Goodbye Jesus

Letters From Leavers

Guest nunyobini

I put my testimony on your site. Now I get 2 or 3 comments a day of people trying to win me back to jebus.

I also put mine up, a slightly modified version of my Ex-C testimony.

Can't wait to see what happens.

Well, hec I could do that. I havn't been much in a mood to write things, but modify what I already wrote, eh, I could do that.

I read it just now. One person commented. He is basically saying to stay away from the bad Christians but that he and his kind of Christians are true disciples of Christ. He is also saying it's okay for you to keep your mind closed forever if you must. I don't understand that part. I did not leave a comment because I felt only anger at his reply. The pain of your story is overwhelming. I think what "saved" you was your mother's very positive influence early in life.

• Admin

By John W. Loftus.

In a recent email from a Christian student at Fuller Seminary named Tim Bowers he tells me that a classmate and him are doing a project called Letters from Leavers and that "it is essentially a webspace for people who have left the Church to write a “Dear John” letter to the Church."

Tim continues, "It may sound weird coming from a Christian (I hope it doesn’t) but I am very interested in hearing your story and would love you to check out the site. If the site interests you we would love it if you could help us out by sending any folks that you know that might want to connect with a site like this to the page. Thanks so much for your time and consideration."

Then he adds, "I assure you this is no ploy to try to re-evangelize you. We are genuinely interested in hearing your story and that’s it. You can post anonymously to the site so no one will be able to contact you if you don’t want them to."

I have already posted my deconversion story here, but others may want to do so. If so, have at it.

http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2007/02...om-leavers.html

I went ahead and merged these two threads. I can't seem to put Dave's post first, though. :shrug:

Don't know why.

Looking over that site, it seems to me that this is another one of those Christian groups that is using our problems and findings about their religion in order to attempt to make changes to their religion.

I don't know... I sort of get the feeling like they're really saying, "We know that our religion is messed up. Come help us fix ourselves, you heathens. You're going to burn in Hell anyway, so why not?"

Here's a quote from the site:

My wish for myself and for the church for 2007 is simple. Awareness and change. Let us take the most honest look at our world that we have ever allowed ourselves to indulge. And let us change what we see in ourselves and in our environment that doesn't belong.

Less of us, more of Him.

Yes Fwee, the creator of the Website openly say they "love the church" and "it's part of a research project" by Dr. John Drane, a theologian.

I don't know, I'll have to read the site better to understand exactly what it is they are trying to do. I can't see a theologian being spiritual. :shrug:

Well, you got me. Even reading the site of Drane, I can't makes heads or tales of what they believe...if they are fundamental literalists or more of a mystic branch???

crap I posted, jsut like 2 hours ago, already got the "sorry yuo were hurt" responce. :twitch:

Purple, I read your post..and wow..I had not read your extimony before, but, just..wow.

I added a short one of my own. Too tired to do more than that..

Ugh... this was SO not a fun thing.

I got some nut-job screaming that he was going to send it to every "non insane" pastor he knew, and Christianity today, so I deleted it... 'cause I thought this was supposed to be an adademic project, not an "I'll send your life around as a chain letter to Christians, only to get it screwed up and rewritten several times."

So for the sake of Mr. Bowers' project, I'll privately send him a copy, 'cause that Matt guy REALLY freaked me out.

I don't want him to miss my point and my point is deficient theology. It has nothing to do with how the church treated me. At least, so I think.

I posted as RSM.

Ugh... this was SO not a fun thing.

I got some nut-job screaming that he was going to send it to every "non insane" pastor he knew, and Christianity today, so I deleted it... 'cause I thought this was supposed to be an adademic project, not an "I'll send your life around as a chain letter to Christians, only to get it screwed up and rewritten several times."

So for the sake of Mr. Bowers' project, I'll privately send him a copy, 'cause that Matt guy REALLY freaked me out.

Fuckin bastards want to "save" you! Guess that's their master's project to their ticket to heaven. My heaven is a good hard orgasm!

I posted. My letter is here.

Only one response so far and already I can tell I didn't get my point across. Oh well.

Guest nunyobini

I just want to say a quick thanks to each of you from the exchristian.net community that have helped us out at lettersfromleavers.

I understand that many of you may seem frustrated by some of the comments that have been made or some of the reaction that your letters have gotten and I appreacite you being patient with us Christians. We are getting over a couple centuries worth of feeling like every one cared what we have to say and know that we are in a post-Christian world we haven't learned to keep our mouth shut and listen to what other people have to say.

godlessgyrl, thanks again for challenging us with your letter and thanks to all of you that have posted or participated in some way. that is very cool of all of you.

Oh and if you are being bothered or receiving any email from Christians trying to re-convert you let us know by filling out the contact form on the site and I will address it personally.

Tim Bower

LFL

Hi there tim - despite some of the frustration, I'm personally glad to see that somebody got what I was ultimately trying to say over there. I find that refreshing, amidst all the other cruft that most Xians tend to throw at me individually, and at unbelievers as a whole. (You should see some of the asshattery that goes on in the Lion's Den... it'd make your teeth curl.)

I have a blog which actually goes into my story more in-depth here. I posted my extimony here long ago, as have many others. They're worth perusing in and of themselves, if you want a glimpse of the kinds of things people have gone through when leaving the church.

Anyhoo. Good luck with the project. I hope it's enlightening.