Goodbye Jesus

The Biblical Principle Of Hating Your Family And Life...

Guest CerebralHypertrophy

Guest CerebralHypertrophy

We have all read the verses about "hating your father and mother," "hating this world," and that Christians are "pilgrims" on the Earth as we know it. If Christianity is indeed made up and complete bull shit, these concepts are extremly detrimental to people's minds.

My friend said the other night that he feels LESS SUICIDAL now that he doesn't believe. Christianity makes you hate your life and the world and yourself, even if you don't admit it while you are in. I've been able to see this now that I don't believe...I actually feel a sense of confidence, free, more passionate about life, more in awe about the universe, I want to call people up and tell them how cool/special/awesome they are, I feel less like binge drinking because I want to be in a state of higher thinking always, etc.

What do you all think?

I absolutely agree with you.

When I was a Xian the whole thing about hating the world was supposed to be about adhering to a higher spiritual and moral standard than everybody else, while hating one's family was both a reflection of that higher indwelling standard, and a sign of one's priorities. It was about whether or not a believer was willing to give up everything for Jesus - even their family, friends, loved ones, even their children. (Think about Jephthah's daughter here.)

But ultimately I think that it creates a certain sort of disconnection and disengagement with the world around you. That can't be healthy.

I sure as shit feel way more psychologically healthy ever since I left Xianity. It has more to do with the guilt and shame, the thing about how "all have sinned", the comparisons to used menstrual rags, things like that. It has to do with being free of all the Biblical denigration, and the insanity being told both that I was unworthy of god's mercy, and yet precious in his sight.

Anyhoo though. Those are some thoughts.

• 5 months later...
We have all read the verses about "hating your father and mother," "hating this world," and that Christians are "pilgrims" on the Earth as we know it. If Christianity is indeed made up and complete bull shit, these concepts are extremly detrimental to people's minds.

My friend said the other night that he feels LESS SUICIDAL now that he doesn't believe. Christianity makes you hate your life and the world and yourself, even if you don't admit it while you are in. I've been able to see this now that I don't believe...I actually feel a sense of confidence, free, more passionate about life, more in awe about the universe, I want to call people up and tell them how cool/special/awesome they are, I feel less like binge drinking because I want to be in a state of higher thinking always, etc.

What do you all think?

I just ran across this... it seems like you once had somewhat similar feelings as I did. What has changed? You're scaring me now. :Hmm:

But I agree with your friend. I do feel less suicidal than I did before, but I won't say I'm happier. Maybe about the same would describe it... with the knowledge that there is nothing to fear about death and once it's over, it's as if you never existed. That's comforting too, in a way, but in a way that makes me want to experience life while I have it.

What an utterly repugnant idea this is. To try to convince people to hate their lives. To hate the world. To view their one brief moment of existence as something ugly. As though they were here just doing time in prison, living for the day when they will be released and set free.

I belong to You.

I am not my own.

I will live as an ambassador.

In a world that's not my home.

And they dream. They dream their lives away, thinking of their future home. Their next life. A life that does not exist.

Of course, it's like so many of the teachings attributed to Jesus. It is totally disjointed with another of his teachings: Think not of tomorrow. For tomorrow will take care of itself.

Right Mythra, it is this and the terroristic premises (threats of hell) of xianity that make it a sick and depraved belief system. I truly pity those who are caught in it's spiraling path.

Nice to see you around btw, how's life?

Hey Vigile.

Nice to see you again.

Life is wonderful. Full of self-reliance, confidence and freedom. I haven't posted much here for awhile - I guess I just exhausted the need to talk about Jesus any more. He has entered the realm of the irrelevant to me. Life goes on quite well without pretend friends.

But I do miss my real buds here at ex-c on occasion. This place was just what the doctor ordered for me when I was an emotional cripple.

There is something truly sick in Christianity's negative worldview and simultaneous rejection of suicide. It's like being a kid forced to stand in a corner, but knowing that if you leave, you're going to get it worse. Life becomes punishment. At the same time, you're supposed to feel awe and wonder at this "creation" around you, and love for all people - even though you hate the world. And by the way, you're supposed to be thankful for this life that you're also supposed to hate. Just... what the hell?

I remember growing up in a fundy church with severe OCD. We believed that you could be punished for your thoughts, and even that the leaders of the church could sometimes read thoughts (if G_d revealed them to them). When my OCD kicked in, I would imagine what people looked like naked and be horribly embarrassed thinking that the elderly pastor might know that I was imagining this. Then when I heard that blasphemy of the holy ghost was an unforgivable sin, the words, "fuck the .." kept running through my mind. I thought I was going to hell for sure, and at times I thought that if I opened my mouth I would say the words and be struck down on the spot. Needless to say, my adolescence was not a fun time.

I still have OCD, but being free of Christianity has definitely helped matters. The dark view of life didn't change for me immediately after I left Christianity. It took a lot of years and exposure to some new ideas to finally shake some of that off.