Goodbye Jesus

Atheist Parenting

leftofpunk

My GF and I had a 2 1/2 year old son and we've agree'd not to raise him with a religion. I'm not going to "raise him to be an atheist" but rather let him now where I stand, Sarah will do the same and so on to eventually let him decide for himself when he is older. Has anyone here raised thier children this way? Any problems with christians grandparents or other family confusing or trying to manipulate the kids? I don't mind his grandmother telling him what she believes just so long as she's not telling him that we're wrong or he's going to hell or anything.

well, My $0.02 I'm the kind of parent that doesn't like to hide things from my kids, perhaps because I was so sheltered and was so culture shocked I dunno? My advice, the more exposure to cultures, religion the better. As long as you encourage critical thinking, and asking the hardest questions to the blind believers I don't think you should keep people away due to their religions. Your child will only fear hell if he doesn't know about it being a manipulation tool, You wont be by your Childs side every second of his life, it's best to prepare him to deal with zealots instead of being blindsided by them. When they are older of course 2 1/2 is wayyy to young. However I think it's a good thing you're keeping them away from doctrine. Life is much better making choices on logic and reason rather then emotionalism (Which is all Religion really is)

My GF and I had a 2 1/2 year old son and we've agree'd not to raise him with a religion. I'm not going to "raise him to be an atheist" but rather let him now where I stand, Sarah will do the same and so on to eventually let him decide for himself when he is older. Has anyone here raised thier children this way? Any problems with christians grandparents or other family confusing or trying to manipulate the kids? I don't mind his grandmother telling him what she believes just so long as she's not telling him that we're wrong or he's going to hell or anything.

I'm still working on it :)

Eventhough I de-converted so recently, I've talked a bit with my kids.

And I take it very easy on them, not giving them the idea that God does not exists, but I tell them that there might be something after dead, and if there is, then it will be good, and we'll be together etc. The only thing I tell strongly is that if there is a God, he is not like how one single religion makes him. God could be just a life force, and such. I kind of give it to them in such a way that I open up a discussion of what they believe and what they want to believe. And don't judge them for what they say or think, but just give them hints to how to think and reason. Kind of teaching them a bit to think rational.

I think I will want to immerse my kids in Scientific literature.

• 3 weeks later...

That is what Jester and I are wanting to do with our daughter, who is 2.5 years old and our soon to be daughter due in like 9 days.

Here is a post I made on a different BBS (which sucks since when posting in the Faith/Religion forum... if you don't have the same Catholic views you are seen as a Nazi, Bad Parent, Baby Killer, etc. etc. etc......) I was a member of until recently since I got fed up with Christian/Catholics saying we were bad parents etc. etc. for not being God lovers and actually being educated adults that looked at both sides of the argument, then gave our opinions on the matter.... instead of attacking the person raising the argument and committing other fallacies (which is what debates should be).

P.S. Just because Jester is an Atheist doesn't mean I am as well. Parenting takes two sides. Both need to come to an agreement when setting out guidelines for raising a child. Before Jester and I got married we would always have Random and Philosophical conversations. Jester and I never saw Eye-To-Eye on EVERYTHING. I think if a couple saw Eye-To-Eye on EVERYTHING that could be a pretty boring home-life. But then again, that's just me. Then again if a couple never agreed on anything then it COULD BE doomed for failure since there could be constant arguing. So, just because Jester is an Atheist don't ASSUME that we are raising our daughter as one.

Also, when I was raised by my family, we never talked openly about Religion and Politics. I feel that those are personal ideas that only one should share if they choose to. Then again, in Jester’s family that seems to be the norm to talk about.. which I find WEIRD, but then again who is family is… you can see for why that is all they talk about. Then again I married Jester and not his family…. THANK “GOD”!

In my family, every family member has followed their own path. Majority is Christian but different sects of Christianity. I think I’m one of the only ones that have studies other religions. I’ve studied parts of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, and Wicca. I feel that a person needs to experience there own path when choosing what to believe or think, instead of being force-fed ideas from childbirth. Strong moral & ethical values should always be established -- even if one doesn’t practice a religion or idea.

So, it looks like you’re not the only ones dealing with that.

Good Luck! :)

...instead of attacking the person raising the argument and committing other fallacies (which is what debates should be).

Er, no, you don't attack the person, you attack the argument. Otherwise it's flaming. IMHO, personal attacks have no place in a debate.

Er, no, you don't attack the person, you attack the argument.  Otherwise it's flaming.  IMHO, personal attacks have no place in a debate.

No, I was saying we didn't conduct debates like that, but the people there were attacking and making fallacies. Sorry. I'm running on major lack of sleep. Sorry if it came out like that. All of my thoughts were running together at once.

Let me fix it with separating it out.

