Goodbye Jesus

Devil Divides Scotland From England

Ex-COG

Until a generation ago, the two principal tribes in these islands had a wholly divergent approach to the year's final week. The English celebrated Christmas, a jollity that they had spent centuries in embellishing. But there was no public holiday on New Year's Day.

In Scotland, that was the most sacred holiday of them all, while Christmas was a normal working day. The Scots were suspicious of Christmas. The "mas" bit sounded Popish, and it was all bound up with the New Testament. The Scots preferred the Old one.

Over the past few decades, the ceremonies would appear to have converged, as the whole nation closes down for a fortnight. Yet there are still profound differences, expressive of national character: and the English do not know how to celebrate the New Year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jh...2/31/do3104.xml

So the Scottish New Year is based on the dark, the devil, and the dram? I can go with that...

That was one of the strangest articles I've read in a long time. It even claims that wine is a "non-alchoholic" beverage.

Um, ok :scratch:

That was one of the strangest articles I've read in a long time. It even claims that wine is a "non-alchoholic" beverage.

Um, ok :scratch:

Hey, maybe they agree with the fundamentalist Church of God I used to go to when I was a kid. They believed that it was a sin to drink alcohol, and that where ever it had Jesus dealing with wine (like at the wedding feast, or the last supper), the word wine really meant grape juice. :rolleyes: