Goodbye Jesus

Once Yec Goes, So Does Everything

Guest Geese Aplenty

Guest Geese Aplenty

Has anyone noticed that once YEC deprogramming is accomplished, the whole house of cards topples? I'm experiencing this in a big way and just want to make sure I'm not crazy.

I see now why YECists are so adamant about it. Once literalism is exposed for the twisted kindergarten fantasy/nightmare it clearly is, other questions crash through the floodgates, making the Bible a quagmire of uncertainty and confusion.

I'm really quite floored that YEC is so intregal to the belief systems of modern evangelicals. Undoing it is the key to the deprogramming process. And it's so easy, it's a wonder why more haven't found their way out.

For YECists: how do you sleep at night knowing that you are largely responsible for my apostasy? When you continually lie about manifest truths like biological evolution and the age of the universe, you confirm that you don't have a clue about identifying truth. When Christian people lie about such things on a regular basis in order to harmonize their beliefs with the Bible, we can rightly determine you as foolish as the Islamist who tells me that I'm an infidel.

Has anyone noticed that once YEC deprogramming is accomplished, the whole house of cards topples? I'm experiencing this in a big way and just want to make sure I'm not crazy.

I see now why YECists are so adamant about it. Once literalism is exposed for the twisted kindergarten fantasy/nightmare it clearly is, other questions crash through the floodgates, making the Bible a quagmire of uncertainty and confusion.

I'm really quite floored that YEC is so intregal to the belief systems of modern evangelicals. Undoing it is the key to the deprogramming process. And it's so easy, it's a wonder why more haven't found their way out.

For YECists: how do you sleep at night knowing that you are largely responsible for my apostasy? When you continually lie about manifest truths like biological evolution and the age of the universe, you confirm that you don't have a clue about identifying truth. When Christian people lie about such things on a regular basis in order to harmonize their beliefs with the Bible, we can rightly determine you as foolish as the Islamist who tells me that I'm an infidel.

Same thing here, somewhat. My conversion from YEC to atheist wasn't sudden; It was slight. I became a moderate first. But then again, moderates might as well be atheists.

Welcome to XC, Geese.

Yes, literalist thinking is a finely woven web of deceit, and once you finally are able to start unraveling it, it quickly falls apart and is revealed for the dogma that it is.

Your last paragraph is interesting. Why blame the YECists for your apostasy when you've already admitted that the entire bible is a fantasy? YEC is just one facet of a bigger lie. Glad you've become enlightened.

Growing up you're told its a fact, you never consider that it may not be right, its just an accepted part of life like the sun rising and gravity sucking. When first told about the ancient earth alternative you recieve the safety net answers "Carbon dating has been wrong so often, don't trust it" and "The Bible says there are people who will attempt to lead you astray...".

Most Christians are happy with these answers and never consider the issue any further. Its not until you find the dozens of ways that an old earth can be calculated and the share amount of evidence in support of an old earth that you realise which position is correct. If you never see that information, or don't want to see the evidence then you stay with what you were taught...

Growing up I never realized that people actually thought the world was so young. I grew up reading dino books, which all talked about how old the earth is, and no one in my life ever said anything about the world being ca. 6000 years old. In fact, I hadn't ever heard of YEC until a few years ago. I almost feel robbed, like I didn't get to experience the whole christian experience. Almost.

Glad to see you figured some things out, Geese.

I was a YEC through middle school, then in high school I jumped on the "but in the original Hebrew, the word meant 'periods of time', more like an eon!!" crowd (meaning I believed that God did as it said in the Bible, but more or less through evolution, in six eons instead of days. At the end of high school, I was a Christian evolutionist... and it took several years after that to finally get out of Christianity.

I think that if you were originally a conservative and/or evangelical YEC Christian, it is definitely the start of deconversion in some form or another (but maybe not complete deconversion from Christianity, like my MIL who is still a very conservative Christian, but accepts evolution). But if you were raised more moderate or liberal Christian, throwing away Bible myths like the Creation myth or the virgin birth don't necessarily affect your faith. I know plenty of moderate to liberal Christians who don't most of the myths in the Bible, but somehow they still manage to hold Jesus sacred, and I don't ever see them leaving the church.

Geese, I agree with those who said YEC is only one of the things that lead to deconversion. It had nothing to do with my deconversion beyond being one more thing I needed to evaluate. I don't have a brain for science. What did it for me was the logical impossibility of the plan of salvation and the insight that "spiritual" experiences may come from the stimulation of a certain part of the brain. As you read the testimonies of former Christians you will see that there is no one single item over which people deconvert. For example, a woman deconverted because God failed to respond to her prayer and faith for the healing of her unborn child from fatal birth defects. It was a broken promise. Another person deconverted as part of the process of coming to terms with Christianity's rejection of his sexual orientation. You can read the stories. But I can see how YEC had such a profound impact on you and you're not the only one.

I'm not sure whether it always comes all crashing down immediately... but then, it's hard to find any fundies over here at all (outside of the JW/Moron cultist places et al), so that might just be my lack of exposure... ;)

But yes, if you want to adhere to babblical literalism you need YEC, of whatever brand of idiocy you can find. Once you go and compromise on that, you open the door behind which the Greatest Horror Of All (to the morontheist) lurks - called evidence. Whether The Beast tries to rush in immediately doesn't matter much. Eventually it will come in.

You start to let evidence beat dogma in one case, the lurking temptation appears to allow that in other places too - and pretty soon you arrive at the point they simply cannot have... that you are responsible for what parts of the book of lies you pick and choose to believe in. Oh horror of horrors, now you have to use your brain! The corruption has started! :fdevil:

As I see it, one doesn't absolutely need to abandon all of the cult then... I trust there are more than a few who just choose to from now on adhere only to "love your neighbor" and "judge not" or similar. But one way or the other, from that point on the person is lost to the fundie cult. Only residual brainwashed-in compulsions can now still strike.