I was a member of, until recently, since I got fed up with Christian/Catholics saying we were bad parents etc. etc. for not being God lovers and actually being educated adults that looked at both sides of the argument, then gave our opinions on the matter.... (which is what debates should be).

People at the other BBS were attacking the person raising the argument and committing other fallacies -- instead of facing the argument at hand.

Also, our daughter is 3.5 years old not 2.5 years old. That shows you my lack of sleep, since I only have 9 days left till my surgery.

Just raising elBeasto to know that there is a world of answers out there.

Answer the questions as honestly as you can, appropriate for age and experience.

Set your limits on what *you* what for attitudes and direction in life.

Be firm in parenting, be a parent, ensure your little ones have a foundation on which to respect you and your leadership in family. Be the *Boss*, and unafraid to make descisions that will direct course othat you and all of yours will take.

Do not follow fads, turn off the propaganda machines, lose the video games, keep kids and you physically active.

Ensure your kids not only can read, but understand and comprehend. If a child can read for him/her self, no matter how much bullshit it pounded down their necks in public venues like schools and peer groups, they can be educated in the manner in which you have directed.

Make the kids try things like sports, music, skilled things. Most kids are curious and will wnat to *try* something, but often will attempt and quit.. It is a good time to work on building the all important work ethic by having Junior finish what he started even if he hates it..

Be there. Nothing more important for your kid, having Dad there. Even if is just snuggle time on couch, or cheering at the Game, helping with homework.

They'll grow so fucking fast you'll end up going *HUH??*...

Love them. Ensure they get that at home. Resistance to the various pressures and pains of *ouside* begins at Home..

haciendaFatman is usually a messy, chaotic, running in every direction but forward place most daze.. Beastie doesn't ever go without positive reinforcement and a hug or ten daily..

kL

No, I was saying we didn't conduct debates like that, but the people there were attacking and making fallacies. Sorry. I'm running on major lack of sleep. Sorry if it came out like that. All of my thoughts were running together at once.

No problem. If you have a small child, that's completely understandable.

this is kinda what i've decided to do once i have kids.. i'm not going to outright tell my kid what i believe, but if he/she asks, i won't lie.. and i will let him/her make up their mind about life.

it would suck if my future-kid became a fundy and started trying to convert me :twitch:

in response to Khan, i believe i would also immerse my kid in scientific/philosophical literature.

i know this would be hard to do (cus he/she is going to see it somewhere) but i don't want TV in my house.. i've gotten to the point where i don't watch it anymore, and i don't want my kid to become a TV junky and turn his/her brain into liquid shite.

this is kinda what i've decided to do once i have kids.. i'm not going to outright tell my kid what i believe, but if he/she asks, i won't lie.. and i will let him/her make up their mind about life.

Oh, I know if I ever have kids, they'll ask me at some point..."Mommy, why does everyone else in our family go to church, and we don't have to?"

it would suck if my future-kid became a fundy and started trying to convert me

I'd tell them not as long as they are living under my roof.

i know this would be hard to do (cus he/she is going to see it somewhere) but i don't want TV in my house..

Well, just cause it sucks now, doesn't mean it'll suck in 10 years. Besides, the way things are going, TV will be in the new computers anyway, so you won't have a choice if you want a computer. My laptop has a TV, but it doesn't work anymore.

Well, I don't have any kids of my own, but my aunt and I were just talking about this yesterday. My aunt has just that stand when it comes to my cousins and religion. In fact, not so long ago my cousin that's three years younger than me went to a church with friends to try it out... Said that it was good except there was "too much preaching". lol

Well, just cause it sucks now, doesn't mean it'll suck in 10 years.  Besides, the way things are going, TV will be in the new computers anyway, so you won't have a choice if you want a computer.  My laptop has a TV, but it doesn't work anymore.

i dunno about it not sucking 10 years from now, but about the tv/comp crossover, you are 100% right. see, i'm not against the science/discovery/history/learning channels and comedy central (i love standup :D ), but i'm against the cartoons that are played for kids these days, REALITY shows, talk shows.. same regurgitated BS i saw as a kid, and hated as a kid.. my favorite channel when i was 5 y/o was ETV.. if that tells you anything :\

i agree with not allowing my future-kid to engage in divine worship under my roof.. but what i find funny about that would be this scenario, and how i personally would play it out..

kid: dad..

me: yes?

kid: i'm gay

me: well that's fine, it's not going to change how i feel about you.

or this..

kid: dad..

me: yes?

kid: i joined His Holy Covenant of the Fire Baptised Cross Church of the Lord today.. and got saved.

me: WHHHHAAAAATTT!!! NO KID OF MINE IS GOING TO BE A "FUNDY".

:lmao:

No problem.  If you have a small child, that's completely understandable.

THanks for not beating me over the head for asying what I meant out of order..