Goodbye Jesus

Marketing To Children

leftofpunk

So this pisses me off. I'm still in my PJs and my 4 year old is eating cereal in the living room watching Spongebob Squarepants and Nick. Well I'm used to seeing those Kidz Bop commercials where you got a slew of pre-teens sing top 40 radio pop songs but then I see a very similar looking commercial but there were church songs the kids were singing so of course my 4 year old is all "I want that".

It's just frustrating. Is there some law that says secular and religious products have to have equal time in advertising? You don't really see religious commercials in Primetime other than the charities and at least those are aimed at adults.

I don't even know how to express how mad I am right now.

Am I overreacting?

The only way that Christianity has survived through the centuries is by changing and adapting to the culture around it. They claim to be rock solid and unmovable, but reality is a different story. The church puts out materials using modern music and styles because that is what will draw the kids and teens in, not moldy old hymns. As far as I know, there's no "equal time" law for religious ads; they just have to be able to afford an advertising slot.

I've seen that commercial. I hate the secular ones and this one sucks too. But "the church" has the cash and can whore themselves out to the most vulnerable audience just like every other advertiser out there. Bring them up in the way they should go and all that, right? They also sell that bible on DVD thing on those channels (still pictures and a voice over...yawn) so I doubt it gets the kids going like these music discs do.

Personally, I think you're overreacting. Your kid would probably like something FUN as opposed to some jesus tunes...no matter how great they look on the TV. Even taking them down to buy the colorful cereal from the next commercial would probably take their mind off of it if it's really an issue. Although I'd probably just go with "No. You can't have that" or something to that effect.

mwc

4 year olds have pretty short attention spans. I wouldn't worry. They may want something for a while, but it's only a matter of time before the next shiny object catches their eye.

The thing is that kids don't generally see an ad just once, they generally get bombarded. In all fairness, the ad in question seems to only run occasionally, but I find it annoying. Then there's an obscene number of ads for sugary cereal, etc. And not to forget the constant emphasis on material things compliments of those in the business of making money for the toy companies. If the kids see any amount of television, they WILL pressure their parents for these things, and they'll sell. I know that on average parents let their kids watch too much TV, but the point is there are things I don't like seeing marketed to kids that is not in their best interest simply to satisfy a sales (or other) agenda, not the least of which is religion.

The thing is that kids don't generally see an ad just once, they generally get bombarded. In all fairness, the ad in question seems to only run occasionally, but I find it annoying. Then there's an obscene number of ads for sugary cereal, etc. And not to forget the constant emphasis on material things compliments of those in the business of making money for the toy companies. If the kids see any amount of television, they WILL pressure their parents for these things, and they'll sell. I know that on average parents let their kids watch too much TV, but the point is there are things I don't like seeing marketed to kids that is not in their best interest simply to satisfy a sales (or other) agenda, not the least of which is religion.

Oh, I agree with you on that. Marketing anything directly to kids should be highly restricted, IMHO. Everything from toys to fast food is advertised to kids, whether or not it is actually good for them to have. The companies don't care whether the kids are healthy, all they want is to make money.

I know that on average parents let their kids watch too much TV, but the point is there are things I don't like seeing marketed to kids that is not in their best interest simply to satisfy a sales (or other) agenda, not the least of which is religion.

Well, right there you just ended up in the losing end of this argument. Religion is always good for the kiddies. Everyone knows that. :rolleyes: How else does anyone get morals? So once you take off the ads for the "junk" like the sugar cereals and whatnot then all you'll have are the little kids singing praises to jesus. Sounds like a plan. :)

mwc

So this pisses me off. I'm still in my PJs and my 4 year old is eating cereal in the living room watching Spongebob Squarepants and Nick. Well I'm used to seeing those Kidz Bop commercials where you got a slew of pre-teens sing top 40 radio pop songs but then I see a very similar looking commercial but there were church songs the kids were singing so of course my 4 year old is all "I want that".

It's just frustrating. Is there some law that says secular and religious products have to have equal time in advertising? You don't really see religious commercials in Primetime other than the charities and at least those are aimed at adults.

I don't even know how to express how mad I am right now.

Am I overreacting?

No, you are not overreacting. All they have to do is have the money to pay for the advertising. Do you have any idea how much money they have to spend on advertising to be on Nick and during a popular show like Spongebob Squarepants? I don't think they are doing anything charitable with the profits either.

The "Save The Children" commericals that try to pull at your heart strings also spend a ton of money in every major and not so major markets across the entire country. Advertising isn't cheap, it's extremely expensive.

Well, right there you just ended up in the losing end of this argument. Religion is always good for the kiddies. Everyone knows that. :rolleyes: How else does anyone get morals?

Oh yeah, that's right... Especially the RIGHT religion! :jesus: Gotta run, I need to finish plotting the moral demise of the country. :Duivel: Then after that I need to go out to rape, pillage, and plunder. And then I had plans to teach my son to pull the wings off flies. :fdevil: