Goodbye Jesus

Went To A Freethinker's Club On Campus Tonight

pandora

Well, I went to the local campus chapter of The Center for Inquiry at my college tonight. It's a freethinkers' club. It was fun enough... on a campus of some 15,000 (I think) students, there were maybe 15 students there. There was a short talk about what atheism is and then we just hung out. They said they had an event last year where they had someone read an absurd Bible verse out loud on a loud speaker in between classes. Apparently, they made a lot of people mad. My husband was thrilled... he'd probably take over and read them all this year! :HaHa:

I must admit, I think it must have been a group of friends that started the club recently. They all were decked out in goth stuff and I didn't quite fit in, but I can jive with that crowd better than most. I did see a girl that I recognized from the gifted and talented program I was in as a kid. We talked for a bit and it was cool to find out another person from my area is an atheist/agnostic too. I will probably go back just because I know her and I want to get involved in something... the meeting itself was not that exciting. I'm sure it will get better. They just need to plan a bit better. :shrug:

Does anyone else have a freethinker's group on campus? I'm actually curious because the last university I attended did not have one, and I was just getting involved in helping one to get started before I left. This group at my new college is fairly new and very small.

That's cool pandora that your campus has one of those. I wish mine did. There are a few freethinker groups where I live but I haven't joined any of them and none are associated with the college that I know of. I'll have to check the bulletin board tomorrow and see if there any listed.

Does anyone else have a freethinker's group on campus?

Not that I know of, but it sure sounds like a wonderful resource to have.

http://www.campusfreethought.org/affiliates.htm

Hey Eponymic.....looks like there is one at UAA. I didn't know either. Where the heck do they meet? The boiler room?

Considering that my University has 18,500 students and is known for its Engineering, it's quite surprising that there isn't a Freethought club here. I know there are plenty of atheists and agnostics here; I guess most people just aren't really focused on their lack of religion. Maybe I'll get the guts up to start a group before I graduate.

I wish there were places like that at my college, despite my college being a public non-denomintional college all the religious organiations are Christian ones, no freethinker ones.