Goodbye Jesus

School Prayer

Ahh!

Matthew 6:5-6: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...."

Idiots

They can't even follow their own holy book right. If you asked them about school prayer and this verse, they'd come up with some excuse.

They can't even follow their own holy book right. If you asked them about school prayer and this verse, they'd come up with some excuse.

And that would likely be that compulsory prayer makes better behavior, which of course is nonsense.

Just one of those many Jebus-teachings that the xians ignore when it suits their purposes.

School Prayer = Free Advertising

That's what drives those who push for it, nothing more.

Yeah - Jesus told his followers not to pray in public. He also told them to never take oaths. Also told them to do good to those who despise them.

People don't live according to their religion. They twist their religion to reinforce what they've already decided that they believe.

That's no surprise, is it? After all, no one can follow the jebus cult's commandments. With all those contradictory verses in da wholly babble, whenever you heed one verse you break another. :lmao:

Matthew 6:5-6: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...."

Idiots

Isn't that what Christians are doing when they pray over their food in restaurants? It's quite obvious they're doing it to be noticed by the other patrons in those places.

Compare that with the habit of most of my Asatruar fellows... when we do anything noticable at all in public, it's commonly not more than a discreet sign of the hammer over your food. A small gesture with a couple of fingers. If you don't happen to look at the person that very moment, you won't notice anything.

(And personally, I'd both feel dumb if I did more in a restaurant or similar, and I don't think there's any use in it...)

Talk about who's humble here... yup, the ones who aren't even called to be. Once again, the jebus cult loses big time :HaHa:

no you guys read it wrong....here is an example...two men goes to church..one guy sits way way at the front and one guy is humble so he stays way way at the back...the lord hears the guy in the back because he does not need to show the world that he is praying and plus the lord is not deaf.

and because of this, if you ever remember going to church early, observe how people tend to sit way at the back instead of going way at the front. This is a no brainer because the people sitting at the back can't wait till the pastor turns around so they can sneak out early or they just love to talk and hopes that distance will be far enough so the pastor will not hear them.

interpretation of the bible, to human is error.

no you guys read it wrong....here is an example...two men goes to church..one guy sits way way at the front and one guy is humble so he stays way way at the back...the lord hears the guy in the back because he does not need to show the world that he is praying and plus the lord is not deaf.

and because of this, if you ever remember going to church early, observe how people tend to sit way at the back instead of going way at the front. This is a no brainer because the people sitting at the back can't wait till the pastor turns around so they can sneak out early or they just love to talk and hopes that distance will be far enough so the pastor will not hear them.

So... if they sit at the front, they're not humble and God's not gonna be happy with them... but if they sit at the back, they're gonna sneak out or chatter all the way through the service, so they're pretty piss-poor Christians and God's not gonna be too happy.

Congratulations... you've just argued that all church-goers are gonna be rejected by God.

Ever thought that your interpretation might just be in error?

Maybe they're sitting up front because they either can't hear or see very well. Maybe the one's sitting at back are doing so because they don't like the deaf and blind people who sit up front very much because they're always asking them, "What did he say? Who's that up there".

So what does this have to do with the school prayer issue?

Compare that with the habit of most of my Asatruar fellows... when we do anything noticable at all in public, it's commonly not more than a discreet sign of the hammer over your food. A small gesture with a couple of fingers. If you don't happen to look at the person that very moment, you won't notice anything.

(And personally, I'd both feel dumb if I did more in a restaurant or similar, and I don't think there's any use in it...)

Not meaning to derail this thread any further (Shaman is doing a good enough job of that), but I have a question for Thurisaz: what does making the sign of the hammer over your food mean? Is it roughly the equivalent of blessing your food? If you did it in front of me, I probably wouldn't know it, because I don't even know what the sign of the hammer looks like.

...what does making the sign of the hammer over your food mean? Is it roughly the equivalent of blessing your food?

Pretty much that...

...though I now realize I neglected to clarify that I commonly don't bless the food but good drink... :fdevil:

If you did it in front of me, I probably wouldn't know it, because I don't even know what the sign of the hammer looks like.

Just imagine a "T" upside-down.

People keep seeing a cross, or at best a "satanic" cross in it :lmao:

So... if they sit at the front, they're not humble and God's not gonna be happy with them... but if they sit at the back, they're gonna sneak out or chatter all the way through the service, so they're pretty piss-poor Christians and God's not gonna be too happy.

Congratulations... you've just argued that all church-goers are gonna be rejected by God.

Ever thought that your interpretation might just be in error?

exactly so point proven again is that the bible can be interpretated in all sorts of ways and can be in error to those who think it is right.

you re read again to what your fellow xchristian members are trying to interpretate that bible verse and you know that they all are wrong. The person who first wrote that verse is laughing at us for trying to figure it out. He was high on something and that's a fact.

