Goodbye Jesus

I Hate Lent.

Kurari

Yep, I'm hearing it too..and the ashes..how do you not LOOK right at it, like a zit or something??

We're serving fish on Friday's right now, which is cool, because I like fish..but even the little kids are heard to say "No, I HAVE to have the fish, I can't eat meat today!!" Guess I better make sure I have enough on hand, wouldn't want 5 year olds in hell, huh?

I remembered going on a seafood diet for lent.

I see food and I eat food...seefood.

I love Lent and I'm pretty into fasting - both things I've gotten into after leaving christianity.

Last year for the first time we fasted from TV as a family and we are doing the same thing again this year. We didn't consider that we watched loads in the first place, but even just the news plus a couple of drama's and a sports event adds up to seven hours a week that we suddenly have for much more fulfilling family time and the break acts as a counter to habit forming.

I try and fit in a couple of food fasts a year as well - really mind cleansing as well as the physical benefits.

I don't think I've ever encountered any christians moaning about giving stuff up. That would seem to defeat the object.

Yeah I've known Christians that give things up, but I can't say I've seen one that actually complains about it.

I can see giving stuff up once in a while just for personal growth. I do it sometimes myself, but I think it's like New Year's Resolutions...it's better to do them spontaneously in July if you want them to actually work.

I also noticed something about "vices." The moment you take your identity away from it, it ceases to be a vice. When I stopped feeling guilty about enjoying chocolate or coffee or whatever, I stopped "needing" any of it. Come to think of it, at the moment, I don't think really I have anything that could be considered a vice.

Except now you people have me craving fish sammichs. Mmmmm!

For Lent this year I have decided to give up abstinence.
That's the spirit, luv! (sips Green Chartreuse and cranks up the stereo a notch)

You can find a pretty damned good haddock fry around here this time of year. I prefer my fish broiled though.

So far I have been lucky. I haven't heard any whining about anything Lenten.

Last year I tried to do my usual giving up (this being when I was a non-practising Catholic) plus cigarettes, alcohol and probably weed as I recall. Slowly but surely, they were broken one by one. Cigarettes lasted for about 36 hours (and that was with nicotine gum), and alcohol lasted until the first Friday night. I think I managed not to eat crisps for the full 6 weeks, but that was probably just forgetting about them while I was breaking the rest.

So I won't bother this year. But I really am going to miss Lent. I used to love Lent. I could rattle off my list of forbidden foods from memory..."chocolate, sweets, cakes, biscuits, crisps, ice cream and ice pops." And then feel nice and sanctimonious about it. Safe in the knowledge that all the non-Christians, plus the ones that only gave up chocolate, plus the non-Christians that gave something up anyway, the cheating Protestants and weak Catholics who had Sundays off and the ones that failed were worse people than me. :lol::woohoo: (I did have Saint Paddy's day off though on the basis that I'm half Irish :P )

With Catholicism being highly sado-masochistic, I was never happier (or more solemn, they're interchangeable ;) ) than on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Especially Good Friday (LOOK AT ME! I'M ONLY HAVING ONE MEAL TODAY...AND I CAN'T GO TO THE SHOPS BECAUSE I'M NOT ALLOWED TO TOUCH MONEY! AND I'M LOOKING SAD! WOOHOO..GO ME!) You get the picture...

There was a guy at the sixth-form ball I went to last night who'd given up coffee...4 days it had been and he was announcing loudly and with glee that he could have a cup because it was a special occasion, and then proceeded to practically make love to the cup. :D

The other thing I'll miss is the sheer joy of breaking the fast...a few years ago when I was given a chocolate bar at school I carried it around all day then when I got home I sat looking at it for about 5 minutes until I eventually ripped the wrapper off and shoved it down my face in about 3 seconds...that was the best-tasting chocolate bar I've ever had.

Now I could be getting laid and smoking a joint at 3pm (Hour of Divine Mercy) on Good Friday and not even a twinge of guilty pleasure. I like to try and convince myself that I still beleive getting drunk or masturbating are wrong so that I can enjoy them even more. :funny:

I also noticed something about "vices." The moment you take your identity away from it, it ceases to be a vice. When I stopped feeling guilty about enjoying chocolate or coffee or whatever, I stopped "needing" any of it. Come to think of it, at the moment, I don't think really I have anything that could be considered a vice.

I've noticed the same thing. Swearing, masturbation, Mountain Dew... yeah, I still do them (except Mountain Dew, but that's simply because I'm more healthy without it), but there's no more compulsion or stigma surrounding them. They just are.

Something to irritate Protestant Fundies is to point out that Lent only goes back to Pope Felix' and since when did they follow what Bishops made up as Popish frippery....

I love Lent and I'm pretty into fasting - both things I've gotten into after leaving christianity.

Last year for the first time we fasted from TV as a family and we are doing the same thing again this year. We didn't consider that we watched loads in the first place, but even just the news plus a couple of drama's and a sports event adds up to seven hours a week that we suddenly have for much more fulfilling family time and the break acts as a counter to habit forming.

I try and fit in a couple of food fasts a year as well - really mind cleansing as well as the physical benefits.

I don't think I've ever encountered any christians moaning about giving stuff up. That would seem to defeat the object.

If you've not suffered them, you've never lived. They're one of the greatest adverts for forced labour camps and compulsory sterilisation I know.