Goodbye Jesus

You Actually Believe That?

IAm_Lucifer

I have never been a Christian. I can remember the exact moment I became an Atheist without even knowing such a word existed. I was six.

Since then, I have come across many people of different faiths. However recently I have had a revelation. PEOPLE ACTALLY BELIEVE THIS CRAP!

I don’t get it. Do people actually think about what they believe? I know most people here were Christian and I don’t mean to offend anyone. But I don’t get it.

It is the year 2007. We have gone to the moon, created a way for people from opposite parts of the world to communicate instantly but we still believe in Gods?

I don't think that those things necessarily negate a belief in God. Some would argue that God gave us the knowledge to do those things. But I see where you're coming from. What I can't believe is that it's 2007 and we are arguing over how old the Grand Canyon is. :ugh:

You're a little kid and you're programmed with that crap since you're an infant and it doesn't matter that it's 2007: it's not 2007 to you, it's the age of superstition. Yeah, it seems pretty outlandish to me too, NOW.

2007 is just a number on a calendar. It's not like at 1 they had 100% belief in gods and by now we were supposed to be at 0%. ;)

In the US the god culture is subtle but it's everywhere. There are special buildings on many corners just for this special being. This makes it real even if you never go in one. The words and symbols that are used add to making it real.

So, add to all this, people you trust telling you it's real and...it's real. I was born into so my variation is it stayed real.

Unlike Santa where you have "down time" to figure it out and others that clue you in to it being fake, the god thing is every day. If god were seasonal it wouldn't be so believable either but the folks behind the religion know that they need to have it "marketed" non-stop even if it is just seeing that giant cross every single day during your drive.

mwc

I don’t get it. Do people actually think about what they believe? I know most people here were Christian and I don’t mean to offend anyone. But I don’t get it.

No, they don't think about what they believe. They can't possibly. As soon as I thought about it, it all came crashing down.

It is the year 2007. We have gone to the moon, created a way for people from opposite parts of the world to communicate instantly but we still believe in Gods?

I don't know about others, but I honor the High Gods of my ancestors because I feel "at home" that way. ;)

Is there a logical reason for me to believe? No. Well, one, for me personally at least. Simply that it makes me feel good. :)

People don't think about what they believe, they feel about what they believe.

No, they don't think about what they believe. They can't possibly. As soon as I thought about it, it all came crashing down.

Same here.

I attended my very last religious service in April of 1978. Since that time I have only been in a church for a couple of weddings and that is about it.

After nearly 29 years, it’s gone now. What I mean is that The Story no longer holds any kind of grip on me anymore. It’s just a stupid story now.

If you take any group of newborns and raise them in an environment free of religious indoctrination they would all say the same thing if introduced to the xtian story as an adult. “You guys are nuts!”

I believe in God and I don't appreciate your tone.

I think belief in Christianity, the Christian God, the Muslim God and Islam, and the more strict Jewish God and Judaism is illogical and a denial of self-exploration of fact. One has to lie to tell oneself that those things are true.

But to me, God is synonymous with life, the universe, etc. To call what I believe in "crap" is something that the likes of Carl Sagan would not agree with. And even I do not call what the Christians, Muslims, and Jews believe in, "crap", because I've been there before, and I believe it's important to practice RESPECT.

And I get the feeling that your over-generalization of spirituality and mocking tone makes you pass up and mind-filter some interesting possibilities. Just a suggestion.

Welcome to the site. You may want to keep in mind that we're not all atheists here. I'm agnostic. There are pagans here and people of other beliefs too.

As for the "how could anyone believe this," it's simple. If 1. you're brought up in it from birth and 2. surrounded by other people who believe the same thing, most people are going to keep believing in it unless they get a reason to think about it.

If you raised an infant on a secluded island with a group of people who were brainwashed to believe that the sky was green, the infant would grow up to believe that the sky was green. He would probably continue to believe it unless he found a way off that island and talked to someone else who didn't believe it, or if someone from the outside world came to that island and tried to tell the people there the sky was not green and they actually listened to him.

Religion works the same way. People who grow up in the Middle East believe in Allah. People who are born in the west usually believe in Jesus, unless you happen to be born into a family that's not Christian. It's a cultural thing.

I believe in God and I don't appreciate your tone.

I think belief in Christianity, the Christian God, the Muslim God and Islam, and the more strict Jewish God and Judaism is illogical and a denial of self-exploration of fact. One has to lie to tell oneself that those things are true.

But to me, God is synonymous with life, the universe, etc. To call what I believe in "crap" is something that the likes of Carl Sagan would not agree with. And even I do not call what the Christians, Muslims, and Jews believe in, "crap", because I've been there before, and I believe it's important to practice RESPECT.

And I get the feeling that your over-generalization of spirituality and mocking tone makes you pass up and mind-filter some interesting possibilities. Just a suggestion.

Obviously, being this is exchristian.net, I made my comment specifically towards Christianity. You know, “virgin” birth, walking on water dieing and resurrecting…

My post is in response to Christians pissing me off. If it was as simple as you believe what you want, I believe what I want and everybody is happy, then I might be out of line. It’s not, and I’m sick of it.

