Goodbye Jesus

The Many Pleasures Of Ex-c.net

sarahgrace

I have to say, though I have been here a short time I've really come to appreciate this particular corner of the web. A particular thing that I enjoy about this community is seeing an obnoxious new kid come along and start spouting shit, and then seeing half the board give the new kid a good thrashing! It warms my heart. :HaHa: I get such a thrill out of such a concentrated group of very intelligent, reasonable, kind people going to bat for each other and walloping the "enemy" together.

So what about Ex-C has warmed your heart as of late?

This is just a good place. I've been here a long time, but I remember when I first came here. I was a chocolate mess. And this site helped me big.

So, now I kinda like seeing new folks show up here who are all screwed up over religion, and then see them slowly get things sorted out and get their feet on solid ground. Leaving religion is scary stuff. I wonder how anyone could do it without some kind of support.

But, I like messin with holier-than-thou spouters the most. Where else are they going to run into skeptics who know the bible and christian history every bit as well (or even better) than they do? And, they can't even snowball us with the relationship and personal transformation crap. Cause we know that angle too.

You're right, sarah. This is a special place.

Yes this is a nice place, this is where I come to after I have had to deal with the crazy fundy world of either family or aquantinces..

It is nice to know that there are other people like us, who have been through xianity and leaving it.

Did someone say Legion?

I enjoy this place. It strikes me that there is just enough diversity and just enough commonality. It's got a big tent feel to it. And the people here are sharp too. I know that engaging the people here stretches my abilities to communicate.

Also hearing many of the stories greatly magnifies the sense of gratitude in my life. I've not been free of troubles, but my issues pale in comparison to some that I have encountered here. I may not be able to help those here with more than a few words of empathy and support, but they help me greatly by putting my troubles in perspective.

Yeah, I think this is a fine place.

Everything is good about this place :)

It's a place where people from all walks of life can help contribute to the downfall of the single worst thing to ever happen to western civilization, and help others recover from its ill side-effects. It's a great place to get one's start on a more rational path in life, and have fun doing it.

I like this place because it's support for people like me, who have left a damaging cultural meme behind and are trying to find a new way and sort a lot of stuff out.

I think there are still some things that I have a hard time posting about, but it helps to just even lurk and read, even if I can't post. I'm relieved to find that there are people who are just as angry and hurt as I am, not because I want anybody to be angry or hurt, but because it's just a relief to know that I'm not the only one who might be pissed off. Or that I'm not the only one who has questioned the same things or had some of the same problems or issues or whatever. A "solidarity in numbers" kind of thing.

Plus I actually learn a lot here about intelligent debate. I'm not terribly good at debate myself and am not an exceptionally logical person, so I find it helpful to read and sometimes even argue a bit.

Plus this is a small corner of sanity in a culture dominated by Xians. That helps tremendously. I don't know why. Maybe it's just like a place of refuge or something.

Plus it gives me some sanity when I'm up awake worrying about everything on the planet in the middle of the night and can't sleep. Plus people here are cool - cooler and kinder and more decent human beings than too many Xians I've known.

Heh, and I just changed over to the mocha bean skin and I like it. :P

This place is a sanctuary. I don't personally know of any other place where one can say the things said here without being attacked as though by a nest of hornets. I like the primary mission of this place: help/support for other ex-christians in recovery. I like seeing people employ Reason here in the face of societal taboos. I like seeing people helped.

I like the opportunity of hopefully having helped or inspired someone somewhere along the line with something I may have posted: I consider it a type of atonement for my days as an evangelical. I like having been exposed to the ideas expressed here, including stuff I had never thought of myself.

And I must confess, though I originally didn't see my self responding to any of the xian visitors here, I enjoyed my limited foray into the lion's den. It was cathartic to have the chance to express something I'd simply hold my tongue on in real life. I like that I have the opportunity to take a stand and argue for reason against outspoken delusionals if I wish.

I like this place and how it helped me get around the mind tricks Evangelists play on people in church and I was new to Ex-Christianity when I started posting here. This place has been a good place to me and it's good to see new members who were just like me in the beginning.

For me, this site is a place to come for support, or a good laugh. I have to admit, some of the stories that I've heard about what fundys do are pretty funny. It's nice to be able to share a few good laughs about them. It makes it that much easier to deal with them.

I personally like hearing about other people's issues with the fundys and how they are coping. There have been some good ideas put out there that have been helpful to me. But it's nice to be able to get back my critical thinking skills. 10 years in delusion has warped my ability to see reality.

I really appreicate the support and e-friends that I have made here. You guys are awesome! I really feel a lot better after talking to you guys. :D

I come here to remember that I'm not crazy, that there are many other people who left christianity for some of the exact same reasons I did. It's uncanny how many of the arguments make so much sense... we don't need to twist our minds to see how naturalism is a much stronger explanation for the universe than monotheism.

Or is it that great minds truly think alike? In that case, I'm happy for a forum of intelligent people!

Yeah, this place has become a bit of a haven for me. I don't have many non-christian friends, and being around christians all the time does my head in a bit, even if most of them aren't ridiculous fundies. It's nice to come here after a long day of dealing with the xianspeak and read some reasonable talk. ;)

so again, thanks everyone for making this forum what it is! it has so far been an invaluable resource in my journey out of christianity, and i'm sure it will continue to be so.

I come here to read and learn. I have found books to read, sites to visit, and to realize that what I've felt for so long is not strange or way out there. I want to be able to get my point across to xtians with logical reasoning supported by fact. I don't always feel comfortable posting, but lurking does help me see how others handle similar situations.

