Goodbye Jesus

How To Get "saved"

StewartP

I'm putting together a video for youtube on salvation.

I want to get my facts straight.

Q. In the gospels, does jesus himself say anywhere that asking him to "come into your heart" or "be the ruler of your life" will get you to heaven?

Q. In the gospels, does jesus himself say anywhere that he is going to take on the sins of the world?

I know he said "I am the way, the truth and the life" but his descriptions of what the way is seem contradictory.

I find lots of references to obeying the law as a means of salvation, also giving up all your worldly possessions, and also becoming his disciple. I find stuff about camels and needles, I find stuff about being born again, but what I really want, are specific words of Jesus (not paul or others) that mirror the theology we find in the popular "sinners prayer"

Thanks

Stew

I find lots of references to obeying the law as a means of salvation, also giving up all your worldly possessions, and also becoming his disciple. I find stuff about camels and needles, I find stuff about being born again, but what I really want, are specific words of Jesus (not paul or others) that mirror the theology we find in the popular "sinners prayer"

Thanks

Stew

Not in the gospels, but in Revelation 3.21 Jesus is quoted as saying this: "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me."

This passage often has been depicted like this, a symbol of the door of the heart.

The expression "accept Jesus into your heart" and the Sinner's Prayer seem somewhat silly to me. Maybe I've become too "high church minded" or something (not that I go to church at all), but these just seem contrived, emotional, simple. But, to each his own.

-CC in MA

If you haven't already, check out Ingersoll's How To Be Saved

Mr. Ingersoll and I disagree often, but I give him credit for at least two things: Courage and a mighty pen.

I enjoy reading his work because it's so well written and forcefully (even when, IMO, erroneously) argued.

-CC in MA