Goodbye Jesus

New Year's Eve

Ex-COG

We talk a lot about Christmas, and how we deal with it now that we've left the faith. But what about New Year's? How has that changed for you?

In my case, not a lot. Growing up, we didn't do anything special for New Year's Eve as my parents came from a non-drinking/non-partying background. I mostly remember just being allowed to stay up late as a kid, watching the celebration specials on TV. When I was old enough, I did go to a few parties, but in my mid twenties I "got saved". Then the only parties I attended were given by church members. No alcohol was provided as that was still frowned upon by the church majority. We'd just hang out all night, playing games, and some would then go out for breakfast in the morning. Still more exciting than my sister's church, where they would have a late service to "pray in" the new year. (As if it wouldn't appear with out their supplication... :Hmm: ) And now...well I'm still not the partying type. I've been to a few, but I don't stay out all night long. This year I don't have any big plans; I'll visit family in the afternoon, but will head back home before too late. Might pop a few DVD's in the player, or catch that interview with Richard Dawkins on BookTV (Cspan2) about "The God Delusion", which will be on at 12 a.m. (ET) Exciting, huh? Yeah, I know, I'm a :loser: !

I'm the same. It doesn't sound too exciting. But I have nothing special planned. I'm just treating this like a regular long weekend. I spent my christmas rushing around. This year, I'm planning on just taking it easy for New Year's.

When I was in college I was into the parties. But I just grew tired of the new year's parties. I don't see the need to spend a lot of money on an outing for a night. I can celebrate the ringing in of the new year just fine from home (and it's at no extra cost to me).

Like you I attended the new year's eve celebrations at church when I was a christian. They were fun right up until the end of the night when the senior pastor would do the guilt trip asking for money deal. That spoiled the event for me. Of course alcohol was prohibited.

Last year I attended a couple of church events. One was a performance of Blue Like Jazz. Not a lot of people attended. At about mid-point one of my friends and I left. We went to another church where they were doing a night club like worship thingy. It seemed like night club. They had the blarring music. Strobe lights, and smoke. That wasn't for me. I spent the whole night wishing I had just stayed home.

So its R&R for me. :D

I am for the first time in years going to my mom and sis's house. I think my aunt is coming and a very fundy friend of mine is also going to come. I think we are going to order chinese food watch a movie and maybe play a game or something... we'll see if anyone but me makes it to midnight.

I was thinking about going to a online dating get together that one of the local groups is having tonight at a bar downtown.. I would have gone if I had another single girlfriend to go with did not want to go alone and be downtown with a bunch of drunk crazy people trying to get home. And there was no way I would ask my fundy friend to come with me.. I already know the response that I would get.

I woud just stay home but I think I would get depressed staying home alone by myself on new years.

Ex-COG,

New Years Eve is often a sober celebration around haciendaFatman. we take up the glasses and pour our favorite celebratory liquids and toast to those in our past, and then hopeful for a better next year.

Fond rememberances, tales of time past, and memories of those we wish to keep alive in the Family history and mind are spoken of.

I have a special thought for the men and women I have served with in the Fire/EMS Service and in various business endeavors where our lives were often put on the line. Drinks, long draughts to those no longer with us, and then several shots to those we celebrate...

At midnight we'll take that last long look at the pictures in the albums we have out, and then settle in for the night, our duty to our friends and family taken care of.

To all, a Good Year, may Prosperity and Kindness be your consistant companions.

kevinL

I sat on my ass........about 15 minutes before midnight, I did call my girlfriend; we talked for about half an hour or so about nothing really......it's good to hear her voice, though.

I was going to go to a party this year, but we got the first real snowfall of the year today and the roads were icy, and I didn't want to be out on the icy road with the drunk drivers. So I stayed home and watched a Harry Potter movie and chatted with friends online.

been in this same spot since about 5. I was going to go to a party and get wasted, which I wanted to do 'cause I never have, but I would only have known a couple people there, and I don't like to go to parties when I'm sober, so fuck it.

We watched movies and ate pizza, had the ceremonial burning of the christmas tree in the firepit out back, then came in and watched more movies. Just before midnight I set up the camera and handed out styrofoam cups with wine cooler for the adults and teens and soda for the little ones. We took our yearly group last pic of the old year and first pic of the new year. I'll post them later...

Not much different than any other year, except we usually don't use styrofoam cups for a toast, LOL.

I celebrated the occasion last night, actually. Not intentionally; I rode with my brother out to game for a while, then went back to his house and watched a couple movies while getting thoroughly sloshed. I don't plan to make a hobby of it, but I gotta' say getting boozed up to The 40 Year Old Virgin and Grandma's Boy can be a lot of fun on occasion.

It's almost Just Another Day here on Honeycutt Mountain, except that I'm having an eggnog with Chivas, making some candles for New Year gifts, and reviewing my Resolutions.

Happy New Year!

I don't usually go out New Years eve. I just prefer to stay home. This year however I was supposed to go to a friends house for a small gathering. I have two herniated discs that I have a lot of nerve pain from. When I over do it (which I have done the past week) it gets worse and the pain is unbearable. Last night was bad so I had to give my regrets. Spent a quiet night home and fell asleep before midnight.

I have never been one to celebrate the New Year. Being raised in the UPCI, we were discouraged from going to "wordly" parties, but even still, I didn't care about the new year. Going from 2006 to 2007 is like going from Tuesday to Wednesday; doesn't much matter to me. At midnight last night, I was asleep.

