Goodbye Jesus

Disbelief In God

garrisonjj

I know its been asked before, But what are your most solidifying reasons for a disbelief in god?

After a lifetime of devotion, I awoke one day and realized noone heard my prayers and religion is just the promotion of personal guilt.

Well - I suppose for me, I just don't see any compelling reason why I should believe in one. Nor do I see any compelling evidence to support the existence of one.

That's about it.

They say that god created man in the image of himself therefore, god had a penis...

and I haven't met another penis that I like

The issues the Bible has was the biggest factor, but also the silence from "god" particularily when I was begging god to help keep my faith.

The question is not me not wanting to pray to a god but the fact that I'm praying to the wrong god. If you do something wrong and no one correct your mistake, you will then continue on the same wrong path. Can't ask jesus if you are praying to the right god because he's dead.

Well - I suppose for me, I just don't see any compelling reason why I should believe in one. Nor do I see any compelling evidence to support the existence of one.

That's about it.

Agree. I think this is one of the most common reasons for disbelief. I need a reason to believe something and there are no solid reasons for me to believe there is a god. It is like me asking why you don't believe in giant fire breathing dragons.

With me it's been two issues here........Believing in the Bible God and believing in a generic deistic God.

It's really easy not to believe in the all loving Bible God who sends people to hell(great reason there). I've worked at a large trauma center with a pediatric cancer ward for 12 years. Between all I've seen at work and the fact that thousands die of starvation every day around the world is the main reason I don't believe in that God. What kind of sadistic deity would devise a plan that involves kids losing their lives to cancer?

Lack of evidence is a bit of big factor also.

There was a time when I believed in a deistic God, that is one who just set the seeds of life in motion and kept moving along, but a quote from Carl Sagan cured me from that belief.

"If an all powerful God who can create the universe appear from nothing, why couldn't the first cell that started the evolution of life have come from nothing?" It would seem much easier for a cell to appear out of thin air than an all powerful God.

After seeing various holes in my Christian beliefs I eventually found myself wanting to find the truth no matter where that led me. I started looking at the arguments for and against the existence of god. On doing so I saw no evidence for a god. I saw I was believing in god for two reasons...for comfort in times of trouble and to fill in the gaps in my knowledge of the origins of life and the universe. I started reading and found there wasn't a need to stick god in the gaps and found various problems with the Christian definition of god. Without the evidence and with the various holes and problems I started leaving my Christian beliefs behind.

There was a time when I believed in a deistic God, that is one who just set the seeds of life in motion and kept moving along, but a quote from Carl Sagan cured me from that belief.

"If an all powerful God who can create the universe appear from nothing, why couldn't the first cell that started the evolution of life have come from nothing?" It would seem much easier for a cell to appear out of thin air than an all powerful God.

Wow, I like that quote. That is kind of how I thought about god, but I couldn't quite put it in to words like that.

After seeing various holes in my Christian beliefs I eventually found myself wanting to find the truth no matter where that led me. I started looking at the arguments for and against the existence of god. On doing so I saw no evidence for a god. I saw I was believing in god for two reasons...for comfort in times of trouble and to fill in the gaps in my knowledge of the origins of life and the universe. I started reading and found there wasn't a need to stick god in the gaps and found various problems with the Christian definition of god. Without the evidence and with the various holes and problems I started leaving my Christian beliefs behind.

Some people seem to use "god" as the answer for anything they don't know. That has always bothered me. It almost seems like there is no reason to even go to school.

How did the universe come to be? Answer - god

Where did man come from? Answer - god

What is the square root of 487243987? Answer - god

In my mind all three of those answers are equal. They seem more like a lazy way to answer it without really trying to find out the truth.

There is just too much stupidity in the world for it to have been created by an intelligent being.

I just don't see a reconciliation of how life functions and the mechanations of a being guiding it all. At least, not in the capacity humans think. God is supposed to be pure unconditional love and omnipotent....then why are there wars and injustice and hurricanes and people who kick puppies? Why are prayers answered so inconsistently? Why do good and bad things happen at al and sometimes in situations where they aren't warrented? It makes no sense.

God moves in incomprehensible ways, not mysterious ones. There is no rhyme or reason to life to suggest there is anything out there with an agenda, or even cares what we think. I've heard the claim that "God is Life. They are one and the same." In which case, why not just call it "life" and quit worrying about it since obviously it continues on it's own course no matter what we think or do?