Not meaning to derail this thread any further (Shaman is doing a good enough job of that), but I have a question for Thurisaz: what does making the sign of the hammer over your food mean? Is it roughly the equivalent of blessing your food? If you did it in front of me, I probably wouldn't know it, because I don't even know what the sign of the hammer looks like.

oh another interpretation...oh I like this..

when one is making the hammer sign or the sign of the cross before eating, it is them blessing their food as a sacrafice to their god. Their gods get to eat the food first before they do. How was the last supper played out again? Was there prayers involve? Jesus would laugh at you if you do that because you are sacraficing to the wrong god. The god of the old testament does not want your cheap fruits. He wants lambs, pigs, virgins, fresh meat and so jesus laugh some more for they are not offering it to the god where Jesus came from.

but offcouse, i'm sure someone out there knows my interpretation is way off as well.

Is it roughly the equivalent of blessing your food?

I bless my food with the black pepper that is provided at the table.

And all the atheists said:

Amen !

What is Shaman's problem? Is he making fun of Christian apologists? Is he a Christian who suffers from severe mental illness? He rambles worse than the dude who wanted me to join a cult that says Jupiter is going to collide with the earth.

I wouldn't even bother acknowledging his posts, nothing he writes even makes enough since to respond too.

And the ingrate is banned now so, hurrah!

I'm not sure exactly what the beef is about school prayer. In our district the school system allows each school a moment of silence at the beginning of the day. Why is that not sufficient time to allow someone to pray to their God? Can someone not pray in silence, can someone not pray without having someone lead them? To me it's a good compromise, it allows those who want to pray time to pray and those that don't time to reflect on something else. A true Christian shouldn't have to be told what to say to their God nor should they need to be told when to pray. Maybe I wasn't a true Christian since I never had to be told when to pray or what to pray about, I didn't need to close my eyes, clasp my hands or perform the sign of the cross.

I'm not sure exactly what the beef is about school prayer. In our district the school system allows each school a moment of silence at the beginning of the day. Why is that not sufficient time to allow someone to pray to their God?

Why have any time whatsoever set aside for communicating with deities in a school setting? What does it have to do with education? It is the promotion and marketing of gods in public school.

They kick drug peddlers off the school grounds, why let religious peddlers in? Masking it as to "any god” is no different than Creationist masking their religious beliefs under the term "Intelligent Designer". Which religion exactly that's pushing for this? Let me guess...... Yep they are one big bunch of hypocritical liars, preying on children for future converts to their coffers.

I'm not sure exactly what the beef is about school prayer. In our district the school system allows each school a moment of silence at the beginning of the day. Why is that not sufficient time to allow someone to pray to their God?

Why have any time whatsoever set aside for communicating with deities in a school setting? What does it have to do with education? It is the promotion and marketing of gods in public school.

They kick drug peddlers off the school grounds, why let religious peddlers in? Masking it as to "any god" is no different than Creationist masking their religious beliefs under the term "Intelligent Designer". Which religion exactly that's pushing for this? Let me guess...... Yep they are one big bunch of hypocritical liars, preying on children for future converts to their coffers.

Antlerman, you know I :wub: you, and I used to think this way also. I even reported a school graduation ceremony once to the ACLU! :HaHa:

My daughter's elementary school has a moment each day and the principle tells the kids to take a moment for silence, prayer or meditation. I can really find no harm in this. I think it's a good thing for the minds of children to at least get a few minutes of quite time before a long day. It seems to have a calming effect regardless of if they are praying, meditating or just contemplating what they are going to do on the playground. I witnessed this a couple of times. It went from a loud sound of a million voices in the gym to a lower rumble after the silence. :shrug:

I think Unknowing may have meant this also. Not just specific time for the ones that believe in a god, but for all of the kids to be quite for a minute to reflect on what they wish.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant NBBTL. A moment of silence for anyone can have a calming affect and give a person time to prepare themselves for the day. In my house the kids sleep as late as possible, then they are up scrambling to get ready for the bus on time. They then ride a bus to school with 40 other screaming kids, rush to lockers and homeroom. Just a moment to clear their mind and quietly prepare themselves for the upcoming day does have a calming affect. I know when I am running late I am not feeling mentally as well as I could and a moment just to gather my wits does me wonders.

Now I do have a problem with student or adult lead prayer in the schools. I don't think it should be called prayer, I don't think it should be led by anyone and I certainly don't think it should be a time set aside just for prayer or even remotely suggested that anyone pray. But if that is what a person wants to do with their moment of silence then so be it. It is not for me to tell someone what to do in their own mind with their one moment. As far as I know those same kids who are supposed to be praying are mentally undressing the kid next to them and imagining all sorts of things, but that is their perogative as long as they do it in their mind and not in public. My statement about what's the beef was really toward the fundalmentalists who complain about it.

I do take exception to those folks in my district who are up in arms because they feel prayer has been taken out of the schools. While it is not forced on other children anymore, their children do have an opportunity to pray, they still get their moment of silence and if their child chooses not to use that moment to pray then that is their problem and they should deal with their child as they deem necessary. My other point is that in order to pray you shouldn't have to have a set time or even be led in prayer, you should as a Christian be able to pray at any time, any moment or any where. I did when I was a Christian, I could pray and drive at the same time, pray and walk down the street and pray when I went to the bathroom. It's not that hard to have a one sided conversation with an imaginary being.