Goodbye Jesus

Christians Are Still Praying For Me...

riverbank

So yeah, after my leaving party (I recently moved location) a Christian friend of mine handed me a letter at the end - in short, it was a letter trying to persuade me to come back to Jesus. I emailed him (don't still have any of the emails to hand) saying I am not coming back, amongst other things. He then sent me a email 'encouraging' me to 'look at Jesus, who is life' (whatever). I was slightly pissed off by this attempt to win me back to Jeezus, so I sent a strong mail, which included the following:

I seriously doubt Jesus ever existed.

Christianity caused me a severe breakdown.

The work of the cross is de-valued by hell.

The old testament god is a devil.

I no longer believe the bible is true.

If more people took the bible literally, I am convinced there would be less Christians.

I have already sworn I will never return to Jesus.

And he sent an email back, saying 'you are top of my prayers. I can't help it'. The last email I sent I said that I swear on my life and I would also swear on my mothers life that I will never return to Jesus. I didn't say that I have blasphemed the Holy Spirit many times, maybe that WOULD shut him up.

And also I have another Christian friend who is praying for me and apparently some others are praying for me.....

AAAARGH!!!!! When will these Christians get the fucking message???? These guys are my friends and I have no intention of ending the friendship. But, it's frustrating when these Christians are sooooo brainwashed and can't accept that I will never be a Christian again.

Anyone else have similar experiences along these lines?

I've never had people quite so persistant, but yeah, I've had similar experiences.

I told them not to pray for me since I would take it as a personal insult but I obviously couldn't make them stop praying. If they were going to continue such things I would prefer they would make a sacrifice in my stead according to the OT texts instead (offering a goat or whatnot). I also told them that if they were going to pray for me that I would pray to Satan on their behalf until they stopped (they did not care for this and may be the reason they stopped...or stopped talking about it). The funny thing is that, since I don't believe in Satan, I'd have no problem praying right in front of the xian to him on their behalf. Try it. They might just understand (or at least go away really fast).

mwc

You could say something to them like "if prayer has a geniuine effect, why do you find it necessary to tell me you are doing it?"

That ought to shut them up about it.

You could say something to them like "if prayer has a geniuine effect, why do you find it necessary to tell me you are doing it?"

Probably not. Christians know that prayer to god doesn't work, but that isn't the point. This advertised prayer is a manipulation technique. They're trying to make you feel bad for leaving them behind. By telling you about their laboring in prayer for YOU, they hope to guilt you into returning to THEM (not god). It's a psychological tool/weapon akin to the Law of Reciprocity. They do something nice for you ("love" and prayer), you feel obligated to return the favor. Your friends are trying to love-bomb you back into the sheep pen.

Riverbank, pay them no mind. Eventually they will grow tired of you making them look like gullible nitwits, and then they'll move on to Step Two...shunning the unbeliever. Can't be unequally yoked now, can we?

Ugh.

I used to get that from my adoptive mother all the time. "I'm still praying for you, whether you like it or not".

I tried saying everything I could think of to get her to stop, but she would still persist. So finally we came to an agreement: she could pray for me all she wished, just please don't tell me; instead just say "you're on my mind" or some other thing like that. It's worked so far. She get's her way, and I don't have to deal with all her hyper-Christian blathering.

Ya know, there's a block function on most email servers. If this person wont leave you alone, don't abstain from using it.

Anyone else have similar experiences along these lines?

Same thing happened to me last year when I informed my two nieces of my apostasy. One said, telling her not to pray for me was like telling her not to breath! There is just no getting over the indocrination that is ingrained in their minds.

None of my Xian friends admits it openly, but I suspect that at least a few are probably praying for my return. They honestly believe in prayer and think that will work.

Xians in that position won't "get it" because their religion says they can change it. They're taught that prayer can change anything. Despite the facts all around them that say otherwise, they still believe it.

Yup... I am sure they are still praying for me.. haven't heard them say it in the last couple of months however..

Yep. I've had similar experiences. It's ridiculous. I just try to change the subject ASAP whenever the topic of Christianity comes up. That way, I can save myself some pain early on and hope that they forget about praying for me.

The funny thing is that, since I don't believe in Satan, I'd have no problem praying right in front of the xian to him on their behalf. Try it. They might just understand (or at least go away really fast).

mwc

muhahaha! Don't know if I'd have the guts to do that, but great idea nonetheless!

Probably not. Christians know that prayer to god doesn't work, but that isn't the point. This advertised prayer is a manipulation technique. They're trying to make you feel bad for leaving them behind. By telling you about their laboring in prayer for YOU, they hope to guilt you into returning to THEM (not god). It's a psychological tool/weapon akin to the Law of Reciprocity. They do something nice for you ("love" and prayer), you feel obligated to return the favor. Your friends are trying to love-bomb you back into the sheep pen.

