Goodbye Jesus

The Heart Of A Child

Lucas Foxx

It is Saturday, February 10, 2007, and my children are playing outside. It finally warmed up to freezing here. I have two daughters -- the oldest, Morgan, is 8 and the youngest, Melena, is 5. I love them both, but the youngest has big medicine with me. I am completely in love and have long since given up trying to hide it. I think she figured this out last year sometime, because the situation has worsened. Everyday, she shines on every person she meets and they shine back. We call her "Sunshine" -- she is a special little person.

Today she made me look inside myself, as she does so often. I thought I would like to share this one with all of you -- my friends. She and Morgan were playing outside while I messed around in my office that overlooks the back yard. I saw them coming my way at a full gallop. Melena obviously had something in her hand to show me, and she looked distressed, as only she can look. Thank God she had her mittens on -- It was a dead, frozen mouse.

She burst into my office declaring that Tipper, the dog, had killed this poor mouse and she wanted permission to bury it in the yard. I laughed a little but quickly stifled the chuckle upon realizing the seriousness of the demise of this mouse, in her mind. I told her she could bury it inside the fence to the garden. Off she blasted with her sister in tow and mouse in hand to the garden.

Ten minutes passed, and here they came again -- full bore. This time they produced a blank piece of paper and a stick. Melena asked that I write something "special" on the paper and tape it to the stick so she could "put it in the dirt next to the mouse." Did I mention that they had given the mouse a name by now? -- Rapunzel. I obliged as follows: "RIP Here lies the body of Rapunzel the mouse." I taped it to the stick and away they flew once more. I thought that was the end of it, but no.

Here they came again. Melena took me by the hand and ask if I would come and pray with them at the grave. Of course, I couldn't say no. We made it to the fresh dig, and I noticed that not only had they buried Rapunzel and put a marker out for her -- they had also built a barrier of broken twigs around the grave to ward off intruders. Great care had been taken in the burial. We took hands and knelt beside the grave. Melena asked if she could lead the prayer. Morgan and I agreed, and in her tiny little voice, she offered these words with great care:

"Mouse, I am sorry you died.

We made you a bed.

I hope you are comfortable.

Amen"

Now folks, I am not a mouse lover. I have trapped hundreds and never given it a second thought. Therefore, what I have to tell you is a bit embarrassing but nevertheless true. I suddenly felt some kind of compassion for Rapunzel lying there dead. I looked down into the green eyed, blond haired, 5-year-old face of my baby girl and saw her pure heart. I felt a bit ashamed of myself for having grown old and callused -- for having allowed the life and death I had witnessed through the years to sear my heart. I wanted to be like her. For a flash of a moment, I lost myself in remembrance and felt five again. It felt good. Melena has taught me many lessons. This is the one she taught me today.

Okay I'm going to risk ticking you off Lucas, and maybe others I dunno. Eh, it's what happens with coyote people if we have something to show others we tend to stick our foot in our mouths while doing so. You, in my humble opinion are missing a lesson from those girls and the big medicine. Melena shines, my word I would not take away from that. I have two girls of my own I know what a 5 year old can do to your heart.

My kids are 19, 14 (15 in just 7 days) and 10. The youngest and the oldest are girls, and both, for different reasons are hard to miss. We call my youngest our star, she just is, she glows, and twinkles from the inside. My eldest also is just a person, that even when she would perfer they not, people notice. My son is quiet, he's calm, he can blend in with the background unfortunatly. My son has had so many lessons for me to learn, that could have been missed while he was quietly sitting back, supporting and watching his sisters. There was a talent show during xmas, and true to herself my baby was the star, now she wasn't officially, but at the erhearsal, and duringthe show she was just so... that quailty that peopel notice. Then my son started to play, he plays trumpet, and two other young men had played before him, one sax, one trumpet, niether could play well, they didn't play awful, but not well either, then this quiet kid in the hat gets up, and plays, and when he was done it was just quiet. That's his strength, the quiet. :shrug: Really odd strength for a jazz muscian, but that's my man cub.

I'm just saying, and I hope I'm not over stepping, that Morgan may really be your big lesson.

Purple, thank you for the response. I do understand what you are saying. I struggled with my emotions or the differences in them for a couple of years before realizing there was nothing I could do about them, and making an issue of it with myself only made matters worse. I look forward to all the lessons I am sure I will learn from them both. Thank you again.

That was a cool post, Lucas.

You're a wonderful writer. It's awfully easy to get jaded after living life for awhile, is it not? Nice to return to innocence and a pure heart on occasion.

That was a cool post, Lucas.

You're a wonderful writer. It's awfully easy to get jaded after living life for awhile, is it not? Nice to return to innocence and a pure heart on occasion.

I couldn't have said it better myself. That was very beautiful.

It's awfully easy to get jaded after living life for awhile, is it not? Nice to return to innocence and a pure heart on occasion.

It is so easy indeed Mythra. Thank you for reading. I am glad you enjoyed it.

That was very beautiful.

Thank you Yaoi.

That was hearwarming Lucas. To be as a child again is something that, I think, we all could use.

That was hearwarming Lucas. To be as a child again is something that, I think, we all could use.

I'm glad you enjoyed it NBBTB.