Goodbye Jesus

Went To Church Last Thursday

velocitychild

So it's been a while since I last stepped foot into a church. My purpose was to return a book I owe one of the pastors called "Flatland" (non religious book, rather good) - at any rate, he said he'd meet me there and instead I ended up attending "ALPHA"

Alpha is for people that have "questions" about Christianity, well sorta. It comes with free food and small movie clips, etc. They sit you down with a "table leader" and what not. It cant get any better than this.

I was pretty angry, so I threw down the gauntlet... I hit them with questions they didnt even think of.

One lady asks me" How do you get through hard times?" and I answered:

"Well, when life gets rough I think its best to be patient and strategic" I then compared it to praying and waiting.. This silenced them.

I then told them "YOu know, if someone has cancer you are going to say it was their time if they Died, and if they survive you're going to say that God cured them, even though they probably survived due to medical tech"

.. There was no rebuttal for that one.

Then of course I talked about how there is no proof the Bible is infallible. They had no answer for that one either.

Well, you can see where this is going.. No answers, and a lot of the time, they were like "wow I never thought that before"

I felt almost like I was opening their minds a bit.. but perhaps it was futile...

At any rate I left feeling dignified. I felt like I had finally stood up to something that has been bothering me for months, and I recommend everyone here who hasn't yet to go ahead and go to a church and hit them with all your questions. Watch as they dont have answers, watch as you see that everything they believe is completely faith based and not based on reality. This was more conformation for me.

Wow... it seems that you took a situation that could be considered a bit of a trap and managed to stay on your toes. I probably would have just handed the pastor the book and ran.

Wow... it seems that you took a situation that could be considered a bit of a trap and managed to stay on your toes. I probably would have just handed the pastor the book and ran.

Yeah a trap indeed.. Christianity is not escapable though, not for me. It's all around me here in Ohio. :phew:

Yeah a trap indeed.. Christianity is not escapable though, not for me. It's all around me here in Ohio. :phew:

Of course it's not escapable, not yet. But at least now you have the truth and some confidence to help you push forward.

Nicely presented questions, VC. It was gratifying just reading about it!

Reminds me of what I did Tuesday in my religious studies class, the look on some of the Christians' faces were priceless, more detail about it is in another thread in this subforum.