Goodbye Jesus

found this mildly amusing

Lunar Shadow

Blind assumptions. Gotta love it.

*goes back to worshipping Satan*

Merlin

Of course God does not overwhelm the unwilling with his presence or force his creation to be in self-conflict when worshiping him.

The oldest excuse in the book - "Why of course god won't show himself if you don't want to see him." Reminds me of Linus' excuse for the Great Pumpkin not appearing in the patch.

The rationalist assertion that God only exists if he is perceived by the subject is surely not how we approach the world. It would be ridiculous to claim that the existence of DNA depends on whether I am convinced of its reality. Though we routinely believe in many things we cannot see or fully understand, atheists have chosen not to believe in God.

Bobby doesn't have his thinking cap on straight. The fact is that DNA can be perceived by me if I want to do the experiments or examine the evidence. And the experiments can be repeated and re-examined with the same conclusions over and over again.

Gods on the other hand cannot be perceived by me no matter how hard I try. That puts them into the same category as the flying pink unicorns that might be living in my bedroom closet.

Same old apologetics. Same old cliches. Same old skewing of science. Same old strawmen. Same old watchmaker. Same old skewing evolution. Same old indicting moral relativity akin to Nazism. Same old unsupported assertions or non-specifics. God is creative and thus supernatural. I am a graphic designer. By that reasoning, I am God.

Unh, funny thing, I thought it was the atheist, according to this article, that asserted themselves as God?

To quote Neil here, what part of atheist do you not understand? If I were to believe I was God, I would just be another theist.

And I love how Bobby defines the "objective scientist." As long as you start a priori that science proves a creator. Oh my, yes atheism is a religion too. (If I a had nickle as the saying goes.)

Same old everything.

Good Grief--I SAID IF! I MEANT WHEN HE COMES!!!

Merlin

Wow. How does the presence of morality, conscience, and free will prove the existence of God?

And this guy talks about assumptions? How HUGE an assumption is the one he makes:

I'm sure there is a creator

Therefore He must be the God of the Bible

And he says: "Science points the honest investigator toward belief in a creative and thus supernatural being"

Uh. Yeah. Right. That's why such an overwhelming percentage of scientists are Christians. :shrug:

Huh. I learn something everyday.

Good Grief--I SAID IF! I MEANT WHEN HE COMES!!!

Merlin

There's hope for Linus after all!

Reminds me of Linus' excuse for the Great Pumpkin not appearing in the patch.
Interesting parallel. As time went on, there was much evidence to indicate that Charles M. Schulz was mildly opposed to religious thinking, or least fundamentalism. He actually expressed hatred for comics, such as Dennis The Menace, in which characters are seen praying.

It's interesting that Schulz would make a joke out of the same faulty logic used by religious thinking.

I need to rant here because I do get so sick of the Christian claiming that the atheist makes himself a god and the center of the universe. Please. We all have an ego, that sense of self who defines who we are, no matter if we are Christian and atheist alike, so it should be of no surprise. This is simply Christian spin and I am damn near sick of their weekly-death of it.

Is it the atheist that has themselves created in a One-true-GOD image? It is us, the atheist, that has God take human form to die for (non-existant) sins?

Well is it?

I need to rant here because I do get so sick of the Christian claiming that the atheist makes himself a god and the center of the universe. Please. We all have an ego, that sense of self who defines who we are, no matter if we are Christian and atheist alike, so it should be of no surprise. This is simply Christian spin and I am damn near sick of their weekly-death of it.

Is it the atheist that has themselves created in a One-true-GOD image? It is us, the atheist, that has God take human form to die for (non-existant) sins?

Well is it?

Every religion is an act of egoism.

To become a Christian, you do it for some reason. You're afraid to go to hell, or you want to go to heaven, or you want to please God... etc

All of it radiates from your inner person and needs: Fear, Greed, Wanting.

So who's the real god in your life when you decide to convert to any kind of religion? Isn't it you that make the decision, because you want it or need it?

So everyones truest and highest god, regardless of religion, is the EGO.

(I didn't rant against you quicksand, I only picked up on your train-of-thought)

I actually had a Catholic accuse me of science being a circular argument this week. :lmao: can you believe that

Every religion is an act of egoism.

To become a Christian, you do it for some reason. You're afraid to go to hell, or you want to go to heaven, or you want to please God... etc

All of it radiates from your inner person and needs: Fear, Greed, Wanting.

So who's the real god in your life when you decide to convert to any kind of religion? Isn't it you that make the decision, because you want it or need it?

So everyones truest and highest god, regardless of religion, is the EGO.

(I didn't rant against you quicksand, I only picked up on your train-of-thought)

Madame M summed this up perfectly in another thread about God as a construct of a reflected-ego in the believers mind, so I am kinda talking on the heels of that. (And there's a great grassroots website out in webland about this tool. I can't find it presently.) I am not denying that our ego isn't involved when we consider what truths in the Universe to subscribe too, it's just that us atheist's aren't running around proclaiming a god takes on all characteristics that are fully human. And we hear it all the time "loving-god", "caring-god", "loyal-god" etc. All genuine human qualities (or those of a dog). (Mercifully for them they leave out all the negatives of course... ha ha.)

Again, we make one least assumption about the universe. We just don't express our ego as denial of our ego by attributing it as the supernatural. Affirmation of the ego, at least by this atheist, is not religious.

(oh and I realise you're not making a contra-rant there)

can you say "propaganda" children?

i love the mind-numbing contradiction in the title.