Goodbye Jesus

Six Months Since I Joined...

riverbank

...and I still don't know anyone on here really, well, if I left, no-one would notice.

So, I'm just looking for 'advice' or whatever you would call it, on how I could make myself a valued member of Ex-C, whether it's just a case of making more posts, or whatever.

This forum was a real lifeline for me and was without doubt, the biggest reason why I managed to get my life back on track. But my 'need' for this forum has now pretty much passed, and so, if I am going to stay a while longer, I would like to get to know one or two people.

I don't have half the knowledge or insight of some of the contributors here, and also there doesn't seem to be many people on here from my country, which is a shame - but anyway, any responses would be great..

regards

I don't have half the knowledge or insight of some of the contributors here, and also there doesn't seem to be many people on here from my country, which is a shame - but anyway, any responses would be great..

Hi riverbank,

I see that you're based in Leeds - well, so am I, sort of. I live in Ilkley, so I'm just up the road from you (depending on which side of Leeds you're on). I don't post that much on this forum because I usually prefer just to drink in all the information on offer here, but if you'd ever like to chat just PM me.

Hey Riverbank,

Not from England, but I'm glad you're here and to "chat" with you.

Tim

I don't know. I'm of the opinion that every little bit helps. You have a perspective that is uniquely you and even though you don't think you're offering anything you're offering that. And remember...the more knowledge and insight you gain the more you'll have to offer.

mwc

I know what you mean Riverbank... I didn't post anything for the first 3 months after I joined, back before they had to change server/forum.

Even today I still feel that I'm not a "valued" member, despite what I've posted in the past, nor do I feel like I have the insight and/or knowledge to contribute like some members...

Hell, sometimes I feel that the only reason people notice I'm not here at times is because I've been here so long it's like coming home and realising your kitchen clock's not there... almost like I'm part of the decor around here. :HaHa:

Anyway, the way things go here is... we have the core of "old-timers" who would probably have the URL to this place on their headstone, the people who come here for support, to learn, to ask for advice, then move on with their lives... and the ones who want the advice, support and knowledge, then hang around afterwards to help others.

You look like you're wanting to hang around and help others... so I'd say do so. You don't need to make 000's of posts (looking at you Hans :wicked: ) or say something insightful to be valued... you just have to be a member of the community and not screw with other members. (general manners, I suppose...)

Oh, and nice to see someone else from Yorkshire... West Yorkshire.... Leeds.... :scratch: Am I about to find out we're neighbours?

Hello! I'm not from the UK, but I'm always up for a chat if you need it! Just send me a message whenever you need to. :)

It's okay that you're starting to feel like you don't need the forum as much. We all have differing and changing needs in life, and if being here helped you a bit, even for a short time; then isn't that what this is here for?

Oh com'on CT, you're just feeling down because you and Neil ran off all the creationists. :P

And Riverbank, stick around. We could use more Europeans to dilute some of the silliness of us yanks. We might even learn to speak proper English. :D

Hey, I don't know alot of people here, indepth, either. PM me too if you like! :D

Shit....we're supposed to be knowledgeable and insightful?! :twitch:

Now I have to go read....

Yo riverbank..

Gotta remind you there is only room for one fatassed, bald, bad attituded old Fatguy.. and I OWN that slot here at ExC!

Will say hat everyone adds *something*. Even if you are not a verbose fullabullshit poster like daFAtman, or a posts rarely but with impact like Hiemdall, or any of the "regulars" who always have a nose for commentary and insight and post daily, your posts add still another voice.

Everyone adds something to our growing Community of People, cap "p", folks who are no long obedient to the black robed and suited whores who were attempting to control our lifes and fortunes.

Don't sweat it that you are still looking and searching for a *niche*. You may not find a spot that is exactly what you were seeking; you may find that there is a comfortable place here.

What I suggest is enjoy the site, the people, and don't be afraid to drop an IM/PM line to those who you would like to communicate and talk with.

