Goodbye Jesus

My deconversion story or was I ever a Christian?

bluewizard

I never became a Christian but believed in it for sometime, until March of 05. Then I decided to look at other religious philosophies and atheism made the most sense to me. I never became a member of the church I still attend, instead I thought I was a "lost soul" for 3 years and that I was going to Hell when I died. I never wanted to become 1 which is why I never did. I never made that prayer of commitment that people talk about and even the preacher of the church talked to me and asked were I would go in December of 04 if I died. I told him I wasn't lost and the religion just made no sense(I did not tell him that though). The religon has no proof, it makes nos sense and what makes it better than any religion. Jesus was based on a myth of the past anyways. We're just a species who came from natural causes, the Bible makes no sense when you consider evolution and other scientific aspects. I won't ever tell my parents I am an atheist cause I wouldn't want to disappoint them. I will just act like I believe in Jesus so they will shut the hell up.

Guest JP1283

Blue,

Welcome to the forums. This is the perfect place for you, guaranteed. If you want information on atheism, there are plenty of links on the site to help you out. Don't be so hard on yourself about deconverting; it's a long process that not even all of us have conquered (myself included...read my testimony and you'll see how screwed up religion made me!)

Welcome again,

JP

The religon has no proof, it makes nos sense and what makes it better than any religion.  Jesus was based on a myth of the past anyways. 

Hey BW - welcome to the forums. Look around - you'll find lots of interesting stuff here, from the intellectual and reasoned to the base and blasphemous. (but sometimes very, very funny)

Don't know how much research you've done, It has helped me to do lots of reading about the building of the myth of Jesus, and how the Bible was tweaked over several centuries in order to meet various factions' interests. My conclusions about Jesus derived from facts of history and "most probable" scenarios of how Christianity came to be. (and finding out personally that it was bs) Now I don't feel like I'm trying to convince myself it isn't real just because it doesn't fit me.

One question though. Why in the world would anyone want to hang out in church if they weren't a believer? :shrug:

Hey BW - welcome to the forums.  Look around - you'll find lots of interesting stuff here, from the intellectual and reasoned to the base and blasphemous.  (but sometimes very, very funny)

Don't know how much research you've done, It has helped me to do lots of reading about the building of the myth of Jesus, and how the Bible was tweaked over several centuries in order to meet various factions' interests.  My conclusions about Jesus derived from facts of history and "most probable" scenarios of how Christianity came to be.  (and finding out personally that it was bs)  Now I don't feel like I'm trying to convince myself it isn't real just because it doesn't fit me.

One question though.  Why in the world would anyone want to hang out in church if they weren't a believer? :shrug:

Because my parents make me go to church on Sunday. When I go to college I am never going back.

Oh yeah. I always forget about the parents thing. Never applied to me..

My moms kinda new agey, and my dad's "I don't give a shit"

Welcome to the forums, bluewizard! I hope ya have a good time here. Don't forget to keep active in Totally Off Topic and Sex and Christianity.

Welcome, bluewizard. Enjoy the forums. If you have any issues regarding living with a Christian family, feel free to take them to the Life After Christianity forum. We have a number of folks who are or have been in your general situation.

Enjoy.

Loren

When I got a job as a hostess in a restaurant (I had to work Sundays), my mother stopped forcing me to go to church. Just a suggestion :)