Goodbye Jesus

Athiest Last Wishes

Kurari

I want a completely non religious funeral. I don't want any prayers, any discussion about god, heaven, hell, or my transforming into an angel.

What I would like is for people to recite some of my favorite poetry; play my favorite songs(I would like Christina Aguilera's "I am Beautiful" to be played at my funeral); and just remember me and all the good times. A funeral shouldn't be about God. It should be about the person going into the ground. Also, I would like everyone to get their emotions out. And if someone even suggests for them to, "Don't cry, he's in a better place" they should be flogged with a bull whip...

After the funeral, I would like a reception where everyone can get together and eat and laugh.

I want to be buried in a pinebox. I don't see why it is important to some to have such expensive caskets. Its not like its going to be taken out and reused, afterall. In my casket I want to be buried in a really dapper suit AND have my mustache trimmed to look really good. When I go into the ground I want to look fantastic(of course that might not be possible, depending upon how I die...hopefully I will be 110 and look 40). I do want a tombstone with a really nice picture of me. And I want to be buried in a beautiful meadow somewhere...It doesn't matter just so long as it's beautiful.

Any retirement funds that I have I want my future husband to recieve(and since I'm gay and can't get married I'll have to have some hellified power of attorney...Of course if he's an asshole he won't get jack shit). I want my DVD collection, comic book collection, and my library of books to be donated to school kids and various charities. And all the money in my savings account goes to charity too...of course if I should die before my mother(which I hope never happens) I want her to have all my money. The rest of my family I don't want them to have shit. They make me sick and I don't care if they show up at the funeral. My clothes will go to Goodwill...and I want my pet cat to be taken to a no kill animal shelter so he can have a good home.

I'd like my working organs to be donated...something good coming from my death. I'd like a humanist celebrant to do my funeral...a totally non-religious event and just a quiet funeral for my family and friends to say there goodbyes really. I did like the idea of being buried in a cardboard coffin in some woodland, though the other day I got curious about how much these things cost and unless I someday put aside money to cover the expense I think my family should just have me cremated.

A funeral shouldn't be about God. It should be about the person going into the ground. Also, I would like everyone to get their emotions out. And if someone even suggests for them to, "Don't cry, he's in a better place" they should be flogged with a bull whip...

I could not agree more! Nothing pisses me off like someone telling me when I just lost someone close to me that "Don't cry, she's in the better place". I find it highly disrespectful and insulting because its nothing more then a way of trying to dismiss grief as if you have not right to have it.

Never did peg out the specifics, other than

1) If someone decides a Catholic funeral is a good idea, and I find out about it from beyond the grave, I will find some way back into my body so I can kick their ass.

2) It had better involve fire of some kind. The bigger the better.

3) The wake had better wake the dead.

Personally I would like for the worms to have their way with me. Just to let my body go back in a natural manner, but I think my options are limited on something like that.

Here's my list:

1. Donate organs, nerves and whatever else they can salvage these days

2. Be cremated (dunno what to do with the ashes tho).

I dislike the idea of donating my body to medical research tho. I worked at a bio-anthropology lab last semster and one of my jobs was setting out bones (actual human bones that were kept in the room) for labs.

I found the work really funny in a lot of respects, my instructions were along the lines of:

"Okay, I need four skulls with full sets of teeth on the table. If they are missing jaws get some from the spares cabinet. Then put out a set of ribs, vertebrae, and 4 or 5 leg bones. And don't forget to put out hands and feet."

My roomate thought it was so freaky that I was "rummaging through drawers for human bones" as a living.

That did get me thinking about life philosophy. All this commotion about salvation and proper arrangements after death, and in the end some dumb lab aide uses your skull as a prop for singing tunes from the phantom of the opera.