Goodbye Jesus

Questions about ex-Christian/still-Theism

GiantBear

I have questions for ex-Christian still-Theists and others about life in general.

I'm an ex-Christian still-Theist.

But I haven't been for very long.

I don't think that feeling pressure to get "all the answers" is the way to go, but ex-Christian Theism begs some questions (probably very many questions.)

Also....I want any Atheists/Agnostics/Christians/Other here to know that I read many of your posts and links with an open mind and will continue to do so. They are great reads.

That being said, I would be glad to get replies from anybody to these questions even if it doesn't come from your personal experiences. I just would prefer not to debate the merits of ex-Christian Theism right now. That probably deserves its own thread anyway.

1. What is the role of prayer in ex-Christian still-Theism?

2. How is it different to attack your moral dillemas as an ex-Christian? (I want to quit smoking for example)

3. How can ex-Christian/still-Theists view the afterlife? (Theism seems to beg an afterlife or else "God is either not good or not all-powerful")

4. How do you view "fate"? (Romance/Friends/Family/Career is what I'm thinking about.)

5. What relevant questions have I left out?

6. Can you think of any irrelevant questions that I should stay away from?

Peace,

GiantBear

I have wrestled with thoes questions myself GiantBear its tough

My delema is where do I draw a moral base from now that I don't believe in "God"? I mean when I was a christian it was simple at least I thought look in the bible but now? I am kinda at a loss.

oops.

I have questions for ex-Christian still-Theists and others about life in general.

I don't think that feeling pressure to get "all the answers" is the way to go, but ex-Christian Theism begs some questions (probably very many questions.)

Also....I want any Atheists/Agnostics/Christians/Other here to know that I read many of your posts and links with an open mind and will continue to do so. They are great reads.

That being said, I would be glad to get replies from anybody to these questions even if it doesn't come from your personal experiences. I just would prefer not to debate the merits of ex-Christian Theism right now. That probably deserves its own thread anyway.

Good question.

2. How is it different to attack your moral dillemas as an ex-Christian? (I want to quit smoking for example)

I'm sure a real personal god would be disapointed with you ruining your body. If your not healthy it may effect your abilty to be an able person when your loved ones need you and you may become a burden on your loved ones sooner than you should be. Would your god want that? Make your god proud of you if your god is a personal god. If your god is a personal god then realize that everyone is a creation of god and everyones life has equal value and you must not be an drag on friends and family by ruining your body. They gota live too.

As far as moral dillemas in general I suppose the theist could start with having a confidence that they themselves are a revelation of god and that is the only dependable revelation along with creation, and try to understand what you are programmed for? Build from your emotional/physical needs and be smart about it. Start with the fact that we are social animals. As HanSolo put it, "know what we get when we give." "Thinking long term = altruism. It has value." You know. Simple. A real god would want us to think along those lines I'm sure. I don't know what else to say but this thread will be interesting.

3. How can ex-Christian/still-Theists view the afterlife? (Theism seems to beg an afterlife or else "God is either not good or not all-powerful")

I recomend cremation for a kind of afterlife. That way you will probably become a part of a plant and eventualy part of an animal or a human. hehe.

Seriously though, I think a theist who believes in a personal deity should trust thier soul to thier god and have confidence that if god bothered to create us to begin with then there must be an afterlife.  If there is a personal god it is reasonable to assume this right?

4. How do you view "fate"?  (Romance/Friends/Family/Career is what I'm thinking about.)

Its more exciting to think that you make your fate, your luck. Isn't it? It seems we make our own luck. Thats how I percieve things. That seems real to me. Obviously not all Theists will believe in fate.

How important is rituals to the ExChristian Theist?

I don't know. I am not a theist. This will be an intersting thread.

Zoe Grace

Does evelution play a part in your belief in reincarnation. Also nothing in the universe is destroyed but changes and evolution is change. Do you figure that an after life would reflect that?

Its true I'm an atheist but I can think outside of my understandings/perceptions if I try. I'm intersted in this thread.

:scratch: I Just typed out a reply , and it got lost when I hit post... anyway, Here it goes again?

I think it all depends on the road you take to de-convert. Some just simply stop believing, others go thru other religions to get a different point of view.  I traced Christianity all the way back to Judaism, and it wasn't until I understood that could I completely let go of Xtinaity.  Best lesson I was taught was using Logic and reason were god given abilities that one must use to find answers. Emotionalism isn't based on logic but on control.  Once someone controls your emotions, they control you. (Fear, Guilt, et al)

Of course Health reasons being the number one reason, Do it for yourself, It will better your quality of life, not to mention fatten your wallet.. :)  

None of us will know until we get there, I like to think we all come back and are forever with our loved ones. I have no facts to back up this hope of course, I hate to think we just stop existing for eternity.

4. How do you view "fate"?  (Romance/Friends/Family/Career is what I'm thinking about.)

Nothing in life is Predestined, I believe Life is what we make of it.  All choices have consequences (Good or bad)  As far as something tragic happening or something that's out of our control, I attribute to just life I don't think their is any force such as fate controlling anything.

No question should go unasked, I believe to "stay away" from questions is to stay away from the Truth. 

Peace,

GiantBear

I'm not sure what I am since I left christianity behind, but I assume I'm a Theist because prayer is still such a big part of my life (and coz Theist was the 'insult' that started to be directed at me when I discussed my changing views with other christians)

I love praying - always have. I guess it's part meditation, part an excuse to talk to myself. I still feel as though I have the same access to a 'response' that I had before. One of my non christian friends says that's because I'm as nutty as a fruitcake and borderline psychotic, my Christian friends say- that's because God's still there for you - even though you think you've stopped believing.

I guess really I think it's little more than talking to myself - I feel like maybe I access a wiser part of me - or that it's easy to reach a decision when it's part of a 'conversation' - and that's what prayer is.

Maybe it's just a habit?

I think it can be 'harder work' - in that you have to reason things out for yourself and/or find all the motivation yourself. Can be liberating as well though.

I've given up a belief in the afterlife in any recognizable form - I think I will go on in that my 'matter' will still be part of the universe and aspects of my character and personality will live on through my children and for a while in the memories of others. Mostly this feels like a bit of a relief.

4. How do you view "fate"? (Romance/Friends/Family/Career is what I'm thinking about.)

I still get all tingly if something happens that seems can't just be a coincidence - that seems to be 'fated' - that's about having a 'romantic' outlook on life. Somethings I would hate to get all rational about. I love myth and mystery and romance and poetic explanations.

I love the 'acorn' theory of personality - that there is a 'great oak' inside each of us - and that who we are is 'destined'!

I guess if you've left them out then they are not relevant to you (or not yet anyway)

That's irrelevant.

(joke)

Thanks for all the answers so far *thumbs up*

Peace,

GiantBear

I saw there are several answers, but I didn’t read them because you wanted each individual’s opinion in this matter. I’m an agnostic/atheist, but I think you wanted input from everyone? Or is it just theists?

I have a question for you, if you don’t mind. My personal opinion about the difference of theist and deist is that a theist believe God can be described and be known, and even have a intent with our lives, while the deist see God as a mere abstraction and not necessarily can be understood and have relationship with. What is you take on it? What is your opinion about the difference between theist and deist?

Good approach, we are for ever searching the knowledge and understanding of life.

Considering a theist believes there is a God, the prayer must be to establish and maintain the relationship with God. To get guidance and understanding of whom he is and what he wants. It’s also to get the feeling of his presence, the transcendental experience.

As a theist you must have a belief that God have a purpose and meaning with your life, and that you act according to his wishes. Say that as a theist you believe God wants you to take care of yourself, and your family and the people around you. So you have an obligation to adhere to his wishes and give back to him in your good actions.

But what can constitute as God’s will and wishes as a theist must be really hard to find out. Because you don’t have a book that can act as guideline, so the definition of moral has to come from life and nature itself. What is best for you, family and the majority, would be the guideline to define your morals.

I don’t think theists have to believe in an afterlife in the form it’s in the Bible. Afterlife can mean that your soul goes back to God and your soul will rest and be content. I kind of see it this way: life as God created it is like a big ocean, and I’m just one drop taken from that ocean, when I die, my soul goes back to that ocean to the complete and unified state it had before my life started.

A theist still believes in free will, so fate doesn’t have to be a big concern, but that’s just my take on it.

The question I started with, what is your distinction between Theism vs. Deism. What do you have in one of them but not in the other?

Why are there so many crappy TV series and so few good ones? :grin:

Hans

Why are there so many crappy TV series and so few good ones?  :grin:

Hans

:lmao:

v.funny - there is something about that question that just invites a non serious answer!

