday, I mean) ?

Cool topic Mythra.

I like the lights! This time of year after going out to dinner, I say to my mate, "Let's go drive this dinner off and look at lights". I like shopping for presents for others, not just because I find cool things for them, but because I finds lots of cool things for me too. I like the snow. I like how early it gets dark. I like the fact that people feel excited about culture and this time of year. It's a festive time, that we compensate for the darkness with festivity. It's cool that way. Let's just keep Christ out of Christmas, and it will remain fun!

Happy Festivus to you!

I like to see houses all decorated up, too.

And, I like homemade peanut brittle.

And, I like watching "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" on TV. Although I do feel awful sorry for Grinch's little dog.

Jesus is reason for the season. Bah.

My kids were little when I was a fundy. I'd tell them all about the manger and the wise men, and the shepherds and the little baby jesus and all that.

After I was done, they'd say - "How much longer before Santa comes?"

I don't think it will ever be possible to totally and completely de-Christianize Christmas. Just like the Christians never managed to totally de-paganize it.

Therefore, I suggest we turn July 4 into a gift-giving holiday, when Paul Revere will ride through town and give us our presents.

However, I do like these new Hershey's Kisses with the Cherry Cordial cream inside. Holy shit. I mean seriously. If there was holy shit, as in, shit shat by God, it would be these cherry cordial Kisses. Of course they're for a limited time only, the Hershey bastards. I plan on buying several dozen bags, and as I eat light I imagine they will last me for the next couple decades.

I'm not a Christmas-light person because every time I see a display all I think about is, "Jesus, I bet those poor jerks almost killed themselves putting that stuff up. And then almost kill themselves taking it down. Any they know that, too, which means they'll take their sweet damn time taking it down. Goddamn it I hate people who keep Christmas stuff out until February. What is that? A fucking pumpkin? Don't they have ordinances or whatever is this neighborhood?"

As I'm not a kid person, I don't like the greedy little glint in their eyes when they beg for their loot.

I don't know exactly what I think of the holiday apart from Christianity because I was raised with an on-again/off-again relationship to it, in that certain years we would celebrate in some way and other years I might be in school or moving on Christmas day. One of the pastors during my childhood was a very extreme Baptist fundy who didn't believe in celebrating it perhaps because of the pagan origens or maybe because of the commercialization of it and because they didn't believe Jesus was really born in December, but probably October. So, now my husband and I are having fun getting into all the gift buying, decorating, and stuff, but staying within a reasonable budget and not wearing ourselves out over it.

The boys had their Christmas party at school this week before starting vacation and before the kids opened their gift exchange gifts the pastor's wife told them that the reason we give gifts to each other is because of God's gift of his son to us. I got to thinking that I actually give gifts because it makes me feel good to do it and maybe brighten someone's day, etc. I don't pretend to do it for any other reason except love for family and/or making myself feel good. Does it really matter?

Sparkyone

Decorating! Today my neighbor put up her wreath. I had my decorations up. Stupid me I didn't turn my lights on tonight and it's Winter Solstice! Ah well... I'm still learning. It wasn't snowing today either.

But I love putting up a tree, decorating the hallway. Seeing the lights. Very pretty. And eating good food!

I have Christian friends who do NOT celebrate Christmas on December 25th. Instead, they usually celebrate the Sunday after or closest to it, whichever is convenient for the family get-together. I have family members who don't even put up a tree at all, even though they are church going, because it's a lot of 'trouble' to do.

Depends on the person. And your traditions, I guess. I just love the lights and decoarations around this time of year.

I don't think it will ever be possible to totally and completely de-Christianize Christmas. Just like the Christians never managed to totally de-paganize it.

Therefore, I suggest we turn July 4 into a gift-giving holiday, when Paul Revere will ride through town and give us our presents.

However, I do like these new Hershey's Kisses with the Cherry Cordial cream inside. Holy shit. I mean seriously. If there was holy shit, as in, shit shat by God, it would be these cherry cordial Kisses. Of course they're for a limited time only, the Hershey bastards. I plan on buying several dozen bags, and as I eat light I imagine they will last me for the next couple decades.

I'm not a Christmas-light person because every time I see a display all I think about is, "Jesus, I bet those poor jerks almost killed themselves putting that stuff up. And then almost kill themselves taking it down. Any they know that, too, which means they'll take their sweet damn time taking it down. Goddamn it I hate people who keep Christmas stuff out until February. What is that? A fucking pumpkin? Don't they have ordinances or whatever is this neighborhood?"