Riverbank, pay them no mind. Eventually they will grow tired of you making them look like gullible nitwits, and then they'll move on to Step Two...shunning the unbeliever. Can't be unequally yoked now, can we?

Hmmm, not sure whether this is the case with the people I am referring to. I can pretty much assure you that this group of friends are very genuine and good people, and I think it's more likely perhaps that they are 'concerned for my soul' or however you put it.

I did lose one or two friends, but they were from my old church which was, well, very controlling and exclusive. This group of friends that are praying for me are not from that church. I would be willing to bet you some money that I won't ever lose their friendship, whatever happens.

However, it does amaze me that this guy in question still sees it suitable to pray for me after all I have said. He doesn't realise how much I know now and I'm sure he's of the opinion 'once a Christian, always a Christian'. But he has said to me he won't email me any more about these things unless I want him to.

People are praying for me .. yeah it's like .. OH JOY!

That reminds me of my parents telling me about a week ago that they're hoping I'll go back to Baptist form of Christianity. My Dad seen some Rapture bumper sticker on a van and imagined me being stuck on earth during it is what he told me. I've got similar problems. People at the church I was raised in stll pray for my salvation. I really don't care about people praying for me, I just ignore it.

I don't know why Ex-Christians get bent out of shape over this issue.

You know it isn't going to work. And it isn't going to do any harm to you.

Probably the Christian friend knows it isn't going to work, but s/he has to try, because it is part of the deal of faith.

They will soon give it up in most cases, if they even actually do it. The profound change that has happened to you, the Ex-Christian, has not happened (yet) to the Christian friend. If you tell them that it is an insult, they don't get it. They can't get it; "How can prayerful concern over my friend's soul be an insult?" If they did get it, they'd be 3/4 down the road to being an Ex themselves.

It is unfair to expect them to see what you see, know what you know, and feel what you feel. If one of these friends had de-converted before you, you would have had a very similar reaction, if you where all seriously devout.

Just like I don't get angry when my dog wags his tail when he sees me, I don't get angry at Christian friends that pray for me. It is what they do. It is a property of being Christian.

I think Christians say that sort of thing because they want that self-righteous high from saving a sinner. I think they all sit around and wait for a "lost soul" to come their way and then they are SO SURE that they can win you back.

I would tell them straight out in a calm voice that they can pray all they want for you, but you don't ever want to hear them say "I'll pray for you" again. Usually when people have it spelled out in so many words, they respect that.

Agreed. Even the bible says that biblegod will not force his will on any one and that it's ultimately every individual's choice to go to heaven or hell. Which is kinda interesting. Many Christians don't believe that when they say things like, "I know you're going to come back to God, I've been praying for you..." that they're actually contradicting the bible's statement on free will. If people go to hell then it must not REAllY be their fault...no one was praying for them.

I don't know why Ex-Christians get bent out of shape over this issue.

You know it isn't going to work. And it isn't going to do any harm to you. ... Just like I don't get angry when my dog wags his tail when he sees me, I don't get angry at Christian friends that pray for me. It is what they do. It is a property of being Christian.

I don't associate with fundies and it's been years since anyone "threatened" to pray for my soul. However, since I've been crippled by multiple sclerosis and have had to use crutches when I go out, I do occasionally get approached by people who say they'll pray for me.

Since most people say it with good intentions, I usually just let it go by saying, "Well, thank you for thinking of me."

Of course, if the person is a True Christian™, he or she will entirely miss my point that prayer is nothing but what goes on within one's own mind, but I get the satisfaction of not having to pretend to believe in a god who listens to prayers and not having to discuss religion with them.

On the other hand, if I appeared to be able-bodied and someone told me, "I'll pray for you," I'd probably respond, "And I'll think for you."

....And also I have another Christian friend who is praying for me and apparently some others are praying for me.....

They've been praying for me for over 50 years now. It hasn't worked. I tell them not to waste their time but it's their choice.

With a few old friends I spelled it out for them; "Unless you are interested in learning about Atheism let's change the subject." Of course they said they wanted to learn, but soon found out that I cut off any attempts at them trying to proselytize and they soon gave up. Most of them stuck around, those that didn't weren't friends anyway.

Try this.....LOL....tell them you blasphemed the holy spirit and told Christ to Go to Hell....

yeah i have done both those things so maybe i should do that (mind you I don't now believe in the Holy Spirit and I seriously doubt Jesus ever existed, so it doesn't really matter much to me that i have sinned so unforgivably).