Goodbye Jesus

Deconversion Rather Sudden

garrisonjj

Hard to explain how a practicing catholic, who had doubts his entire life, suddenly dismissed religion and gods as irrelevant. Attending catholic schools run in the 60's by fucking insecure neurotic nuns and their "you'll go to hell" philosophy definitely had latent results.

My thirst for debunking god and christianity is insatiable as this newfound freedom has overrun my life. I am no more or less moral, just relieved to dump the fuckin intimidation, anxiety and guilt that has defined religion for me my entire life. Is this just a mid life crisis? or a firm acknowledgment of finding the truth?

I don't think there's any set pathway or timeline for deconversion. Some like you dumped the christian religion overnight. Others, like me, lost belief in it over months or years, rejecting the doctrine piece by piece, until there was nothing left. Can't be a midlife crisis thing, it happened to me when I was a teenager. For a long time, I didn't say much about my atheism; it was just a personal thing to me, and nobody else's business. But lately I've gotten a lot more militant due to the way the fundigelicals have mounted an effort to take over the government, control politicians and impose their nonsensical superstitions on the public policy of the country.

Hard to explain how a practicing catholic, who had doubts his entire life, suddenly dismissed religion and gods as irrelevant. Attending catholic schools run in the 60's by fucking insecure neurotic nuns and their "you'll go to hell" philosophy definitely had latent results.

My thirst for debunking god and christianity is insatiable as this newfound freedom has overrun my life. I am no more or less moral, just relieved to dump the fuckin intimidation, anxiety and guilt that has defined religion for me my entire life. Is this just a mid life crisis? or a firm acknowledgment of finding the truth?

Sounds to me like the very normal human need to get back at what/whoever dealt such an utterly unfair hand then taped your mouth shut and stood with the riffle trained on your head and the trigger drawn ready to release at the slightest provocation.

I was kicked out of one of those "schools", in the 60's, for being an Atheist. They got frustrated when their indoctrination techniques wouldn't work on a 7 year old.

It's just a bitter feeling, that will go away, for having been lied to for so long. It's a very common phase that many go through. Try to focus it towards something good.

I was a christian for 30 years. I just deconverted about 3 months ago. It took me about 1 month of reading and studing the so called evil books that debunked religion. Funny how 30 years of crap can be undone by a little reasoning. My wife is still a christian and thinks I am going through some mid life crisis, but I now better.

Oh and it feels really good to say "Jesus Fucking Christ."

and "Holy fucking Shit."

Aaaaahhhh, much better.

:Wendywhatever:

I dunno. Some people deconvert quickly, others it takes a long time.

I suppose one way to find out if it's a midlife crisis is to see how long it lasts. If you think you are indeed having a general midlife crisis anyway, then if you end up returning to religion as you settle down, then maybe it is just that.

But then, maybe you've indeed cut through the crap and the change is permanent. Time will tell...

Is this just a mid life crisis? or a firm acknowledgment of finding the truth?

I'd say the latter; every person is different, so every deconversion story will be different. You're simply dealing with it as you need to.