Goodbye Jesus

Quixtar, My Dad's New Religion

Poonis

My dad recently called to tell me the good news: he has jumped aboard the Quixtar multi-level marketing train. This is the guy who has readily admitted to me a few years ago that he fucked his life up, chasing women when he was my age (age 27) instead of chasing financial security. At 54, having no retirement plan, no savings, and has no reliable source of income (and is currently unemployed), his plan to get-rich-quick revolves around Quixtar, and wants me to join. I flatly refused, as I am on the track to my own financial security with budgeting, saving, investing, financial planning and already having multiple sources of income. When he told me this over the phone, I honestly felt sad, and remembered Thoreau's quote:

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them"

Has anyone else dealt with this? Just like my dad believes Christ will return "very soon", he also believes he will be a millionaire over this. What do you think?

My dad recently called to tell me the good news: he has jumped aboard the Quixtar multi-level marketing train. This is the guy who has readily admitted to me a few years ago that he fucked his life up, chasing women when he was my age (age 27) instead of chasing financial security. At 54, having no retirement plan, no savings, and has no reliable source of income (and is currently unemployed), his plan to get-rich-quick revolves around Quixtar, and wants me to join. I flatly refused, as I am on the track to my own financial security with budgeting, saving, investing, financial planning and already having multiple sources of income. When he told me this over the phone, I honestly felt sad, and remembered Thoreau's quote:

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them"

Has anyone else dealt with this? Just like my dad believes Christ will return "very soon", he also believes he will be a millionaire over this. What do you think?

OMG! RUN! Run fast and far!

We had friends into this when it first started in 1999 and we were in it too, within the first two months it existed. It's Amway disguised as an online shopping mall. Safe to say we never made a penny on it, but our friends swore by it and said they would retire on it. Indeed they ended up with a lot of people under them, mostly people they recruited from the church. I think of them sometimes and wonder how they're doing now. The wife was really hot, and I used to work on their computer, LOL. One day she called me over to work on her computer when her husband wasn't home. They had a treadmill set up next to the computer, and she came out of the bedroom dressed in some nice workout wear and proceeded to exercise while I was working on restoring her dialup...

Aeeeyyyy! Sorry, for getting sidetracked...

Don't get into it. It didn't work for most people when it first started and it doesn't work for the vast majority of people now. And it is Amway after all, as much as they try to say it's different.

I'll second that. RUN...don't walk. I've read things about Quixar. Seems alot like the "legal" version of the age-old pyramid game. Only those at the very top will make the serious money. I've read that the only thing that differentiates some of the MLM's and an illegal pyramid is that there is actually a product being sold with the MLM's. As far as the usefulness of said products.... I dunno, LOL!

Eep! I once had someone from an MLM scheme (Primerica) contact me. When I interviewed, I was given a financial services sales pitch. Told them I was looking for a permanent job with salary and benefits, and in no way had the extra money to spend on financial services or the certification class they wanted me to take. There were also numerous red flags in the interview. Needless to say, I didn't do it, and I'm glad I didn't. Primerica, like Quixtar, is probably legal. But it's still not a real job and you're not going to get rich doing it.

Amethyst,

We were roped into Primerica. We paid some $90 for services wherein they were supposed to help us sort out our debt. We have zero credit card debt -- all student loan and medical bills. I thought it was legit because it was supposedly a division of Citicorp. Of course, it was another pitch through someone at church. (Boy we were suckers!) And they never did give us anything of any value, not even help us consolidate our bills like they promised.

Oh, good god, my mother was SO INTO Amway for a long time when I was younger. I had some friends at church who swore by it too. The one family got into Quixtar as soon as it started up. I don't know if they're still involved in it, though, as i haven't talked to them for a while. I remember the amway products being quite shitty. Mom used to go away to these meetings all the time, where they'd all get together and hear motivational talks. She even had tapes and listened to them in the car. She never saw any extra money from it, though... and happily, she was smart enough to quit it once she realized she was being duped. It really is like a religion... a religion where money is the god. It doesn't make sense to me how so many churchgoers can get involved with this stuff and not have a burning conscience. I mean... god and mammon, anyone? Just another round of hypocrisy i guess.

I used to babysit for a family who had 9-4-2 mowed into their front lawn. THEY were scary. They were totally obsessed with Amway.

I live in Grand Rapids, MI, home of Amway/Alticor/Quixtar/ etc., etc. They change their name faster than a career criminal, and probably for the same reason. Nobody makes money with these schemes except Mrs. DeVos and Van Andel. Thankfully for us here in Grand Rapids, they also build hospitals, arenas, performance halls, and parks for the community. Unfortunately, they are also #1 and #2 on the list of the largest contributors to the Republican Party.

OMG.. Run run run.... I almost got sucked into.... some former friends who are very fundy.. are totally into it.. when they got married they had all Amway registration list.. They're big into it and travel to all the shows and conventions or whatever.. They are a bit nutty.

Is it me or does Quixtar require belief to work? If so, i can see why the religious take advantage of it, especially if "god wants me to be rich".

Is it me or does Quixtar require belief to work? If so, i can see why the religious take advantage of it, especially if "god wants me to be rich".

Even if you believe in something like Quixtar, it doesn't work unless you are already at the top. That's the nature of MLM's.

Primerica is owned by CitiGroup? Wow, I thought CitiGroup was a reputable corporation -- I have a credit card through them. What are they doing running a lying pyramid scheme? That's embarrassing!

Primerica is owned by CitiGroup? Wow, I thought CitiGroup was a reputable corporation -- I have a credit card through them. What are they doing running a lying pyramid scheme? That's embarrassing!

Yep, they're owned by CitiGroup. Technically, Primerica is legal. But it's still a MLM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primerica

Yep. That's exactly how I got roped in -- thinking because it was Citi it was reputable. But as soon as my upline got my money, he became uninterested in actually doing anything for me. The fact that it was part of Citigroup was a big selling point that my upline kept stressing during the sales pitch. Citigroup is all over Buffalo, but I will never do business with them again because of Primerica.

As stated before...RUN! Knock your dad out with a frying pan and drag him out if you have to!

My dad got involved in Cyberwize, a thinly-veiled Amway replica. He has spent a LOT of money on it. Guess how much he has made? ZIPPO. I went to one of the meetings he hosted; a speaker pretty high up in the company did his shpiel. I admit, they make it sound very lucrative and it makes you really want to join. However, deep down I know that I might as well throw my money into the wind. Thankfully my dad has kind of backed off of Cyberwize, although he does still buy some stuff for himself.

Funny, everyone I knew who ever got into Amway was a religious nutcase.

I wonder if Amway/Quixtar/whatever get most of their recruits from fundy

churches....

Funny, everyone I knew who ever got into Amway was a religious nutcase.

I wonder if Amway/Quixtar/whatever get most of their recruits from fundy

churches....

I'm positive that they do. The owners are supposedly fundies. Proctor & Gamble even traced the rumors that their board worshipped Satan to several big Amway distributors and successfully sued them, but have never been able to trace it to the corp. HQ. Only a fundie would believe such crap.

My parents tried Amway in the early 70's. I've been in a few myself (Primerica and a few others) before concluding that there are a lot of companies set up to make money off of the up-front fees and referrals whilst not giving a damn about the product.

I should set up a fake MLM selling something really stupid just to see how many fundies sign up. LOL

I should set up a fake MLM selling something really stupid just to see how many fundies sign up. LOL

There already is one. It's called Scientology. It would be funny to see a competitor, though. :D

There already is one. It's called Scientology. It would be funny to see a competitor, though. :D

:lmao:

:lmao: