Goodbye Jesus

Busy Bodies...

truth

Oy oy... So this afternoon as I am heading out the door for lunch.. my cell phone rings..caller ID says it is xxPentecostal Church...so I think.. hhm this is odd why are they calling me? I have never been attended there. I answer it... and I get hello this is pastor so and so from xx church.. pasterX gave me your name and phone number. We understand you have had a losse of you grandmother... We were wondering if you would like to come out to any of our functions..

Which I respond no thankyou I am not interessted. But thank you for calling. Then he said.. oh I think I grew up with you in xx church.. I asked him his name again.. Oh yes.. I don't think you are the same age as me though.. turns out he is 5 yrs younger which is a big jump when your growing up as a kid. He said sorry for your loss and let it go at that.

I was SO annoyed at this old pastor though for giving my name and number out.. and wondered how he even got my number... I was a bit irrated over confidentliality and boundries.. gee whiz all this guy did was officate at the services. I found out from my mom, that my aunt gave him permission to give my name out to have someone on staff at the church there call me... So he at least kind of asked someone in the family.. He was asking where the rest of the family attend church.. so I geuss she said that my mom and sister attend xx church but she doesn't go anywhere... so he was like well can I get someone to call her to come to our church... and gee the very next day they are calling me.

I think my aunt is picking up the torch, of her mother and is going to try to be as um religious and bold as her mom.... which is kind of too bad.. I was just getting to know her a bit better but if she is going to start bothering me to go to church.. I won't put up with it.

I am possibly going to go talk to this woman pastor of a different church.. but still Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada this week. I did however ask her on the night my grandma was dying if I could talk with her sometime that I was having a crisis of faith..OK.. I don't if it was guilt or grief..or a need to be honest with someone that made me ask that. She is my aunt good friend, but she is also an ordained pastor who shouldn't breach confidentality. I am not sure yet... what exactly I plan to tell her or ask her or what.. the last thing I want is her trying to get me to rededicate my life...so I think I might down play my aposty a bit... I don't think I am at the point yet where I can solidly defend my agnosticism/humanism epecially to a pastor.

Truth, you don't have to "defend" anything to anyone. Your beliefs or lack of beliefs are yours. You own them, and you don't need to justify them. So if you don't feel like discussing matters of religion, then simply don't. You have a right to that. After all, your beloved grandma has passed away, you need time for yourself to process that loss.

(Sincere condolences to you, Truth. Grandparents are special people in our lives. May you find comfort.)

truth,

Pastors tend to like to hear themselves talk. I would suggest that you not say a whole lot She has an entire sermons at her disposal and has a rehearsed answer for every question you ask. Nod occasionally to fein interest to let her think she is really hitting home and answer her questions as vaugely as you can. Remember, the more she talks the less you have to.

Taph

Truth, you don't have to "defend" anything to anyone. Your beliefs or lack of beliefs are yours. You own them, and you don't need to justify them. So if you don't feel like discussing matters of religion, then simply don't. You have a right to that. After all, your beloved grandma has passed away, you need time for yourself to process that loss.

(Sincere condolences to you, Truth. Grandparents are special people in our lives. May you find comfort.)

Have to agree. You shouldn't have to talk about things you do not want to. Be assertive, preferably without being rude if possible.

Ah yes good suggestions...

She just called me a few minutes ago.. we are getting together for coffee tommorow night.. Ahhh I am wondering what has possessed me to agree to this.. and yes it was I who initianted wanting to talk so it's my own darn fault. I guess I could have backed out if I really wanted to.

Maybe I will just try to steer the conversation away from my faith.. or lack of it.. to my grief... or get her to talk more. Sigh...

I am tired of everyone just assuming that I still believe everything.. I kind of feel like a fraud.. but it isn't my fault if they just assume I have faith still.

Ah yes good suggestions...

She just called me a few minutes ago.. we are getting together for coffee tommorow night.. Ahhh I am wondering what has possessed me to agree to this.. and yes it was I who initianted wanting to talk so it's my own darn fault. I guess I could have backed out if I really wanted to.

Maybe I will just try to steer the conversation away from my faith.. or lack of it.. to my grief... or get her to talk more. Sigh...

I am tired of everyone just assuming that I still believe everything.. I kind of feel like a fraud.. but it isn't my fault if they just assume I have faith still.

You should be firm but you were not. :shrug: Perhaps it's just that you find something charming about her personality :wicked: (nothing wrong about that... but an impression of her is just an impression...) ? Is that true? That's just my guess about you joining her for coffee. :twitch: