Goodbye Jesus

How Would You Reply

Mongo

Over xmas I received an email with a Powerpoint containing Merry Christmas slides and such sent to 20 or 30 coworkers.

I pondered what to do and sent to everyone (of course!!!) "Yes, and Merry Festivus to all!". (Festivus was a link to the Wiki for those needing explanation)

Although I intended to remind people that there are non-believers out there, I did not think that what I wrote above was negative.

When I got back to work today I saw an email from one of them with the originator copied on it with something like... " bla bla... I think we better stick to Christmas".

I haven't thought of a good response to this and may ignore it but it irks me to think that his Christmas email was fine but mine was in appropriate.

If I write back with "Why?" it will be ignored so I need to make my point once.

I considered replying with, "I appreciated John's Christmas Powerpoint greeting, I enjoy Haunakah greetings, I love Solstice greetings from my Druid friends and I would enjoy Ramadan greetings if Muslims were not shy about spreading good cheer in their season of celebration. I do not think it is appropriate in this age of inclusiveness to reject my Festivus greeting."

It is direct (love direct confrontation), to the point, demonstrates openness even though I'm lying about liking the religious greetings.

It is not very cunning or funny though and may be heavy handed since the message I got was not very strongly worded.

I also considered... "You've got to be kidding! Festivus is my bright light in the month. Many of my friends and I greet each other this way during the season. Inclusiveness is the Canadian way!" A few lies in there too but it makes a point in a lighter way.

How would you reply?

Mongo

The first one is better, it will shame them. Shame is a powerful tool to show people the error of their ways. Plus, I think the second one is more insulting and less direct.

They probably thought it was some cutesy non-specific anti-Christian greeting instead of a reference to Seinfeld. ;)

If it was at work, I would just delete it and let it go. Rudeness does not require a response, IMO. But it depends on how good you are at your job and how established you are and what position you have.

You could bring it up with HR if you really want to go that route. Does Canada have rules like the US does about discrimination?

If it was at work, I would just delete it and let it go. Rudeness does not require a response, IMO. But it depends on how good you are at your job and how established you are and what position you have.

You could bring it up with HR if you really want to go that route. Does Canada have rules like the US does about discrimination?

The twirp doesn't scare me but this is far too innocuous to bring to HR.

I have the exact text:

John – thank you – my family and I all enjoyed this

Mongo - Ouch….I think we better stick with Christmas….

<<email reply headder removed>>

Thanks,

And a Merry Festivus to you all!

Mongo

It was the "Ouch" that I forgot to mention in the first post. He has obviously misinterpreted the spirit of my greeting. Must be a fundy.

Maybe I'll go with:

Nick,

Sadly you have mis-interpreted the spirit of my greeting. I'm certain you would not have replied in kind to a Jew or Muslim.

While it may have originated on Seinfeld, the Festivus greeting has taken on a life of its own and been adopted by many of my friends as their preferred means of spreading holiday cheer during this season where several diverse cultural celebrations coincide.

I have greeted many people this year with "Merry Festivus". You are the first to perceive this as "Ouch".

I enjoyed John's greeting and appreciate the time he took to share this with us.

I suggest you take a more inclusive and accepting stance.

Happy New year Nick. May you live long and prosper!

Mongo

I would have gone with "May The Force be with you" but I don't believe in "The Force" but I like the idea of following up with closing with yet another television oriented greeting.

Comments?

Mongo

Maybe I'll go with:

Nick,

Sadly you have mis-interpreted the spirit of my greeting. I'm certain you would not have replied in kind to a Jew or Muslim.

While it may have originated on Seinfeld, the Festivus greeting has taken on a life of its own and been adopted by many of my friends as their preferred means of spreading holiday cheer during this season where several diverse cultural celebrations coincide.

I have greeted many people this year with "Merry Festivus". You are the first to perceive this as "Ouch".

I enjoyed John's greeting and appreciate the time he took to share this with us.

I suggest you take a more inclusive and accepting stance.

Mongo

I would have gone with "May The Force be with you" but I don't believe in "The Force" but I like the idea of following up with closing with yet another television oriented greeting.

Comments?

Mongo

Out of the three, I'd say I like this one the best. Particularly the ending.

Have you considered "Fuck Off, Tit-Nose"? It always works for me.

I think we better stick to Christmas"

Being my smart-assed self, I would say:

WE? What, you got a mouse in your pocket?

IT"S FESTIVUS FOR THE REST OF US!

I am personally getting attached to the Strongbad phrase 'Decemberween'.

Happy Decemberween!

Darthwonka

[/b]

Comments?

Mongo

As someone who likes both Star Trek and Star Wars, I have to say I like this better. Plus did you know the hand sign comes from an Orthodox Jewish blessing? And "live long and prosper" was also based upon the Jewish greeting "Shalom aleichem".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_long_and_prosper

So ironically, your co-worker is getting a taste of what it means to be very inclusive! :grin:

Have you considered "Fuck Off, Tit-Nose"? It always works for me.

I'd love to but I will need to talk to him again sometime. With the last greeting I could ignore any follow up attempt to save face and still call him later knowing that he got the message.

Tempting though :scratch:

Mongo

Happy Decemberween!

Darthwonka

What about Wintereenmas?

Mongo, I think you handled it well. In some cases there is no winning. Sounds like you managed to keep the peace, which is probably what you really wanted. Oh, and also tradition, i.e. the tradition to send season's greetings in some form to co-workers. Nick probably thinks he's being a "light to the world" if he "keeps Christ in Christmas."

Happy Decemberween!

Is that the holiday where Trogdar the Burninator sets fire to the tree? :D