Goodbye Jesus

I'm A Friggin Moron

Biggles7268

I decided to do a format and reinstall on my pc today, got it all done with no problems, xp installed again but I can't get it to show my lan ports or pick up my modem. then i realise that my motherboard driver disk is missing along with several other things ( I can find the driver disks for shit i threw away years ago but not my current stuff). Thankfully I had a bootable cd for Ubuntu that will let you run the OS off the disk. Funny how an OS operating off a cd will find my modem and let me online with no problem, but not windows friggin xp pro. I'm sure theres a very basic thing I forgot to do to get everything working in windows and I'll eventually figure it out, but it's a damn pain in the ass when the shit should work without having to do anything. blah

oh you have got to be fucking kidding me. now this piece of shit software is telling me that i can't use my key anymore and i have to buy a new one. I already bought the fucking software assholes. even putting in a support ticket they want me to pay $60, this is fucking bullshit. what's a good linux distor for newbies?

a friend of mine has me downloading xubuntu right now, i'll give that a try and see if i like it

ok i've got xbuntu installed for the amd64 architecture thingy. it runs and that's about all i can say, tried to install the flashplayer plugin first, but can't because a: i don't know how this shit works and b: i can only find it for i86 version. i also can't get a resolution higher than 800x600 or get it to recognise that i'm using a widescreen tv instead of a regular monitor.

Note: M$ - is complicated.

Linux - is complicated.

M$ - lies in your face about everything being ludicrously easy.

(Well, they are right about "ludicrous"...)

Linux - is open about the brainwork you'll have to do.

Darn it Big, I was about to suggest you get yourself a SuSE distro - I could have offered help for that one. But what you use now is new territory for me too. :scratch:

(I know some ways to make things work even without nifty tools, but try and explain these things to a total Linux n00b... *remembers his own beginnings with Linux* )

Which Linux?

Ubuntu is pretty good but I think the Redhat Fedora got a bit better installation process, since it's been around for a bit longer. Sun Solaris is also free for download (after registration) nowdays, but I'm not sure how well it recognize hardware.

Like Thur said, all OS are complicated today because of all the stuff that goes into it.

Biggles, what kind of HW do you have? Is it a BYO or a brandname?

Darn it Big, I was about to suggest you get yourself a SuSE distro - I could have offered help for that one. But what you use now is new territory for me too.

hehe i was led to believe that this one had an easier learning curve than some of the other distro's.

i'm running an athlon 64 4000+ with 1 gig of ram on an asus a8n 32 sli deluxe mobo, with 2 geforece 6800 video cards. there's another question, can linux run two video cards in a sli configuration? lol

Darn it Big, I was about to suggest you get yourself a SuSE distro - I could have offered help for that one. But what you use now is new territory for me too.

hehe i was led to believe that this one had an easier learning curve than some of the other distro's.

i'm running an athlon 64 4000+ with 1 gig of ram on an asus a8n 32 sli deluxe mobo, with 2 geforece 6800 video cards. there's another question, can linux run two video cards in a sli configuration? lol

When activating it and it tells you the key won't work, it gives you a 1-800 number to activate it. Call the number, tell it all the numbers and eventually you'll get a microsoft guy on the phone and he'll give you a code to get it working again.

Wish I could help you. But I run a 0SX and glad to be away from the pc world.

already solved that issue, thanks though Han

When activating it and it tells you the key won't work, it gives you a 1-800 number to activate it. Call the number, tell it all the numbers and eventually you'll get a microsoft guy on the phone and he'll give you a code to get it working again.

i don't have a phone and i'm still a bit pissed that they want $60 upfront for email support

right now i'm trying to figure out how the hell to get my vid card drivers installed in linux, this is a bitch

I've used Linux but couldn't get it to work with my modem, so I had a dual boot.

If I ever switch from Microsucks, I will probably go with the Mac OS. I do a lot of art stuff and web design and Macs are good for that.

Ok I've got Ubuntu up and running, it took some doing but i finally have my video drivers installed. it even seems to be running both cards, although i don't know how to check. managed to get my ntfs file system drive mounted so i can access and copy over my files. :)

now i just need to get flash running which is turning into a pain in the ass. adobe only has the 32bit version out and i'm running amd64 of course :)

other than the that i totally love linux, it's much better than windows.

Welcome to the club, please join our campfire :fdevil:

tux_demon_camping_burning_windows.jpg

Ubuntu baby.

I'm using it as I type. My wife uses it and loves it. It just works.

To install Flash and just about every other useful plugin and tool you can possibly use, use the Syanptic Package Manager under System --> Administration.

Do a search for flash and install the Mozilla Flash mozplug.

You may want to add the Universe packages under Settings --> Repositories.

And you can always go to linuxforums.org or ubuntuforums.org for help. All the help you'll ever need is there. Ubuntu kicks ass. Way better than XP.

Good luck.

the problem is i'm on the x64 distro, flash no workie :)

i've been trying to follow the instructions here...

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php...nspluginwrapper

i'm stuck on converting one of the .rpm's into a .deb the file is sitting on my desktop but when i run the command it doesn't find it. i think i set up something wrong also because every folder in the file system tree is locked to me so i can't move the libflashplayer.so into the correct folder. it won't work under the terminal either, same error, can't find the file even though it's on the desktop.

pain in the ass lol

Hmmm. I don't use the 64 bit distro so I don't have to deal with it. I remember having to go through similar steps to get flash to work in Fedora though.

Check your permissions. Type 'sudo chmod +x /directorywherelibflashplayeris/libflashplayer.so'

Also try sudo chmod 777 /directorywherelibflashplayeris

If your permissions are not set right, it won't work at all. Your sudo superuser password is the same as the password you use to log in.

allright i got it working now :)

i didn't try your idea Celt Cat because i have no idea what you said lol. I was having that problem because i didn't have the right directory set in the terminal. it worked fine once i figured that out :)

like the title says i'm a friggin moron lol

now i just need to figure out how to get my ntfs drive to stay mounted, last time i rebooted i couldn't get it back. solved that by switching the sata cable to another port and remounting lol

The next time that you start a thread, could you try to include some information in the main title that we don't already know? :shrug:

:mellow:

:HaHa:

some of the people on here haven't known me as long as you have Fwee. so i thought i should inform some of the newer members. :)

fucking ratface :)