Goodbye Jesus

I Got Lucky

DanInPA

Hi all.

I've been procrastinating long enough.

Background: Raised by my very christian grandmother, church and SS every week, even sang hymns before bed. Lost her at age 18, then lived with my non- church-going but still a believer mom. Moved out and partied hard in my 20's, but I did think I had a better understanding of right and wrong than lots of the other kids (that's right, if you're in your 20's you're a kid to me :Old: I thought that was due to my christian upbringing :shrug: . In the area where I live, it seems that even if you're not a "devout" christian, the possibility that it isn't true never enters your mind.

Note-all of my church experience was in the United Methodist denomination.

Went back to church for a couple years while married to my first wife and helping raise her boy and girl. Saw all the clique BS :ugh: I remember one time in a SS class, while disussing heaven, I had the thought "How do you know that when you die you don't just stop existing?" Also, the verse about being lukewarm bothered me a little.

So...she cheated, we got divorced, soon after I met my wonderful current wife, Tammy. When she mentioned she'd like to start attending church, my response was it had to be all or nothing, no lukewarm shit. So we dove in wholeheartedly.

We did bible studies, she sang (still does) on the "praise team", anything they asked we did.

So one Saturday a while back I was flipping channels and caught the movie Stigmata. In it is a very negative portrayal of organized religion (the catholic church in particular) and a qoute from the Gospel of Thomas.

I was intrigued and googled "gospel of thomas". The first site I found was sort of a "many paths to one creator" type. I'd see a word or phrase that interested me and copy/paste/google that. In a very short time I had visited probably hundreds of websites.

By now I was convinced that the traditional churches were BS. Then I found Acharya whatshername's site, and this essay was the final nail in the coffin of my belief in a god/gods. I've since learned that she may not be the best source for information, but at least I was free :woohoo:

More googling later I found Dave's site, and I've been addicted since day one. I love this place and visit every day, even though I don't post much.

Thanks Dave and all the posters. Did I say I love this place?

Oh, and can I get the cool Athiest thingy under my avatar?

• Admin
Oh, and can I get the cool Athiest thingy under my avatar?

You got it!

Thanks Dave!

Did I say I love this place?

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Did I say I love this place?

:woohoo:   :woohoo:   :woohoo:   :woohoo:  

Dan, we're glad to have you here!

It seems that your time in the Cult might have left you a little less scarred than many of its other victims.

We celebrate your good health and your exit. :woohoo:

-Reach

Thank you Reach.

I never had any bad expieriences like some who post here. It really saddens me sometimes the things people will do to fellow humans in the name of some fictitious deity.

Just that when the truth stares one in the face,

how can you continue to believe the BS, ya know :Doh:

Welcome Dan. I read Massey's article once more. I still have to find out thoroughly how things happened that time. It's a whole mess IMHO. What comes from what, what's missing? Etc. Isn't there somewhere a historical database? Or even better an environment that takes all stories into account, assigns dates, formulates inconsistencies, tries out other hypothesis. I don't think one person can keep all these things in mind. I can't. What's true in the works of Mark, Velikovsky, Von Däniken?