As Vig says and I concur, it is a good thing to have folks such as yourself here to add to the mix.

kevinL

I for one am glad that you're here, riverbank. Each person who rejects the superstitions of the Christcult and comes out in any public way about it is a valuable one. We are fists in the face of God, the ones who pull back the curtain and show the Wizard of Heaven for what he is - and that he has less substance than the Wizard of Oz did.

Shit, PM me and bitch away all you like. I know what it's like to not feel welcome or just unnoticed, and it sucks. But fuck it all - just keep reading and posting, and as times goes on, you'll dig a deeper trench for yourself here, and your fellow combatants will notice.

We all are diverse in many ways, but we have one thing in common - opposition of the still-dangerous Xian deathcult. Hopefully, that opposition will bring us all closer together :)

So, I'm just looking for 'advice' or whatever you would call it, on how I could make myself a valued member of Ex-C, whether it's just a case of making more posts, or whatever.

Hey Riverbank, this place can often be loud I think. Sometimes I get the feeling that in order to join in some of the conversations I have to be even louder.

However, instead of being loud I have few pieces of advice. First, as you have already suggested, you might try and post more often. You have an average posting rate of 1/day. You might try and kick that up a little. Second I've noticed that getting in on new topics early in their opening tends to secure a place in the conversation. Third, ask questions. And try not to be overly concerned if you don't get answers to all of them. Some are likely to find a person with enough manners to try and respond. And be willing, even eager, to answer questions directed at you, even if the answer is "that's none of your business."

Well there's a few ideas at least. There are other more underhanded ways of getting noticed that I will refrain from highlighting. I must admit that I have known of your presence, but I can't claim to know you very well. I've been here for about the same time as you have though. Perhaps with a little time that can be fixed.

This post certainly captured my attention. That gives me another idea. Don't be reluctant to ask for advice. And don't be reluctanct to ignore any that I may offer.

I'm in awe of a lot of the people here and many times I have to go do reseach on what is being discussed so I'm informed or know what the hell is being discussed. That's how I learn.

When I first came here I knew squat about evolution. I didn't even understand a lot of the terminology and had to train my brain to think that way because I never thought that way before. Now at least I can read the posts and understand them and contribute a little, very little.

There is always going to be someone who knows more about something that you do, but that doesn't mean you don't have anything to contribute to what is being discussed. We all have our own opinoins and different ways of looking at things that others find informative and of value.

If I commented on all the posts that I enjoyed reading, I'd spend all my time here commenting on others posts instead of adding to the discussions. I know you don't get a lot of feedback, I don't think anyone does, but trust me when I say that people do enjoy reading your posts.

Taph

Stick around river, I've only been here since December, and I want to give it time. I feel much as you do, but again it's been a much shorter time for me. I'm reading tons, so I don't post too much. I'm hoping, I'll be able to feel comfortable in stating my opinion, but I can assure you a couple of PM's from someone can do wonders for that confidence. You took the time to post in a thread of mine, and I appreciate that. When you do post, I always read them.

Help a newbie!

That was meant to have read...from the south west doh...but I dont have an edit functions

thanks for all the replies .. will PM some more of you later but don't have quite as much time to use the internet at the moment..

regards

andy

Don't feel bad bro, when they see me post I'm sure most people think, "Oh no, the long winded one is here."

I've seen and read your posts riverbank. I'm glad you're here so stick around so we can get to know you better.

Now, that Crazy-Tiger person...I've never heard of him and he's been here about the same time as I have. Oh well... :HaHa: (I'm just teasing of course)

Now, that Crazy-Tiger person...I've never heard of him and he's been here about the same time as I have.

The name rings a bell... who is he again? :scratch:

Oh shoot I've been here...... crap how long have I been here??? :shrug: I forget, anyway let's just say a while, and I can't say I know anyone really really tight or anything. Only one person has added me to IM or anything, and that's just cuz he's all pushy, er um not shy, yeah that's it, not shy. I like reading here, a lot of smart people, and there is some funny stuff as well. I post what I post, if it adds to something YAY if it doesn't, well I tried and not everything can be a pearl of wisdom.

If you want to make friends, then look up some profiles, send a PM or something like that. You never know someone here may just be waiting for someone like you to PM them and say something nice.