Goodbye Jesus

Are Atheists Arrogant? - RabidApe

webmdave

There is plenty of arrogance to go around in my opinion. Get some today!

Arrogance is a human trait, and certain religions or philosophies or opinions can inspire others to be arrogant.

Atheists who let arrogance become them do so because they forget what it was like to be ignorant. I have to remember that myself at times.

It doesn't mean we're incorrect, just needin' to check our 'tudes :)

Very good video.

I think the perception of "arrogance" christians accuse atheists and other freethinkers for having is actually a mistaken impression.

If you believed your entire being rested on the whim of a capricious supreme being whose moods change faster than the weather, and your entire goal in life was the good afterlife, but you never can rest fully assured and comfortable that you have attained the goal (as the requirements for it depend on which authority you go by), then someone who doesn't share that belief and is not anxously minding their afterlife is going to have more inner stability and possibly more inner peace than you.

That self-assurance could be perceived as arrogance.

Just as shyness is often mistakenly perceived as conceit.

my answer is on par with white raven, very good job.

white raven23 wrote

Precisely.

I just happened to be reading Tatian's address to the Greeks, in another tab, from about 160-170CE:

Why do you advise me to be false to my principles? Why do you who say that you despise death exhort us to use art in order to escape it? I have not the heart of a deer; but your zeal for dialectics resembles the loquacity of Thersites. How can I believe one who tells me that the sun is a red-hot mass and the moon an earth? Such assertions are mere logomachies, and not a sober exposition of truth. How can it be otherwise than foolish to credit the books of Herodotus relating to the history of Hercules, which tell of an upper earth from which the lion came down that was killed by Hercules? And what avails the Attic style, the sorites of philosophers, the plausibilities of syllogisms, the measurements of the earth, the positions of the stars, and the course of the sun? To be occupied in such inquiries is the work of one who imposes opinions on himself as if they were laws.

He accuses them of the same thing in that last line (I just love where he denies the sun is a red-hot mass and the moon an "earth"...shows how forward thinking some people were back then and how crippling xianity was when it came to absolute power...I thought the "spirit" helped get the truth out to these folks?).

The xian worldview just doesn't allow him to accept that he's wrong and, even though there are many differing opinions, the others have it right. His need for certainty and stability blind him...and that's what allows cults of all types to keep going.

mwc

I would like to quote this also, nicely said.

I was once in a debate with 4 or 5 Christians on a forum, all of them vs me. None of them agreed on details of Creationism, but since they all believed in god and I didn't, I was ganged up on regardless. I was getting confused in my responses so I asked them if they could clarify their beliefs individually. While they obviously didn't agree on Creationism points, they still didn't know what I meant. So I had to list all the "theories" for them. And what did I get for my effort? Why, being called arrogant of course.

I was very polite and calm the whole debate. I didn't call names and thanked people for debating with me, and after all that, was still perceived as arrogant because of a tiny bit more knowledge on one issue. Needless to say I stopped wasting my time there.

- And yes, I agree there is plenty of arrogance to go around! :HaHa: -