I've spent about two years now being real pissed off, and hating religion. I've never hated in my life, and generally get over things in short order, but I don't think I'll ever get over the digust I have with relgion. This site is helping me cope, and gain confidence in myself in knowing that while I'll always have to deal with the 'god bless' and ' thank god' mentality, that there are those that find it to be as big a load of crap as I do.

Watching folks here debate xtians to me is a bowl of popcorn and can of mountain dew event. :grin:

Thank you

Chris

It was a wonderful thing for me to find this place while I was navigating my departure from Christianity. It is, for me, a place of sanity and sanctuary while trying to rebuild my life around reality rather than fantasy.

I don’t get to post as much as I’d like (it’s busy work trying to make a living when you’re education and training was for the pastorate and you can’t do that anymore), but even just coming in here and lurking for a while is restful and gives me a much needed boost.

Everyone in here is so different, so interesting, and we all (or most of us) share the commonality of having left the empty waste of christianity. The intelligence and depth of the people, as well as the cutting humor, are something special. I value everyone who posts in here, and treasure this site.

I don't think I could have said it better myself if I had tried.

I come here because it helps me to escape into a world where difference is not only accepted but appreciated. Plus, it helped me with my transition into athiesm. The site exposed me to different non religious authors, websites, and etc. Had it not been for exc.net(and months of therapy, haha)I would not have made it to this point in my life. Happily religious free...

Plus, I love to see the Christian bashing. Not ashamed to admit it, I love to see christianity throttled.

I found this site right when I was guaranteed atheist and all that good stuff. However I lurked and read a lot of threads for a long time and saw good conversations. I finally realized what I was dealing with and I wanted to become a part of the community. This website is an example of the reality of Christianity. Deconversion stories that are never heard of in church, I never heard of anyone actually leaving Christianity that proves how much I was brainwashed. I like the mod team and the admin, some exchristian/ atheist websites (not mentioning any names) are vary informative but it lacks the right people and the mods are jerks to everyone. I like this forum a lot and has realived a lot of stress and I have learned so much and plan to learn more.

The reason I started visiting Dave's site to begin with was that he was the most intelligent and kind person. Not that we communicated, but the site was 'outrageous' to me. I was born into and raised in the Christian perspective and had basically no clue of how to think in any other direction.

Now I enjoy all the debate. I am not good at debate because I am too emotional. However, I like to read the forums.

Today I am wondering about that little girl who began painting as a much smaller child, 4 or 5 I think, who was on TV this past week. I also got an e-mail from a transsexual pastor friend, (that make's me smile a great deal). Anyway, the little girl who paints was born into an atheist home, she actually converted her family from atheism to believing in a god. Not sure if it's Christianity or not. But one of the little girl's pictures resembles a typical picture of Jesus.

Do any of you know who/what I am referring to? Has there been a discussion about her on the board?

I like this site because it feels like home. I post big time all over the forums and hardly ever get bashed. That means the world to me--being allowed to express myself without getting bashed. Also, it's great being part of the "in" group that can attack others rather than being the solitary figure who is always "the other." The really wonderful thing is that for a change I don't have to tweak my convictions in order to be with the "in" group :dumbo:

Seems this is a thread where shy people feel free to speak so I will let them have the floor.

I have to say, though I have been here a short time I've really come to appreciate this particular corner of the web. A particular thing that I enjoy about this community is seeing an obnoxious new kid come along and start spouting ####, and then seeing half the board give the new kid a good thrashing! It warms my heart. :HaHa: I get such a thrill out of such a concentrated group of very intelligent, reasonable, kind people going to bat for each other and walloping the "enemy" together.

So what about Ex-C has warmed your heart as of late?

I dunno, I think I just enjoy the wide variety of topics and posts and also the fact that I can relate to people here that have been where I've been. I get a bit fed up with Christians coming on here at times, but I guess it can be good fun taking the piss out of them.

Truly it is a pleasure here. I originally came in not so much for need of support, because I had been an ex-christian already for decades. I thought I might perhaps have something to offer to those who are recently out of xianity.

I'm not among the heaviest of posters, I'm a quiet person who doesn't always have something to say. But I'm on here, reading the posts almost every day.

I love to read these threads, especially when hapless fundies come here only to be shredded and sent packing, unable to come up with any rational defense for their belief system. There are members here who have studied such matters with obvious devotion, and can argue them down with eloquence.

It's really fascinating, how even as a long time ex-xian I've still learned so much here.

Truly it is a pleasure here. I originally came in not so much for need of support, because I had been an ex-christian already for decades. I thought I might perhaps have something to offer to those who are recently out of xianity.

I'm not among the heaviest of posters, I'm a quiet person who doesn't always have something to say. But I'm on here, reading the posts almost every day.

I love to read these threads, especially when hapless fundies come here only to be shredded and sent packing, unable to come up with any rational defense for their belief system. There are members here who have studied such matters with obvious devotion, and can argue them down with eloquence.

It's really fascinating, how even as a long time ex-xian I've still learned so much here.

Piprus, I find this post especially encouraging. Hearing from an old-timer that we're doing fine with the fundies--well, it feels good. I just love that image of shredded fundies sent packing...tail tucked in, red-faced and looking where to hide--where's that cleft in the rock of ages when they need it most??? At least in one place on earth we are picking away at the age-old foundation of the church.

While a good old fashioned fundie fry is a fun time, not the best thing here by far. I personally like the people here and that we are willing to help eachother out (even if we can only through some posts and an avatar), through not only ex-C issues, but with life.

I came looking for someone like me, someone who broke free, and I was well deconverted before I arrived as well, but it is nice helping others sort stuff out and in doing so resolve some lingering issues I had and have. An arrow is easy to break, but a bundle holds strong.