Goodbye Jesus

More Thoughts On The Universe

mick

I was thinking that the universe may actually be very, very SMALL RATHER than very immense. Of course, out of sheer logical ramification, we are then really, really, really, small. (Like wicked small)

Well, we don't really know what big and small are except in comparison to ourselves. So to our senses, the universe is fucking huge.

I think that we're just really small in a really really big sort of way. And, as far as the Universe is concerned, there is no up or down. Fancy that... :Hmm:

:HaHa:

Makes sense to me. The only reasons there's an up or down on Earth is gravity and a bottom. If there weren't a force pulling you towards a boundary, what would define up? What would define down?

I guess up and down is defined when it comes to quarks, but not to the universe. Go figure...

I was thinking that the universe may actually be very, very SMALL RATHER than very immense. Of course, out of sheer logical ramification, we are then really, really, really, small. (Like wicked small)

In this context you are dealing with relativity. What is small? Compared to what? A giant kingdom that lives outside the universe?

Makes sense to me. The only reasons there's an up or down on Earth is gravity and a bottom. If there weren't a force pulling you towards a boundary, what would define up? What would define down?

But why do we use the convention of North being "up"?

It's probably historical, in that cartography as we know it is Western/European. It's always a shock when you see maps that are printed upside down.

I guess up and down is defined when it comes to quarks, but not to the universe. Go figure...

It's probably just a convenient lable for the spin. But there are forces involved that could help define it. I'm not that well informed about quantum mechanics, so I'm really not sure.

But why do we use the convention of North being "up"?

It's probably historical, in that cartography as we know it is Western/European. It's always a shock when you see maps that are printed upside down.

Basically. Tradition is hard to get rid of, as miles and feet show.

It's probably just a convenient lable for the spin. But there are forces involved that could help define it. I'm not that well informed about quantum mechanics, so I'm really not sure.

I know, it was more of a joke. :) But it's funny that quarks know what we don't. Hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Up and down spin arn't really up or down.....or spins. Same as colour charges arn't really colours and flavour types arn't really flavours. Needless to say, particle physics students tend to hate all past particle physicists!