Goodbye Jesus

Fundys Who Want Money

ThinkingForMyself

Hi everyone!

I'm going to make this short.

I haven't been to church since June of last year. However, I'm now getting bothered by a former pastor to give money to his missions ministry. This makes me feel uncomfortable. I don't want to give any money to him. If I do, it'll be me saying "I'm a hypocritical atheist". I just can't support something I don't believe. If someone wants to live on no income and go around telling people about an imaginary friend, that's their choice.

Anyways, what's the best thing to say to this man? or the best thing to do?

Just say no. Keep it simple, and be firm. Walk away if you have to, but don't apologize. You shouldn't have to apologize for something like that anyway. Be assertive.

Nice Method:

Tell him your income is already stretched, and that you've already given to your established charities already. Sorry.

Not-So-Nice Method:

Tell him you are not donating money. Period (no apologizing).

Fucking Mean Method:

Tell him you are sorry his current congregation are such a bunch of uncharitable losers that he has to resort to begging former flock for cash, and that at most you'll donate a bell and a bucket for his cause. Drilling lots of holes (so everything smaller than a nickel falls through) in the bucket is optional.

Anyways, what's the best thing to say to this man? or the best thing to do?

Remind him that his book of lies says that every prayer will be answered, and let him pray for the needed bucks to pop into his collection box, or plate, or whatever out of thin air. If that doesn't happen, well, I guess he's really a sinner and that's the punishment. :pureevil:

Honestly, if you're determined to not tell any comfortable lies just to avoid confrontation, you can as well be straightforwardly, brutally honest.

I'd just say no. Then I'd politely ask him to stop asking me.

He isn't entitled to any reason why you won't give, but if he presses the issue and you think it might be useful, you can tell him you no longer believe. (I'm assuming one of the reasons he's bothering you is because he doesn't know.)

It's kind of up to you what you tell him though. Really, a simple "No" should suffice, and is all he deserves.

Either do what Thurisaz says and tell the preacher to just ask Jebus for the money (citing all the verses where Jebus says that all believers will get whatever they ask for), or tell him to fuck off and leave you alone or you'll call the police.

That ought to fix his little red wagon :)

Tell him you're tapped out. You just gave all your money to Planned Parenthood.

Don't give one red cent but tell him that you'll pray for him. :wicked:

mwc

That's pathetic, isn't his god supposed to be interested in things other than your money?

I agree with the others. Keep telling him no, go away, fuck off, whatever is neccessary.

He has no excuse for this. If he keeps at it and you get to the point where you've had enough, I'd be investigating any available legal options.

Tell him that you aren't interested in making a donation at this time or at any time in the future. If you were to tell him you don't have any money to give right now, trust me, the preacher will come back; they always do. You have to make it very clear to him that you will never be giving him any money.

Thanks guys!

This guy sent me both a letter in the mail and an e-mail asking for money. He's saying that if he doesn't get the necessary funds, he won't get to go on some trip out to Asia. All I can think of is "Too bad". I don't have the money to go on a trip right now, but you don't see me pestering others for money.

I sent him a really short e-mail that said that my income is stretched pretty thin and my answer is no. No appologies from me.

Thurisaz, that's a great idea about citing verses that say if you pray, God will provide. I had thought of saying something like that. Telling him that if he believes that God wants him to go, God will provide him with the funds. If not, then his imaginary friend doesn't have it planned for him. It would have been funny. :D

I personally don't like how xtians will do anything to get cash from others. I think it's a big scam operation they're running. I don't believe their garbage, so I won't be giving any support of any kind to them.

Let's see if the guy can get the message.

I'd turn around and ask him for money and quote that bible verse that a Xtian supposed to give what is asked of them, even double.

Ummmm.....I would like to make a trip out to Europe......I need help with the money.......I need everyone here to make a donation......If you do so it will make me very happy.........(if the Church can do it why can't I?) HeHeHeHe......

I agree with Amethyst.

Here's a batch of songs I play for inspiration. One part seems esp. appropriate to your situation:

When you're tired of those evangelists who tell you to confess--

When they're asking for your money then they that you've been blessed--

Just say no.