Essentially all prayer is a good self talk convoluted & turned to an outside source.

When you're an ex-C you don't have to pray, but it's still very good to use this method, or a similar one, like meditating, in order to guide yourself to the best answer for whatever question you're seeking to answer for yourself.

You take the blame for it, instead of Sin, the Devil, or another outside source being the cause. You own up to your own responsibilities. That to me is the biggest step, once you can take responsibility, then its just a matter of weighing the positives & negatives and seeing what is the best choice for you.

To me, it's a matter of whatever will be, will be. No one has any clear idea of what will become of us once we die. So don't worry so much about death and focus on living your life.

Fate is the result of your current life course. If you remain on the path you've chosen for yourself, you will arrive at a certain fate that is determined by your past/present actions. Now, if you choose to change your behavior patterns in any way, then you will shift your fate accordingly.

A great example of this are people who keep getting into destructive relationships. They complain about it & wonder about it, but they don't change their core behavior patterns that are causing the problem. Once they do, they break the cycle and, change their fate.

What is the air speed velocity of an unlaiden swallow?

Does the size of my cousin's penis really make him a better person?

Peace to you GB!

Does the size of my cousin's penis really make him a better person?

And shouldn't he stay away from your cousin in general? :)

As a Deist, I see prayer as a means to be appreciative of the universe, life etc. and as a mean to calm my mind and meditate. I do not ask for things, as I believe the universe runs by natural laws and not by suspending them.

I take responsiblity for my own actions and use the discoveries of science, medicine, psychology, etc. to deal with life issues.

I really do not spend time worrying about what will happen after I die. When I die, I will find out or I will be extinct, either way the mental speculations are just that, speculations. As a Deist, I believe that God (no definition) does not actively intervene in history, but that reality follows the natural laws of the universe. So in this respect, God is not omnipotent or omniscient.

The only fate is that everyone will die and pay taxes. The fate concept makes no sense with what we know of physics.

Peace,

GiantBear

The only fate is that everyone will die and pay taxes.

I knew IRS would get you even after death!

I don't want to die and pay taxes still,.... aaargh! :grin:

<snip>

Ok, I am (at least from what I can tell) a strange sort of pagan, and while I have a theistic bent, it is merely to a point.  To me, prayer is just a means to focus yourself, and you use some version of a diety as something to "grab onto" and focus your mind.  Does wonders for clearing one's head.  As far as worship goes, well gods are big boys, they know their position, and don't need the ego-stroknig of constant reminding.  This is tied to why I consider worship a waste of time.  Really, prayer is for you, not anyone else. 

I am a good deal more honest with myself about it.  Your life is "on you" and you have no sky daddy waiting to smite you.  As far as moral dillemas I tend to look at things from a Natural Rights perspective grounded in human nature  and choose what I consider the least harmful/most beneficial outcome to a dillemma.  As far as quitting smoking, my grandpa has given me some advice in the past on how he did it: you just have to want to do it, and then do it.  Kind of a moment when one realizes "hey, these cancer sticks are stupid."  and go from there.  Can't give any more specific advice than that, though.  Sorry.

I favor a view based on reincarnation.  There is a certain elegance to recycling souls/the information contained in people.  Kind of goes along with all of the other conservation laws (energy, momentum, mass, etc) in the universe.

It should also be noted that I do not consider a god to be all-good or all-evil, it just is.  I see no reason to assume that diety is inheriently good or evil.  I tend to be a believer in the "Church of God the Utterly Indifferent."

It is what you make of it.  Sometimes circumstances align and you get lucky, sometimes you get a bad break.  It happens.  If I view fate as anything, it would be a vector that also goes through time, as well as space.  Applying a bit of conventional physics (as we are on the meso-scale here) things like inertia, and outside forces tend to seem like fate.  That if things don't change they go one way, but sometimes a collision sends things skittering.

Really only you can judge that.  The questions you left out are those you have yet to ask.

What if I'm wrong?  No one should be cowed into a philosophy, that is the tool of fascists and dictators.

Peace,

GiantBear

Hope this helps. Keep in mind that these are my own views, which I grew for my own personal use. Offer not valid in Texas. Consult a geologist before applying. Contents sold as is, without warranty. Odds are 103,256,273:1 that I just made this statistic up. Discontinue if small Trent Reznor clones appear.

Good luck.

Edited: for readability (colored text is sweet :grin: )