Last year, we went out because our city put on a free concert featuring Honeymoon Suite, one of the great New Wave bands from the 80's. My wife used to love their music, and still does. This year, they had Kim Mitchell; a good artist with some good music, but his stuff was more of the filler that went between the great songs. So I created a "Party" playlist on my MP3 player, and we enjoyed some fun music on the stereo, hooked up the Atari, and ate and drank far too much.

We are missing a couple kids in this shot--our 14 year old daughter was sick in bed and my 11 year old son was with his dad---yes these are really all our kids!!LOL His, Hers and Ours.

We are missing a couple kids in this shot--our 14 year old daughter was sick in bed and my 11 year old son was with his dad---yes these are really all our kids!!LOL His, Hers and Ours.

Don't forget the cat. Sadie managed to get in the picture but Mac escaped, LOL.

This new year's eve, I went out for coffee with a friend, then to a friend's house. At about 9:30, my friend and I went to extreme bowling with a group of friends until 1AM. After that, we went to the diner.

For me, new year's eve is more eventful.

New Years...

Another goddamn inconvienience on my life. All holidays are nothing but mental masturbation. I love having to go to 7-11 to get stuff today, with some third world dot head telling me "blessings and ejaculations"! Of course he's happy here, back home his relatives are taking a shit right in the middle of poverty lane.

I hope somewhere, someone loads a fireworks display with a tactical nuke. Or maybe a float will collapse and a dozen people will die.

New years? I can live without it.

Shawn

I was going to go to a party this year, but we got the first real snowfall of the year today and the roads were icy, and I didn't want to be out on the icy road with the drunk drivers. So I stayed home and watched a Harry Potter movie and chatted with friends online.

Yeah, we got our first snow in awhile last night just before midnight and we were at home watching something on TV. Earlier we went to a restaurant with a group from church and had supper. When I was a kid we had "watch night" (what does that mean?) services till about midnight and had a potluck late at night sometimes, Christian movies, sermons, etc. I liked it because it was the norm for me, but the staying up late was special back then. It's not a big deal now. One New Year's Eve I was working in the ER in Chihuahua, Mexico, as a student nurse. It was interesting. Another year I was all alone and sad. The pastor of my current church doesn't want to be responsible for folks being out when the drunks are out, so he never has late-night services. Where I used to live we "prayed in" the New Year. I guess that was to help ensure God's favor. The year I was expecting my first child I sat and did rug hooking for hours. I'd rather be at home and snug at this point in my life instead of out somewhere celebrating or praying.

Sparkyone

Brother-in-law and sister-in-law in town. Decided to go to Times Square (New York City) for the festivities. Totally sucked! Got there at 3pm, right under the Bubba Gump Shrimp factory (right under the falling ball). Pushed off sidewalk by NYPD to get in a line on 44th. Chaos ensued. Wife almost pushed down by cop trying to control surging crowd. Kept getting pushed to the back. Street got closed so we were forced to leave. Went to a bar for whiskey and wine (Maker's Mark on the rocks and house Cabernet). Went to restraunt on 46th. Good food. Walked to Central Park and found that we had a clear view of the ball and the square sitting on the large rock behind the playground looking down 7th Ave (just a couple of hundred people, not crowded at all). Was able to sit and enjoy the countdown from there (bonus: second hand, contact high from the people next to us-- :wicked:). Got to Grand Central just in time to whiz and catch the Metro-North home.

Woke up at 10am, had a nice mimosa and egg and cheese sandwich, chips and salsa for lunch (w/ Rum and Coke), lots of bowl games, very nice start to the new year.

I seem to like New Year's better than I do Xmas or T-day. Maybe it's because there isn't any religion involved, plus there's this psychological appeal to the idea that one year is ending while another is just beginning. It's like the next year is another chance, or a time when something new can happen. (Even though I realize the time is arbitrary. I mean, why couldn't something new happen in June, for instance?)

Last night I made a damn fine French Onion Soup for dinner, with crusty French bread and cheese (the cheese wasn't crusty, it just went on the crusty toasted bread), and a yummy herb salad. We had a couple of friends over, drank a lot of cheap bubbly, watched the ball drop, wished each other well, and then everybody went home and went to bed.

First day of 2007, I woke up late, snoozed with the pooches for awhile, and have spent the day slacking. :woohoo:

Well I did end up going to my moms with my fundy friend with my fundy aunt. Gee I don't know why I agreed to go.. it was so boring and I had to listen my fundy friend go on about how gawd is working in her life and her new job working for a fundy push xianity on the orphans and widows and africia...where she gets to go there once a year.

My fundy aunt asked if we were going to pray before we eat.. I said no we don't pray here... which my mom said what does that mean.. I said I meant in this family we only say grace for christmas and easter which it is neither... anyhow my aunt ended up saying grace... meanwhile I steal a bite of my chinise food staring up at me on plate while I am waiting for my sis to get her food and so we can babble on and eat our food.

My mom was in a bad mood, my aunt was depressed, I had a minior asthma type attack due to the house being so hot, the cat, scented candels...being tired and stressed out. Yup it was a blast. I had a couple sips of wine that I had left at her house from xmas eve. Had my mom tell me that I want to take back her two books she got me that gawd told her to get one specifically for me.. and then my fundy friend and aunt say Ohh that's a good book.. you should read it or give it to me. Why wouldn't you want to read it, I told my mom do you really want to get into that right now. She didn't say anything else to my response.

Since spending more time with my mom, I have nightmares that I am living with them again or she is has showed up at a place that is in my world. I wake up to be so happy it was just a dream. I can't take too much of her.... I am just tired of not being able to be my whole self around them. I wish I could have shared more of what I learnt this year...but really that would have made them more sad and angry at me so I just kept it to myself.