Goodbye Jesus

Religion Disdain

garrisonjj

Is it normal to embrace atheism after a lifetime of being a "devout" catholic? I always doubted and my mid life status found me realizing religion has been crap for my whole life. Guilt, insecurity, doubts feelings of worthlessness have haunted me no more!

I now love skipping mass, not praying, cursing freely every fuckin time I wish in the proper company and realizing there is no "big daddy" in the sky watching every move!

Like, how could I have been so stupid wasting time, money and worry over fuckin religion? Did any of you xtians have such a reaction? Thanks for your support.

Like, how could I have been so stupid wasting time, money and worry over fuckin religion? Did any of you xtians have such a reaction? Thanks for your support.

I'm with you on this one.

It would have been worse tho if it had just been me, but lots and lots of folk, and plenty smart too, have also fallen for this nonsense.

Some might say that the disdain and anger are "re-enforcement" mechanisms, to reassure our fragile egos that we have made the right decision, but really, now that I'm outside of that bubble, I look at the stuff I used to believe and the stuff I used to say and I realise what a delusion it all was. Talking donkeys? Whales that swallow people and then spit them out safe and sound days later? Talking snakes with legs? bats are birds? insects have 4 legs? walking on water? WTF?

Is anything normal? Is it normal to be a devout conservative protestant christian most of your life and then turn to agnosticism and atheism in your 30's? Is it normal for your formerly conservative christian wife to reveal that she's bisexual and wants a poly triangle with you and another woman, and become an atheist all in the same year?

WTF is normal? I don't think there's any standard of normal. I like Nivek's philosophy -- "whatever happens, panned out."

Normal is whatever and wherever you happen to be at the moment.

Is it normal to embrace atheism after a lifetime of being a "devout" catholic? I always doubted and my mid life status found me realizing religion has been crap for my whole life. Guilt, insecurity, doubts feelings of worthlessness have haunted me no more!

I now love skipping mass, not praying, cursing freely every fuckin time I wish in the proper company and realizing there is no "big daddy" in the sky watching every move!

It sounds to me like you're just enjoying your freedom, garrisonjj...so enjoy it. Don't berate yourself over the past, that's history and you can't change it. Life in the here and now is what counts.

To answer your question, garrison...

Hell yes, it's normal!

And moreover, it's healthy. After any length of time believing in personally harmful nonsense like that, ditching it all for Atheism is perhaps the sanest and wisest choice anyone can make.

So, don't worry and just be happy. Enjoy your newfound freedom, bash Xianity whenever you find it's helpful for you, and live your life. Don't worry too much about the past or regrets about being suckered in by the deathcult. Most of us were, at one point.

Life is the one, true religion, and enjoying it is its form of worship. Now go practice your religion :)

I don't know about normal, but I just went through the same thing. Check out my testimony. My wife, who is still xtian, thinks I am going through some sort of mid life crisis. I have never felt more free.