I, too, think it's downright ridiculous that he's using a trip to Asia as an excuse for money. Like, who of us can afford a trip to Asia? Besides, on his trip to Asia he will probably do the very thing we so loathe about xians doing right here at home--shove religion down people's throats.

If you don't want to get into head games, emotional manipulation, guilt trips, etc. I think the answer you gave him is probably the best approach. If that doesn't do it check out your legal options. You might not have to take any actions. Just let him know you are aware of the action you could--and will--take if he's going to be nasty.

Other options: Email can be blocked. Letters can be returned. Of course, one needs to take into consideration what further implications these actions might have. For example, will the entire neighbourhood vandalize your property when you're on vacation just to get back at you? Or will local businesses refuse to treat you right? Will you suffer at work?

Some really tough decisions need to be made at times. History is full of little acts of resistence like this from ordinary people who happen to be in a minority status. The cumulative effect can be more rights a century later.

Ummmm.....I would like to make a trip out to Europe......I need help with the money.......I need everyone here to make a donation......If you do so it will make me very happy.........(if the Church can do it why can't I?) HeHeHeHe......

I want to set up this big information-dissemination program to inform the world--churchy folks and all--of the Real Truth. Truth that liberates! This Truth will set you free from the tyrany of an almighty all-seeing blood-thirsty Triple Deity. I need a couple million dollars for starters. Anyone who gives even just a toonie* or two will be acknowledged publicly. Receipts will be issued for donations of $10 or more. Who wants to be part of this noble service to humanity? Do I see a hand over there? Great! Pass the hat! Anyone else?

Oops! There's just one little problem. Got something to do with "written law from Ottawa." Seems I don't have legal status to issue receipts "for income tax purposes." Hmmm.

*$2.00 Cnd coin

This guy sent me both a letter in the mail and an e-mail asking for money.

Is it possible that you are (still) on some kind of mailing list? If so, it would be wise to ask to be removed from the list(s) as well.

Tell him you're tapped out. You just gave all your money to Planned Parenthood.

QFA

Quoted for Awesomeness.

:HaHa:

I have 2 jobs, and still need an extension ladder to reach the poverty line.

I have no money to donate. And wouldnt give it to a preacher if I did.

hmmm, methinks that you'll get another come-on from MrGimmeeMoreMoola.

It's always initially painful, and probably will have mucho social ramifications (particularly if you live in a gossipy, conformist small town in the Bible Belt), but admitting apostacy in plain and simple to read English (no maybes, no what-ifs) will probably do the trick.

Again, not knowing your situation, it can be dicey. But repeating to The PreacherMan what you wrote to us and I've just got to repeat it 'cause you said it oh so well:

"If someone wants to live on no income and go around telling people about an imaginary friend, that's their choice"

has enough punch to it to at least let him know that you should be deleted from his Beg List.

Tell him you just spent your money on the Church of Satan membership fee.

Oh, I like this!

Tell him you just spent your money on the Church of Satan membership fee.

or you can be passive aggressive!

Say, "okay" and don't send any money, Do this every time he calls, until he gives up on you.

That always works.

You could just change your e-mail address and "forget" to give it to him. Same thing with your phone number if he's calling you. If he asks for it, give him a fake one. With physical mail, don't even open it if it's from him, just throw it out. Simply ignoring him should work as well as saying no if you're too chicken to say no. The key is to be consistent, no matter how hard he tries to bug you.

Hey everybody!

You guys are hilarious! I went from being annoyed by the situation to seeing the opportunity to play around with someone's head now.

He's still e-mailing me looking for money. I think he's just plain pushy, but I'm going to mess with his head for a bit. Hey, he messes with other people's heads. What goes around comes around.

He e-mailed me today looking for support. I guess he's really eager to go on a trip to Asia with other peoples cash. I was up late last night doing homework and tonight I went to a toastmasters meeting to give a speech. So I'm tuckered out. I'll wait a couple of days and mess with his head then. It's more fun when I've had some sleep.

Watching this guy makes me realize how smart I was to leave the fold and use my own head in life. It's just stupid to quit a good paying job to live on no income believing an imaginary friend will support you instead.

:lmao: