Goodbye Jesus

I Need Help, My Wife Is Questioning

Mikefight

Your loved one dies in a completely random car accident that nobody could possibly be blamed for. I feel much better knowing the accident happened because of bad luck than knowing the accident could have been prevented by an omnipotent being who could have stepped in, tweaked the circumstances but a tiny bit and saved everyone involved from untimely death, but opted out.

EXACTLY and you don't have to make yourself NUTS thinking, was it because I didn't pray enough, was god mad at me, them, OMG I was thinking how much I hate so and so! etc etc etc.

I have a story that goes with this... once when I was part of a Charismatic Pentecostal church, one of the youth leaders got up during testimony time. She said that she had woken up in the middle of the night thinking about 'Istanbul'. Not the place, just the word. And she thought to herself, 'what a funny word!' and went back to sleep. The next morning she woke up and saw news reports of a deadly earthquake that had struck Istanbul overnight. She was immediately seized by guilt. She said 'What if I had prayed, instead of gone back to sleep? Would God have spared the city?'

psycho.... :fun:

Your loved one dies in a

Correct! Like Holy Fuck! God is punishing me. Why do bad things happen to good people? Billy Joel"s "Only the good die young!"

Guess what "nobody's getting out of this alive!" You could FUCKIN pray till you turn blue and things are going to happen or they are not!

I prayed all my life for greater faith! Guess what? Through my own intuition and intellect I proudly wear the atheist label! So much for praying to the FUCKIN holy spirit! I might as well pray to Casper the ghost! Fuck all religion and the self humiliation they spew!

I'm not exactly comfortable calling myself an atheist but I find I agree with atheists on almost everything that is discussed here. I think my biggest problem is the stigma that has always been attached to the word. I think it's just a matter of time. I guess what I am trying to say is just supporting what others have said. There are many choices between atheist and fundamentalist Christian. If she wants to keep God but cannot make sense of the salvation part of Christianity, she can be a deist. The biggest thing I can "do" is keep my energy to relate to myself rather than trying so hard to connect to an invisible, intangible being. That is the biggest difference for me between deism and atheism.

Another thing I enjoy doing, esp. when I'm walking outside and looking at all the beauty of nature, is imagine this bit of a planet so wonderfully equipped with life--not because a giant in the sky ordered it but because some flip chance of nature happened to result this way. That, to me, seems just plain awsome.