Goodbye Jesus

Tornado Destroys Church In Florida

xild

"It destroyed their church but they still have their faith..."

Is anyone else bothered at all by this? Do you care that not only was the above catch phrase used as a HEADLINE in tonight's Anderson Cooper 360 programming, where it was repeated over and over, but the news lady who was on the scene reporting back to Larry King actually used this same sentence, "They still have their faith," at the end of her NEWS report to Larry about what was going on in Florida after the tornado.

For some reason this is striking an irritable bone in me. I know it's serious news when people are dead, but did anyone expect this to cause the whole church to somehow lose faith?

(Maybe that's why they need the church?)

And should we ask Anderson and Larry to go find the one or two people, probably at the local funeral home right now, who actually did lose their faith? And report on that? Or should we ask FOX (Fair and Balanced)?

Seriously, in the time I had the TV on tonight I would've thought the whole country was living in the Bible belt--we're expected to suspend reality for night because a disaster strikes and listen to our national news reporters go ON and ON about churches and Jesus and faith and this concerns me genuinely. One or two words about it would be fine but it was way overboard tonight.

I'm afraid that when something like another Sept 11 happens again, as it inevitably will, this kind of attitude by the news media just makes it more likely they'll report on what the Religious Right has to say, what they think, what they are concerned about...And who cares? They shouldn't factor in as far as reporting or our political process. They have their churches and entire systems of communication and support for their people. We, unfortunately, rely on the media for objective reporting, or at least we used to. It's little things like this that jump out at me, but I swear these little things have a way of adding up to a big stinking problem for us politically. I never thought I would see things get as far out of hand as they are today, actually, so I have reason to think my little nagging fears are not unfounded. Fundis concern me.

Thank you for your time.

Of course, it makes one wonder where was their egomaniac of a god when a huge structure devoted to kissing his ass was destroyed - by an act of nature, no less. Apparently, God can't be trusted to protect his houses of worship anymore than anything else.

Well, hopefully no one got hurt. That's all that matters to me. Otherwise, another church is reduced to rubble and I smile at its passing. Nothing more than an indoctrination center for a sick-ass cult.

It also calls to mind the church-burnings of the early 90s in Norway. The congregations (already lax in their devotion) expressed a surge in faith because of the destruction of their churches, but after awhile it tapered off and Xianity is no more strong than it was before the arsons. The only ones who would have their faith strengthened are those who are fervent to begin with. Those with lax devotion may only be inspired for a short time, if at all.

I finally did settle down in front of the news and force myself to watch it, and then again this morning and there is not so much on all the programming about churches. I guess everything that was able to be destroyed was, in some parts, and 20 people are dead, but if you would've taken the word of Anderson Cooper 360 program, the fundi church folk still have their faith; does anything else really matter?

Well, we all know that those who are mentally enslaved by religion proclaim signs of god in every event. They take the fact that their church was destroyed by a tornado as not only a "test" of their faith but also as a welcomed opportunity to strengthen their faith. They take the fact that no one in the congregation was hurt as a blessing, a sign of god's love for them.

What about the 20 other Floridians who were killed? "Well, God's ways are mysterious and who are we to question Him?" Or, "maybe they didn't have enough faith." Translation: It's ain't my problem, so don't bother me about it.

I think this is a disgusting and potentially dangerous attitude because it considers victims of such disasters as no more than collateral damage in god's mysterious plan.

Last night, the talking heads were talking about how the good people of that destroyed church are planning on holding services in the parking lot on Sunday. I think it's a safe bet that the first order of business they discuss will be starting a rebuilding fund, into which the congregation will gladly pour their money for the next several months or years.

How about using that money instead to help people who actually lost a family member or a home? Well, that would interfere with god's plan to rebuild their faith by rebuilding the church, don't you know?

Last night, the talking heads were talking about how the good people of that destroyed church are planning on holding services in the parking lot on Sunday. I think it's a safe bet that the first order of business they discuss will be starting a rebuilding fund, into which the congregation will gladly pour their money for the next several months or years.

How about using that money instead to help people who actually lost a family member or a home? Well, that would interfere with god's plan to rebuild their faith by rebuilding the church, don't you know?

This is exactly what I was going to say. It disgusts me to no end.

xild, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who notice it too about the whole 'it won't destroy our faith' crap. I was on another board, and one of the members lived in the Orlando area, and he brought it up too.

"' We're not gonna leave, God will protect us'... ...Stupid-- who do you think is SENDING the tornado?"

