Goodbye Jesus

If I Have To Sit Through One More Church Service........

Insanity personified

I was planning on waiting until college to tell about my nonbelief...but things are getting out of hand...besides going to a christian school/brainwashing facility and attending church three times a week (that is a lot worse then it sounds....I havent been able to bond emotionally with anyone for 2 years) my parents are complaining that i dont go to youth group...this has to stop. But I dont know if I can bring myself to tell them

This post really read "I'm an IdiotThat Can't Keep My Keyboard Shut.

Shaman,

Get lost. Feel free to find this post an invitation to leave ExC before you are given an extensive and/or permanant time out.

kFL

Shakespeare put it really well when he said "To thy own self be true, and it follows as night to day, for thou cannot be false to any man". (kinda paraphrased)

It's a hard thing, coming out as an ex-christian. Some of us were really lucky and had families and friends who were supportive, or at least didn't try to break our spirits.

Others of us weren't so lucky. Just yesterday I had my mom on the phone crying, begging me to tell her the "real" reason why I left Christianity... even though I've been over it with her hundreds of times.

If you feel you need to tell, do it. It'll get it off your shoulders and you can begin to move on.

If you feel the need to wait, again do it; but they'll still be on you to go back to your "old self".

So in the end- take a deep breath, consider all the pros and cons, and do it when you're ready.

You might find this thread helpful.

It's about telling "the bad news" that one has deconverted.

I was planning on waiting until college to tell about my nonbelief...but things are getting out of hand...besides going to a christian school/brainwashing facility and attending church three times a week (that is a lot worse then it sounds....I havent been able to bond emotionally with anyone for 2 years) my parents are complaining that i dont go to youth group...this has to stop. But I dont know if I can bring myself to tell them

I don't know what your relationship is like with your family, but getting it off your chest may help as long as they aren't the vindictive type that will throw you out for it.

After "coming-out" to my parent's under bad circumstances I still have to go to church, but at least I can let my discomfort show and I routinely start debates with my sunday school teacher....

Insanity,

Your situation sounds difficult. But you do need to be honest, especially, with that "youth group" thing. Just tell your folks that you don't see any benefit from taking time to involve yourself in that group. It sounds like your folks are fundies who have preconceived notions of what they expect from you, and you need to communicate that you are your own person and that you need enough space to find your own path in life. You don't have to throw down the gauntlet entirely, you don't have to say you're agnostic, just tell them you're thinking things through. That may create enough breathing space for all of you.

Best wishes...

• 1 month later...
Guest lori4443
Insanity,

Your situation sounds difficult. But you do need to be honest, especially, with that "youth group" thing. Just tell your folks that you don't see any benefit from taking time to involve yourself in that group. It sounds like your folks are fundies who have preconceived notions of what they expect from you, and you need to communicate that you are your own person and that you need enough space to find your own path in life. You don't have to throw down the gauntlet entirely, you don't have to say you're agnostic, just tell them you're thinking things through. That may create enough breathing space for all of you.

Best wishes...

test

Are you an adult? If so, stop going to Church. If your parents ask you directly, tell them the truth.