Goodbye Jesus

Christian Excuses For Bible Attrocities

Greydon Square

So I recieved this email from this fundie dude on myspace, nothing out of the ordinary, couple of bible verse, say this prayer, i KNOW you believe, yada yada. So I sent my regular reply of bible attrocities and asked "You want me to worship THIS????" and he replies

"You Know Thats All from the Old Testament....Yes Those Were the Laws of our God.....But Jesus Christ Came And changed all of that...you Know That.....so Dont try to use that as an excuse... I dont Want to argue you with you I want to Help you.....I know you Believe...tell me what did you start Questioning First"

Here is the thing, i dont care if this GOD commited those attrocited a million years ago, he still commited them. If Adolf Hitler became an item of misguided worship, i would explain to people that he was responsible for somewhere in the vicinity of 6 million deaths. How could you worship a person like that? Why do these christians try to rationalize these acts based on time, and a supposed incarnation of that god that no one can prove?

Yeah, it's kind of ironic that they tend to NOT believe the OT god when he says that he does NOT change EVER. That he is NOT a man that he might sin and so many other things that torpedo their take on things.

However, they believe, without the slightest question, Paul, who changes all of this. Numerous times in the OT the Law is called a blessing to the Jews (and mankind really) but Paul, on no authority but his own "vision," twists it into a curse. Not even their beloved jesus does this. Go ahead and ask him to produce the evidence, from jesus' own mouth, where he CANCELS the OT Law. He won't be able to do it but IF he's honest he will produce the exact opposite (and no, "fulfilling the law" simply means to "explain" in Rabbinic tradition, something jesus was doing within the context of usage for that statement, so don't accept that as an answer).

The OT must be ignored, for the most part (we have to keep that one special version of the 10 commandments...even though those laws are null and void), except to establish a history for what is really a fairly recent religion. The violence and atrocities had to be done by that god because those people understood that way of life. If they would have been more reasonable then, of course, that god could have been more reasonable. Just like slavery existed in their lives so god made rules for slavery. He could have abolished it, sure, but it was part of their world so he did not wish to interfere more than was really necessary but he could also not allow it to be as barbaric as we would have made it if left on our own. When we finally wised up and got rid of slavery it was because we finally came around to the way this god really wanted us to be and so those slave rules aren't needed any longer. See? It can all be rationalized away. Just remember that as bad as this god seems he is never as bad as we would have been had he not have gotten involved. He kills 10 but we would have killed 10,000. He weened us off violence into a more peaceful path.

Am I getting a little too fundie for you? Sorry, but this goes way back to my Baptist school days (many moons ago) and I believed every word of it. It makes sense when you come at it from a "True Believer" POV. Now it just seems stupid to me.

mwc

Why do these christians try to rationalize these acts based on time, and a supposed incarnation of that god that no one can prove?

Xians do it because, in their hearts, they are desparate to do anything to excuse and explain away any problem in the Babble to make their religion appear nicer than what it is. They know in their hearts that the depicted behavior of their god is immoral and wrong, yet they won't do the sensible thing and give up their religion but rather go into damage-control mode instead.

Xianity can't stand alone - it depends on the art of bullshitting known as "apologetics" to sell it, especially to more enlightened people as we have today.

I'd write back. Being dead for 3 days (actually only about 39 hours) even if it included a visit to hell is not enough to pay for the crap God did in OT times plus the crap God does via neglect now. And God's punishment is all the more inadequate when compared that a human has to be in hell for eternity for being lustfully and momentarily distracted by a nice ass. Don't let the bastard have the last word.

That guy is full of shit. He doesn't even know the NT or he'd know better.

http://www.evilbible.com/do_not_ignore_ot.htm

Hit him with those verses.

I'll have a crack...

"You Know Thats All from the Old Testament....Yes Those Were the Laws of our God.....But Jesus Christ Came And changed all of that...
2000 odd years of post-Jesus christian history would suggest otherwise...

tell me what did you start Questioning First"
I read the bible.

"You Know Thats All from the Old Testament....Yes Those Were the Laws of our God.....But Jesus Christ Came And changed all of that...you Know That.....so Dont try to use that as an excuse... I dont Want to argue you with you I want to Help you.....I know you Believe...tell me what did you start Questioning First"

I'd point out to him that according to his beliefs, Jesus is God.