Goodbye Jesus

Ha Ha Ha!

Rhia

So as I'm typing this, I'm sitting in Scottish lit class. My poor professor is trying to explain Calvinism to the class in the context to how it related to "The Private Memoirs & Confessions of a Justified Sinner" (Hogg). Everyone's just blankly staring at him (this is an evangelical school), so he asks if anyone can give a run-down of Calvanism for the class- and in the end, who ends up answerring? The atheist. Moi.

Even then, after explaining to them what double-predestination is (I was a pente in my day, and can still explain it) they were still staring at he and I with stupid dumbfounded looks on their faces.

It makes me wondering whether or not Christians should be allowed to attend University, if they're refusing to do the research needed to understand the world around them on the pretenses of "we're Christians- we don't need to 'know' the world, we're separate of it!" (Referencing romans)

Still, I find it funny that in the end, it was the Atheist who was looked upon to give the answer on a religious question.

Any other similar experiences?

You Silly, Christians don't need research. They have the Holy Ghost to make things up as needed.

Very true, and their Holy-Ghost study methods are just another reason why Universities should be rejecting them. Who knows when they may get a burst of Holy Spirit mind-power and be able to get 75% of the answers right on their final after pulling an all-nighter to play Left Behind.

I'm not a Christian, but I know more about Christianity -- it's history, it's doctrines, it's denominations, practices, personalities past and present, etc. -- than 99% of Christians I have ever met. I think this is pretty standard amongst non-Christian people living in a community where most others are Christian. In order to reject Christianity, you must know something about it, but in order to accept it, you need to know next to nothing.

Onced you're sav-ed ya why learn anything? Ye got yer ticket t'salvation. What else is there? This life don't really matter, it's all about sucking up for the NEXT life. That's the one with the perks.

And the world has only existed for about 6000 years....and the world will end soon....so what use is learning history?

I've seen that quite a bit here at my school.

The professor could be standing in front of us screaming that demons and witches are all around us, and that Jesus is more powerful (a class I recently had, and what was actually said) and the class would sit there, nod, agree, and clap at the end, glad that he was able to show them a side of "spiritual warfare" that they weren't aware of.

It's sick.

I've seen that quite a bit here at my school.

The professor could be standing in front of us screaming that demons and witches are all around us, and that Jesus is more powerful (a class I recently had, and what was actually said) and the class would sit there, nod, agree, and clap at the end, glad that he was able to show them a side of "spiritual warfare" that they weren't aware of.

It's sick.

These are probably the same scary people that think movies like The Omen, The Exorcist, Constantine, & End of Days are based on fact.

You can only believe fully, if you choose to live in ignorance.

These are probably the same scary people that think movies like The Omen, The Exorcist, Constantine, & End of Days are based on fact.

The (original) Omen scared the shit outta me and the (original) The Amityville Horror did likewise because I DID believe that they were based on fact and this kind of stuff can and did happen (or would happen in The Omen's case). :eek::twitch:

Now when I'm alone somewhere and hear a strange noise I'm not worried that the invisible minions of darkness are out to get me...I just think it's a crazed ax murderer like any reasonable person. :HaHa:

mwc

Not surprised at all. All you have to do is go to the Lion's Den and see

how ignorant Xtians are of their own religion.

Onced you're sav-ed ya why learn anything? Ye got yer ticket t'salvation. What else is there? This life don't really matter, it's all about sucking up for the NEXT life. That's the one with the perks.

Yeah, that's what happened with some christians who decided to debate me in Geometry. I told them that school was not the appropriate place for the discussion and that they needed to do there assignment (I was working on my while debating :wicked:) and then one guy say "Jesus is more important than anything, even education."

It's people like those aforementioned that make me want to rip out my hair and scream.

Now when I'm alone somewhere and hear a strange noise I'm not worried that the invisible minions of darkness are out to get me...I just think it's a crazed ax murderer like any reasonable person. :HaHa:
When that happens to me, I just think that it's Barney playin' hide'n go seeky peeky wiff me. :wub:

:HaHa:

I get into some fantastic discussions with right wing, conservative Christians here at work. One woman in particular is convinced that since I don't believe in a higher power and that I think organized religion is a complete scam I am a "pagan".

I relish every opportunity I get to prove her doctrinally and philosphically wrong. She's an absolute idiot who just nods her head along with the rest.

She's such a "great Christian woman" who pities me and my godless life yet she goes against every teaching of the bible. Isn't it more honest for someone like myself to not claim Christ rather than to claim his name? She is the exact kind that gives all Christians a bad name.

I'd debate that Christianity itself is a bad name, even without the stupid right-wingers; it's the people who just emphasize that for the rest of us.

Look at the assholes from Way of the Master, YWAM, Focus on the Family, etc.- None of them give Christianity a good name. Hell, they barely give being human a good name.

None of them give Christianity a good name. Hell, they barely give being human a good name.

Ain't that the truth.