Goodbye Jesus

So What Exactly Is A "christian Flag"?

StewartP

This article on CNN describes how a church that was flattened in Florida in the recent tornado.

LADY LAKE, Florida (CNN) -- Under sunny skies, members of the Church of God in Lady Lake, Florida, held their morning worship service Sunday amid the remnants of their destroyed sanctuary, leveled by a pre-dawn tornado on Friday.

"I'd like everybody to take a deep breath, and let everybody who has breath today praise God," said Pastor Larry Lynn.

Apart from the obvious inferences we could draw from god-sent tornados wiping out churches, a sentence in the article intrigued me:
Lynn spoke atop the remains of his sanctuary's pulpit, standing before a large wooden cross that poked from the rubble flanked by U.S. and Christian flags.

(my bold)

the picture in the article shows the cross and the US flag but I'm at a loss as to what is meant by "christian flags"

Can anyone enlighten me?

(ps I found the article thru the ever excellent Skeptico blog )

http://www.flagsinternational.com/Products...istian-Flag.jpg

The christian flag is the one beside this American Flag.

http://colorfastflags.com/pictures/7196_christian.jpg

Here's the type that were in every corner of the christian private school I went to as a kid.

Nice one, thanks, White_Raven

I have NEVER seen those flags before. Must be a USA thing?

regards

Stew

From my experience, only in the 4th reich (fanatical parts of the US) is the jebus cult obsessed with becoming as close to a secular nation (and an army!) as possible, while in most of the rest of the world the believers are happy with being just that... believers. Not politicians, soldiers, inquisitors, executioners or torturers - just believers.

I went to a Pentecostal high school, and here is what we were forced to say every day before classes began:

"I pledge allegiance to the Christian Flag, and to the savior for whom's kingdom it stands. One brotherhood, uniting all true Christians, in service and in love".

Then the US Pledge

Then the damned one to the bible:

"I pledge allegiance to the Bible, God's Holy Word. I will make it a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. I will hide its' Words in my heart that I might not sin against God".

How's that for disgusting?!

I still want to shoot myself in the foot for even KNOWING that crap!

I went to a Pentecostal high school...

I was raised in a holiness Pentecostal home. At church, we had the Christian flag in one corner, the US one in the other -- and for the longest time, the Christian flag was on the speaker's right. We never had to say any pledges, but we did have to sing a song called "I Pledge Allegiance to the Lamb".

I pledge allegiance to the Lamb

With all my strength, with all I am

I will seek to honor his command

I pledge allegiance to the Lamb.

There were verses, but we didn't sing those as kids: just the chorus over and over.

I went to a Pentecostal high school...

I was raised in a holiness Pentecostal home. At church, we had the Christian flag in one corner, the US one in the other -- and for the longest time, the Christian flag was on the speaker's right. We never had to say any pledges, but we did have to sing a song called "I Pledge Allegiance to the Lamb".

I pledge allegiance to the Lamb

With all my strength, with all I am

I will seek to honor his command

I pledge allegiance to the Lamb.

There were verses, but we didn't sing those as kids: just the chorus over and over.

Isn't that song by Ray Boltz or something?

I remember singing that in Church too... I felt pretty weird about it, even at the height of my fundy-ness, just 'cause I'm a Canadian and we don't pledge allegiance to anything up here. ;) We sing the National Anthem and call it good.

(edit) Oh, yeah, I haven't seen any Christian flags up here either, really. Banners, sure... but not Flags like national ones.

I think that most protestant churches display the Christian flag, along with the American flag, in their sanctuary; some fly both of them outside. Only the more conservative, fundamentalist churches say those dorky pledges. I always wondered who designed the Christian flag, and what for, but I never looked it up.

When I became a Christian, I was of the type that thought we should stay separate from government. If we would become too involved with the political process and running things, then I felt the government would end up controlling us. I didn't even vote for most of my years as a Christian. In addition to this, I was against pledging allegiance to anything, as I viewed that as an outward show rather than what was neccessarily what was in someone's heart. This included the so-called pledge to the Bible; I thougth people should worship God, not the Bible. The Christian flag meant nothing to me, other than more outward eye candy. I tolerated the display of the flags in the sanctuary because it was a tradition. However the day came, about three months before I left, when the minister stood up and led everyone in the pledges to the Bible and both flags. I was shocked, and didn't say them. That was one more incentive for me to leave, I thought "Isn't this idolatry?"

I think the whole idea behind symbols and pledges are control of the group. Symbols put an easy image to follow in your head, and pledges are a way of bonding everyone together as a mass. It's also a good way of seeing who is not going along with the herd mentality. This is true not just for churches and the Christian flag, but for nationalism and national flags.

I said the pledge to the Chritsian flag like this:

I pledge alligence to the Christian flag

and to the savior for whose kingdom it stands

one savior, cucified, risen, and coming again

with life and liberty for all who believe.

It basically represents the politicizing of christianity, the christian right. It's for their army, the one they've been forming.

The old red, white and blue eh?

Well,

Drinkin' gives us noses red,

Brawlin' gives us bruises blue,

White hair comes from too much bed,

Hence the national colours true!

Bet they never taught yer THAT in Sunday school, eh?

Casey

Casey, that was brilliant!

The Christian flag kinda looks like the KKK symbol. Scary... Give me the gay pride or an pagan flag over that flag anyday!

I went to a Pentecostal high school, and here is what we were forced to say every day before classes began:

"I pledge allegiance to the Christian Flag, and to the savior for whom's kingdom it stands. One brotherhood, uniting all true Christians, in service and in love".

Then the US Pledge

I had to do two pledges in Lutheran school, one to the American flag and one to the Christian. No Bible pledge, though. I remember ours was "to the Lamb", I think, but it wasn't a rhyme. I can't recall the precise wording.

A few years ago my mother's church did some kind of 100th anniversary party in the downright corniest and 70's-style ugliest banquet hall that can be imagined. (Think a 70's "New Orleans French Quarter" theme....oh God yes.) They had everyone stand up and do pledges to the American flag and a pledge to the cross. I was going to raise a fuss, but then realized that it only had meaning when I myself applied it to it, and besides, there was free cake.

and besides, there was free cake.

Well that just nails it.

I'm with you on this one.

That is such a sweet way to end a paragraph, I might steal it for myself.

Regards

Stew