As I'm not a kid person, I don't like the greedy little glint in their eyes when they beg for their loot.

Whatever you are imbibing tonight, I join you in a toast to the spirit of the season! :beer: Your hersey kisses sound... intocicating. Yes, in my looking at the lights I often think of the labor that went behind the whole dsplay, but then again, their problem is my pleasure. :grin: . This year in Minnesota seems like a better year for lights that the last several since 2001 following the stupidst attacks on the towers in NY. I had thought the lights that year were due to a sense of nationalism, of holding out our culture in the face of attack. But seeing the displays this year rivaling that of that year, I now conlude it was due to the fact the it was warmer much longer into the season this year as in 2001. More time for people to spend hanging all these lighted displays. Oh well... another mythology bites the dust. It's still nice nonelthess. Happy Saturnalia, and may the festival lights shine brightly in your rituals this year!

IAs I'm not a kid person, I don't like the greedy little glint in their eyes when they beg for their loot.

Oh, how can you say that, Nabooru? Kids are wonderful.

post-389-1166852693_thumb.jpg

I like the lights. Especially living here where it's gray and cloudy for most of the winter; the lights liven things up a lot. And I like having a fire in the fireplace, whether it's a yule log or just a little hot crackly fire with pinecones on it. Even though the smoke isn't good for local air quality, I confess I love the smell of a wood fire.

I like the food and drink, too. Hot chocolate, mulled cider, mulled mead, all the little snacky things like satsumas and chocolatey nibbles... I like those chocolate oranges that you whack on a hard surface and all the "slices" fall apart. And chocolate-covered cherries. And I dig that it's crab season around here right now. :yum:

I like a lot of the smells that go with the holiday season too - pine cones, pine trees, cinnamon, bayberry candles, oranges, chocolate. Even some of our old Xmas decorations had a certain smell to them, like vanilla or old mint or musty beeswax. That's probably a lot of the appeal, for me, the various scents.

The carols kind of annoy me though. Most of them.

Carols from King's College, Cambridge.

Cold morning air..

Bright brass, dull olive drab links, bright green cartridge tips lined up in mechanical perfection.

Silence right before the Holiday Blast begins, everyone holding their breath, forefinger pads waiting to touch triggers.

Watching the Range Officer signal "Ready!"

Then "FIRE!"

Arcs of tracers raising over desert, cutting through the unending brightness of blue.

Noise pounding through the ear protection, sights of flying brass, unhinged used links tossed, and the recoil from the line of arms firing Our Celebration of The Season.

After the fire is ended, cooling arms smoking, scents of powder and primers from every land, piles of brass steaming in what snow we may have, toasts with hot drinks to those we have lost, and to all of we who carry on.

Our Tradition, our Lives, the way we choose to do things alive another year.

kFL

I like the lights, the food, and the smells. I even like some of the music, but not the overly religious stuff.

Catching up with friends is my favorite part of Christmas.

In Australia it is the height of summer and we have daylight saving as well. So. if doesn't get dark until after 8 at night.

Leads to lots of sitting round with friends with nibblies and drinks and talking about old times. Often only see these friends at Christmas, then that's it for another year.

Lots of pretty lights on houses.

The way the country goes into a lazy siesta for the month of January. (It is the long school break of 6-7 weeks as well).

Everyone just gets into beachculture and catching up with friends over a few drinks. Very lazy!

Church isn't really a part of it. They put ads in the papaer about when their Christmas services are, but I doubt that anyone reads them.

This is my first true "Mas" - Christmas without the Christ. Christmas was always pretty secular in our house to begin with, we didn't have a nativity scene or anything (though we did have an angel on the tree-and still do).

Anyway, the presents of course are good. I've organised myself a MacBook under the tree thanks to good grades, and good savings.

Christmas lunch is always good. All of my mum's side of the family, and my dad's mother, come to our house and we show off our presents and have a good time. No-one gets drunk, because it's a mid-day family thing.

I've got piano duties, as per usual, but this year I've really gotten into my music, and I've learnt a few more songs than the standard Jingle Bells (including some religious songs, like Silent Night).

I love the lights, the scent of the tree, the decorations, presents, music (if it's not overly traditional...I hate Bing Crosby) and good food and good company. That's what Christmas has always been about for me.