Welcome to the site. You may want to keep in mind that we're not all atheists here. I'm agnostic. There are pagans here and people of other beliefs too.

As for the "how could anyone believe this," it's simple. If 1. you're brought up in it from birth and 2. surrounded by other people who believe the same thing, most people are going to keep believing in it unless they get a reason to think about it.

If you raised an infant on a secluded island with a group of people who were brainwashed to believe that the sky was green, the infant would grow up to believe that the sky was green. He would probably continue to believe it unless he found a way off that island and talked to someone else who didn't believe it, or if someone from the outside world came to that island and tried to tell the people there the sky was not green and they actually listened to him.

Religion works the same way. People who grow up in the Middle East believe in Allah. People who are born in the west usually believe in Jesus, unless you happen to be born into a family that's not Christian. It's a cultural thing.

Thanks Amethyst, but I am not new to the site. This profile was created same day as yours but I was a member before that on the old forum too.

I’m just sick and tired of these holier than thou idiots. Belief in a particular religion is so illogical yet they talk to you like you’re a moron.

But to me, God is synonymous with life, the universe, etc. To call what I believe in "crap" is something that the likes of Carl Sagan would not agree with.

With all due respect, sage - this is really out there.

Who doesn't believe in life or the universe? But, to say that we can't call God crap because to you that the word "God" means the universe, is crap. If you have some idiosyncratic definition of god, and that works for you, that's dandy.

But since you're custom-fitting your own definition of god that works for you, maybe you should call it something besides God. So you won't be offended. Might I suggest "Claude" as an example.

If insisting on reasonable proof and convincing evidence precludes being open to "interesting possibilities" - so be it. For myself and a whole lot of others here, we prefer to stay grounded in "interesting reality".

I don't imagine that you appreciate my tone, either, nabooru. I'll live with it, I suppose.

Okay, my anger's worn off a bit.

(Somebody stole a package off my front door today.....the neighbors saw and didn't do ANYTHING! Arggh!)

I believe in respecting everyone. I believe it's more important to foster peace and cooperation then get into a load of shit-flinging over who's religion is wrong and whose philosophic system is right. It all comes down to, people will believe what they want to believe. You can't do anything about that. They will believe what works for them.

Personally I think some belief systems work better than others, but if a person is capable of going through life with genuine compassion and tolerance for others, then they deserve my respect. Regardless of whether or not they're Muslim, Christian, Jewish or some other "distasteful" religion.

And for the record, your "reality" is only your reality because you only choose to accept that evidence that complies with it. I admit that I and everyone else does the same, it's how we apply stability to our lives. But you're not innocent of unbiased thinking.

And for the record, the "possibilities" I spoke of were friendships and good working relationships with Christians and others. Some of my closest friends are Christians, atheists, Muslims, etc. I simply don't judge them solely by their particular religious affiliation. If they believe that their God rose from the dead after three days, so be it, they're still a good friend. If they believe that I will undoubtedly enter the eternal abyss of hell if I do not admit the resurrection as well, that's where I draw the line.

Thanks Amethyst, but I am not new to the site. This profile was created same day as yours but I was a member before that on the old forum too.

I’m just sick and tired of these holier than thou idiots. Belief in a particular religion is so illogical yet they talk to you like you’re a moron.

Didn't realize that. Yeah, the fundies do get really annoying. It's good to have a place to vent.

I have never been a Christian. I can what I

It worked on me! 40 years of catholic training in sin an guilt and fuckin scare tactics!I finally saw the religion for the nonsense it is. My child recently received first communion (I know its weird) and the priest in his sermon told the parents that if they don't train the kids in religion, they'd better tie a brimstone aroud their necks and jump in the ocean! What a favor! That did it for me as now I can say fuck off to religion! It reminded me of my days as a first grader being scared to death of gods by fuckin neurotic nuns.

Now I love being godless and the children are being trained in religion, but hopefully, one day they'll give it up or see it as irrelevant!

JEEEExzusChrist! I better go and pick a fuckin heavy brimstone!!!!

It worked on me! 40 years of catholic training in sin an guilt and fuckin scare tactics!I finally saw the religion for the nonsense it is. My child recently received first communion (I know its weird) and the priest in his sermon told the parents that if they don't train the kids in religion, they'd better tie a brimstone aroud their necks and jump in the ocean! What a favor! That did it for me as now I can say fuck off to religion! It reminded me of my days as a first grader being scared to death of gods by fuckin neurotic nuns.

Now I love being godless and the children are being trained in religion, but hopefully, one day they'll give it up or see it as irrelevant!

JEEEExzusChrist! I better go and pick a fuckin heavy brimstone!!!!

I guess I am just surprised that more people aren't dropping like flies as they get older. I can't relate to exchristians because I was never a Christian to begin with. I just have strong views on religion because it is always being shoved down people's throats.

It must be that religion gets planted very deep at an early age and afterwards we refuse to accept anything different.