Carlos Mencia

I find it hilarious when one of the 6,701,524 central Floridians who DIDN'T die in the storm attributes it to god's having protected them. I guess he was just arbitrarily pissed at the other 19.

I live where this happened. When I lived in Illinois we used something to protect our homes, businesses, and, yes, churches from lightning called "lightning rods." I don't think anyone here knows what they are. It was lightning this storm, on Christmas it was a tornado.

Aerial view of the Florida tornado disaster with underlying rolling caption:

Christian Diety has minor temper tantrum: 20 dead...

...Lady of the Lake Church Pastor: "All is not lost; members still have their faith."...

Jella I am so glad to hear I wasn't the only one who this bothered, really. Thank you.

Dhampir, I think Mencia a genius. When he gets on a roll...

I live where this happened. When I lived in Illinois we used something to protect our homes, businesses, and, yes, churches from lightning called "lightning rods." I don't think anyone here knows what they are. It was lightning this storm, on Christmas it was a tornado.

Taphophilia, you were in that church God destroyed?

Just kidding, I take it you're okay. I think the news media has been too busy reporting on issues of faith, they've not gotten word of the nature of the storm and have been reporting it as a tornado, at least up until all morning as I've been watching. I do know it was dark and people were reporting the sound of a train. Did you experience anything? Now I need to look up lightning storm. What happened?

I know what lightning rods are; they're steel rods meant to attract the lightning to the rod so as not to let anything else get hit. Cities use them all over.

I know what lightning rods are; they're steel rods meant to attract the lightning to the rod so as not to let anything else get hit. Cities use them all over.

I should really watch the news more but I don't watch TV that much. I looked it up in the paper, yep, it was a Tornado, last night? The lightning was the other day and there was a tornado on Christmas day that ripped through an apartment building down the street from me. We've had so many storms here it's hard to keep track, and it's not even hurricane season yet. If it happens to me, it happens, there isn't really anything I can do about it except escape.

Thackerie

I think this is a disgusting and potentially dangerous attitude because it considers victims of such disasters as no more than collateral damage in god's mysterious plan.

It worries me too, when the media lets this stuff slip in like this. Anderson Cooper said last night, about the fact that the church planned on having services anyway, even without the church building, on Sunday, under an open sky, "And oh what a church service that will be!"

What the hell kind of comment is that to make? Did we momentarily slip over into the 500 club programming or something? Will Anderson be taking up requests for love offerings in the form of checks and money orders tonight?

If there is a Bible God, he tried to wipe out a church and Anderson is doing nothing more but promoting it back to good standing.

Oh, and do you notice how the church is holding the service, "under an open sky." How dramatic and how typical. I noticed the pastor asking people to come and bring all their friends, on TV. It's not like there aren't a million other places to hold a church service indoors, safe from lightning and other weather.

I should really watch the news more but I don't watch TV that much. I looked it up in the paper, yep, it was a Tornado, last night?

It was about 3 or 4 in the morning, so it was still dark and most people were in their houses, which was a good thing, actually. I don't blame you for not watching TV. I never put it on during the day. I only have it on in my bedroom, on low, during the day since my cats seem to enjoy the noise if the volume is on very low.

Everon wouldn't the televangelists be saying it was literally God's wrath enacted against them in the form of weather? They would have the audacity to take the terrible event and use it to illustrate their point but when something happens to one of theirs it's all about God's glory. Nothing mentioned about the potential of their own heinous behavior...it really should go both ways and you'd think people would wonder. But they don't.

I think we need a Dateline investigation into this matter.

Thanking the Xian god for sparing their lives whilst he let others perish is like Cthulhu devotees thanking Cthulhu for not eating their souls while he feasts on those of their loved ones.

Sad to see how many people buy into this misanthropic deathcult, even after 2000 years :ugh:

Varokhar can I use that in my sig? Someone should.

My ending note for the day/night. Perfect.

The pastor of that church was on good morning America (ABC) this morning. The church members were beside themselves with glee after finding the pastors bible in tact.

He looked like a carbon copy of Jerry Farwell, both in appearance and in sound. From what I saw this morning they were having a tent service (revival?) He said that America should stay tuned because even he didn't know what his service was going to be on, he was leaving that up to gawd. :loser:

The destruction in that town is horrifying and they played some terrifying clips of people calling for help. One girl called and said she thought her mom was dead her bed was completely gone and her mother was in her bed. It brought tears to my eyes, literally. I can't even begin to imagine the horror and panic.

The fact that these Xtians are finding it a sign from gawd that the bible was found, shows just how out of touch they are with reality they are. I'm sorry for all the lives and property lost, :(