Last night I went out with my best friend since high school to see a play, then we went for a steak dinner and drinks. Tonight I'm going over to a friends house, and then to another friend's house tomorrow. It's going to be a GREAT weekend.

I got my two Christmas wishes too. I got my cable internet back (after a really NASTY windstorm in my area knocked it out for over a week) and a new job I get to start after the new year!

Cool thread topic!

I LOVE Christmas. This is the first Christmas since we will celebrate, post totally abandoning christianity. I wasn't sure how it was going to go or what we would even do. But we have found that we just love having all the kids around, the lights, tree, food, pine smell (as someone else mentioned), and have found that there's lots more to Christmas than jesus. I have the entire week off from work this week as well, except for a couple of 3-4 hour gigs.

We love to watch Christmas movies, our favorites being "It's A Wonderful Life," "Miracle On 34th Street," "Home Alone," and now "Elf" has become a favorite (Zooey Deschanel is HOT, especially in those red tights, LOL).

Yesterday my wife and I went to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra in concert. That was awesome, despite the heavy christian message in most of the music.

Tomorrow we have dinner with our next door neighbors with whom have become good friends. They are christians, and we haven't really told them of our spiritual status, but I don't think it would really matter to them.

Tonight we stay up late, watch movies, play board games, and then go to bed listening to old time radio shows.

Life is good!

A few years ago I thought people were nuts for not going to church at christmas. Now I see that they were simply smart.

For me, Christmas is about doing something nice for others and showing appreciation for what they do for me. I like the christmas lights. I think they're pretty to look at when I drive home from work. They add a nice glow to the night.

I love watching christmas movies. Some of my favorites are National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, How The Grinch Stole Christmas, and A Christmas Story. They put a smile on my face and have no mention of religion in them.

As for songs, it all depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll listen to some christmas music, sometimes I won't. But this is the only time of year when I can get away with whistling or humming them. So I take advantage of it while I can. Again, nothing religious for me.

I also like the turkey dinner. Turkey and stuffing, potatoes, gravy, some green veggies and salad are a great meal. I live all by my lonesome so its rare that I get a chance to eat a meal like that. Mmmmm... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it already.

Like others I like the holiday. It's a nice break from rushing around. A time to relax, and recharge.

I actually hate xmas. Lights, shopping, cooking and the whole mess. It's always been a source of stress. Yes I know I'm a scrooge, but christmas is for little kids and rich people. It really sux when you can't afford to give your kids presents like the other kids get.

I made a tradition 15 years ago where we take down our tree on xmas day and burn it. We all write on a piece of paper all the bad stuff that happened to us during the past year and put it in the tree and burn it away. This ritual has become more meaningful to my kids than putting up the tree.

This year I finally confessed to myself and the world that I am no longer a believer and wouldn't you know it, my husband starts going to church. He puts up a big cross on the porch all lit up and everyone that knows me is like whats that all about? I told them it was a big "T" and that it stood for Think. LOL

((((Xandermac)))))) Okay, wow that is a cool traditon. burnign your tree xmas day and writting down stuff to be burned with the tree... when I was a kid growing up my mom would keep the thing up forever.. one year we had a artifical tree it was up till Easter. I kid you not. :shrug:

sorry your hubby is going to church and putting up a huge cross or should I say T.. If it makes you feel any better.. I laughed loud here.. I love it a T for think. That is a good one. I think that is the funniest thing I have heard all week.. :wicked: Thank you.

I actually hate xmas. Lights, shopping, cooking and the whole mess. It's always been a source of stress. Yes I know I'm a scrooge, but christmas is for little kids and rich people. It really sux when you can't afford to give your kids presents like the other kids get.

I made a tradition 15 years ago where we take down our tree on xmas day and burn it. We all write on a piece of paper all the bad stuff that happened to us during the past year and put it in the tree and burn it away. This ritual has become more meaningful to my kids than putting up the tree.

This year I finally confessed to myself and the world that I am no longer a believer and wouldn't you know it, my husband starts going to church. He puts up a big cross on the porch all lit up and everyone that knows me is like whats that all about? I told them it was a big "T" and that it stood for Think. LOL

OMG Xander, I can relate to a couple of things you said. I enjoy Christmas, but we can't afford to give the kids all the things they want and the type of things their rich friends get. Then again, the same goes for school supplies and clothes and such, apart from christmas.

I am so glad that my wife and I are on the same page when it comes to religion. My ex, however is an extreme fundy and that is a royal bitch most of the time.

Anyway, I hope things get better for you.