Goodbye Jesus

Why Do Christians...

Ahh!

... ask why you left then get offended at your answer? Seriously! I've been asked like 5 times why I left Christianity and it always ends horribly. Do they think I just left their religion for the fun of it? Are they just looking for a fight? What's wrong with them? If I left Christianity its BECAUSE IT SUCKS! IF I DON'T LIKE IT AND YOU DON'T LIKE IT WHEN SOMEONE DOESN'T LIKE YOUR RELIGION, THEN WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ASKING ME WHY I DON'T LIKE IT?

Because they're asshats?

No, seriously, though... I have a sneaking suspicion that they do that in order to bolster their own faith. The question might come from a sense of curiosity, but that curiosity can be driven by all sorts of things, and rarely is it driven by a doubt the Xian has in their mind about their beliefs.

I think it's usually driven by an urge to re-evangelize apostates and get them back into the fold. They're probably thinking that if they ask you about why you left, you'll give them some reasons that they can then refute, and thus lead you triumphantly back into Xianity again - thus putting another notch in their evangelism belt, and also demonstrating to themselves that their religion is obviously The Right Thing To Believe™.

If you give them answers they don't like or can't refute, then you've stumped them, and if they want to keep believing that they have all the Right Answers™, then they have to assume that you're somehow in the wrong. Or, alternatively, if they don't like your answers, it's because you've come too close to a truth about their religion that they themselves don't have the courage to face yet, for whatever reason.

Keep in mind, though, that there are probably other reasons why they do this. Human nature, for one thing. Human stupidity, for another. (Nobody should ask a question if they're going to complain about the answer, but people do it all the time, religious or not.) I am simply very, very paranoid when it comes to dealing with Xians, because of my own life experiences. I tend to treat them with suspicion and assign the worst motives to them until proven otherwise. Not the best habit, but there it is.

... ask why you left then get offended at your answer?....

They are trying to prevent a fight - within themselves. If they accept your answer then they have to question their own reasons for believing.

Their Sunday morning pablum has taught them that everyone is "searching" for an answer, trying to "fill a god-shaped hole." And so, they're expecting to hear some confused words of "searching" from you, which they can summarily answer with a platitude, and then you'll repent your evil ways. It has not likely ever dawned on most of them that you might have a REAL reason. You've completely thrown them for a loop!

... ask why you left then get offended at your answer? Seriously! I've been asked like 5 times why I left Christianity and it always ends horribly. Do they think

No.

They are zombies. They expect you to answer with "Oh wow, really?! What do I have to do to get saved?!!!" (or other cookie-cutter braindead phrases, depending on situation) like their chicken tracts say you will do. If you speak with the voice of reason instead, you break their rules and are thus guilty.

Insane, yes. But sadly true.

The reason they ask you why you deconverted and then bitch at you saying shit like "that's not a good reason" or "that's not what Xianity is about." is because they don't care why you deconverted. They just want to bitch at you for deconverting and asking why is just a prelude to that.

Indeed.

Seriously, they don't care about you. All they care about is their own fragile faith. Having been brainwashed into believing that their truth is so obvious that nobody could possibly give it up, only to have someone like you come along and give some rational reasons why you did, to which they in turn have no rational response, the cognitive dissonance in their heads becomes unbearable. So they have to attack you. It's the only option they have.

You could entertain yourself with this knowledge. In a sense, you have no obligation to answer their questions, so you could just tell them that you're not going to reveal your reasons because they wouldn't understand. I don't know what would offend them more, the reasons for you leaving or the fact that you wouldn't give in to their demands and tell them why.

Christians are so aloof. They walk around in a self-conceived and self-perpetuating charade. Anything that threatens to topple the foundation of that charade is taken as an affront to their core, fundamental beliefs. If they question your lack of faith, they do it in hopes that the question will meet with a satisfactory response on their part and will bolster their faith. When an appropriate response isn't received (which is often the case with most intelligent, free-thinking exes), they become defensive and defiant. I don't know that I can rationalize their actions. Christians as a whole are far too emotional and not nearly pragmatic enough. If they would step outside their comfort zone and actually put some thought into their belief system, they would see how flawed it is and how it fails them on a daily basis.

Growing up, I realized these errors in judgment from a very early age. I felt like I was an outsider when I attended services as a child and, when I returned home from services, felt like I was being raised by aliens in some sort of an alternate reality. Christians do a great job of subjecting their children to fear and self-deprication all in the name of a higher power who, purportedly, will come back one day and take his children home. What a flimsy defense for proactive and sustained child abuse.

No.

They are zombies.

Alas...if only it were legal to go around severing their brains so they can't try and eat ours.