Goodbye Jesus

The Love of the Bride-Groom

webmdave

• Admin

I'll drop the old testament/old covenant tyrant god talk for a bit and move on into the loving, caring Jesus god of the new testament, so that the context is in the new covenant (the covenant that Jason cares about).

When I was a christian, I was taught and believed that we were to have a love relationship with Jesus Christ, more intimate than that between a husband and a wife, with a stronger bond than that which is between best friends for life. I was taught and believed that no one, not my parents, not my wife, not my children can possibly love me as much as Jesus does. I was taught and believed that Jesus loved when I "spent time with him" and that his heart hurt when I "neglected him." I was told that he felt sad when we forgot to pray, or devote any time to him. It was compared with how a parent feels when their teenagers lose interest in being around them. When friends, shopping, sports is more important than hanging out with dad on a Saturday afternoon. Has anyone here been taught that or believe(d) that?

For there to be an intimate relationship it takes two people to contribute. For example, my wife and I love each other. We communicate with each other, we hold each other when one needs it, we have verbal communication, we are there for each other. I am not invisible to her and she is not invisible to me. I do not have to remind myself to spend time with her, because she is there. If she ever felt neglected by me, she would let me know or vice versa. There are various ways in which we can communicate or love for each other.

I was trying to compare the relationship between person and god to the relationship between husband and wife (minus the sex part... I know you were thinking it you dirty rotten perv). I came to the conclusion that it is far more satisfying to have an intimate relationship with a person.

Imagine my relationship with a woman was like this. She doesn't know me yet. I spot her and I start watching her. I follow her. She is unaware anyone is watching. I start falling in love. I desire to be with her. She has no idea about me yet. Finally, I decide to write my love letter to her to reveal the love I have for her *coughbiblecough*. I write a massive letter but somewhere in all of that, I declare my love and offer it to her. Somewhere in all that the following message can be deciphered:

"I see everything you do. I love you with all my heart. I wish to offer you a relationship with me. You are precious to me. However, if you don't love me back, I will have no choice but to burn you."

Let's say she decided to choose option a. and love me back. No we have a relationship going, uh sort of. I keep myself distant. Distant as in... overseas. I don't like to communicate verbally, nor do I like to be seen by her. In fact, I don't like to communicate at all. I said everything I had to say in my letter, so there's no point in saying anything else. In my letter I happened to mention that it is a stronger love for her to love me while never seeing me, or hearing me, or touching me, then to have me around. I on the other hand, am desperate to hear her voice tell me she loves me and how wonderful she thinks I am. OK, I'm done with the example.

Why is the christian god invisible?

http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2007/02...ride-groom.html

I must say that that was one issue I had a problem with in Christianity.

There was this tradition about the church kinda collectively morphing into the body of a woman upon completion of the Apocalypse, after Jesus had finished the mansion in Heaven he'd been building for thousands of years, and then there would be a celestial wedding between the Lady-Church and Jesus, and then the couple would move into the house together.

The sex part was actually treated kind of like the real sex after a human wedding: Erm, don't let the kids know what happens. Just leave them in the dark and let them think that when we talk about the "wedding night" we mean sleeping off the champagne and cake in seperate beds. Jesus's and the Church's sexual union was never confirmed.......but it was never denied, either.

It's a tradition that doesn't have a lot of circulation these days, just because of how, well, weird it seems to even the Christian brain. It was another invention by Paul that if Jesus had been there to see it, he would have probably given the saint a good slap upside the head and asked him what the hell he was talking about. Nowadays when it does come up it's usually written off as a "metaphor".

Heh - nice post, webmaster.

For a relationship to work, both parties need to be active and give 100%. With Jebus, he doesnt' answer prayers, never shows up to explain himself, and threatens us with punishment if we don't bend over backwards to please him.

No wonder this bullshit about "having a personal relationship with Jebus" doesn't work :jerkit:

"I see everything you do. I love you with all my heart. I wish to offer you a relationship with me. You are precious to me. However, if you don't love me back, I will have no choice but to burn you."

God damn!!! Just reading the overview gave me the frukkin' kweeps!!! :twitch: