Goodbye Jesus

#$@& Hackers!

Amethyst

Someone broke into my website this weekend. I think they got in through PHP nuke. I was planning on cancelling my Geocities website anyway to transfer to another cheaper host, so I went ahead and did that. Still really fricking pisses me off though. :vent:

All I had on it was my fanfics and art, so I don't even see why a script kiddie would bother with a small, not-very-often visited site. Needless to say, I will be checking my credit card very closely in case they somehow got my account info.

And there's absolutely no way I'm going to sleep much tonight. Gah!

So, sorry! What a major pain.

You may not just want to check your credit card, you need to go ahead and check everything. You may even want to notify the credit reporting agencies as well just in case. If someone has enough information about you they can open accounts in your name totally messing up your credit.

Good luck.

I checked my other pages in my Geocities account before I deleted it and they were fine. It was just the nuke pages that had been defaced. So I'm thinking they just got into the admin page, which did not have the same password as my main account. But still.

:ugh:

I am planning on switching to a new website host anyway.

• Admin

It doesn't matter where you have your website's hosted, someone is likely to hack into them no matter where they reside.

Believe me, I know.

The joys of website ownership... B)

Ugh, I've had my site hit several times. Stupid script kiddies with nothing better to do. One of them told me he'd fix my security problems if I gave him money and said "If you think this is a joke, your user id is ***** and your password is ******"

Scared me and pissed me off, but a friend of mine found out where the security hole was and fixed it for me.

I keep regular back updates of my site, and my host is excellent when it comes to response on any issues I have. You can't keep 'em out, but you can certainly make it as painless as a couple of mouseclicks to put your site back up.

Ugh, I've had my site hit several times. Stupid script kiddies with nothing better to do. One of them told me he'd fix my security problems if I gave him money and said "If you think this is a joke, your user id is ***** and your password is ******"

Scared me and pissed me off, but a friend of mine found out where the security hole was and fixed it for me.

I keep regular back updates of my site, and my host is excellent when it comes to response on any issues I have. You can't keep 'em out, but you can certainly make it as painless as a couple of mouseclicks to put your site back up.

Oh, I do have backups. Just not very recent.