Goodbye Jesus

Cognitive Dissonance Activates the Imagination

webmdave

• Admin

By Joey Hackl

I learned a new term, cognitive dissonance. It is a theory that, simply put, suggests that contradicting cognitions serve as a driving force that compels the mind to acquire or invent new thoughts or beliefs, or to modify existing beliefs, so as to reduce the amount of dissonance (conflict) between cognitions. - Wikipedia. This theory makes a lot of sense to me as I've observed people exhibiting this type of behavior, especially when it comes to religion. If I point out an inconsistency or contradiction in a religion that causes the religious person to experience cognitive dissonance, they will make stuff up in order to be comfortable with those contradictions!

For instance, I can get a Christian to agree that slavery is morally wrong and that it does not have a place in society, but when I point out Bible verses that condone and regulate slavery (even how to properly beat your slaves), this causes cognitive dissonance in their mind. On one hand they believe slavery is wrong, but on the other hand the Bible tells them its Ok. To resolve this there are two things that can be done: 1) Admit that the Bible's condoning and regulation of slavery is a fault, which would rock the foundation of the religion, since it is completely based on the Bible. 2) Make up some explanation that will allow the two dissonant cognitions to peacefully co-exist in their mind. Most people go with option #2.

I will admit that my imagination has been a victim of cognitive dissonance and here is one example. When I was 14 I had been playing guitar for already a few years. I was interested in the electric guitar. My family couldn't afford to buy me any expensive high quality guitar and amp, but they bought me the best they could with what they could afford. So technically, I had a cheap guitar and I ran it through a cheap amp, neither of which sounded good nor could ever be used professionally. To me, however, this was the greatest gift my parents could give me. I was touched and this guitar and amp combo was of great value to me.

I proceeded to use this gear in a couple of bands I was in back then. In these bands we would meet other bands who had different type of gear. Professional gear. I remember when I talked with a guitarist about my gear, he was blunt in letting me know that it was cheap and sounds cheap and I should upgrade if I want to move forward with my music. This is where the cognitive dissonance was birthed in my mind. On one hand this amp and guitar were my most valued possessions on the other hand I was faced with the reality that I cannot continue using them in the professional world if I want to advance. Well, at this point in time, I decided to defend my equipment. I made up (and was convinced of) reasons why my guitar and amp "sounds great." I must have looked like such a fool, because there I was trying to convince someone that a $150 Samick guitar could produce the same sound as a $1500 Fender Startocaster and that a 25 WATT Peavey solid state amp compared to a 100 WATT Marshall JCM 800. For those of you that don't speak guitar it would be like comparing a Geo Metro to a Ferrari.

What silliness our minds are capable of!

http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2007/01...-activates.html