Goodbye Jesus

Thank-you God for opening my mind

webmdave

• Admin

Sent in by Trudy H

I am beginning a journey to find truth.

The problem with religion, all religions, including Christianity, is the belief theat they have all the answers. The truth is, no one can ever have all the answers.

We are all on a journey to find truth. As soon as you become part of a religion you get a "package of beliefs," and you no longer need to search for truth or answers: You are right and everyone else is wrong.

Anything that stops you from thinking, growing, searching is not beneficial. Truth should cause you to open up, not close up. People come to church for friendship, fellowship, comfort, etc. which are good things to find, but it is a high price to pay if you no longer are able to challenge beliefs or search for truth.

Thank-you God for opening my mind. Help me to continue to search for truth.

I wrote this yesterday while sitting in my church.

I have just started on this journey. I was raised in a good Christian home. It is hard for me to think about leaving a faith that has given me hope and meaning for many years but I cannot remain in it if it is not true. My husband actually started this journey over 10 years ago. He attended church as a child with his grandparents, but came to the conclusion as an adult that it was not true. I have been slower in coming to that conclusion. My husband says that it is hard for me to give it up because of my close relationship to my family and friends who are believers. I am interested in seeking truth, but I also do not feel a need to put down Christians.

Why the pic of Calvin peeing on the Jesus fish? Not necessary for intelligent discussion. Why the pic of the demons and the naked women?

Sometimes I think people who leave the church are just bitter and immature. Why can't we discuss beliefs without putting down others beliefs. If I wanted things shoved down my throat I could stay in the church.http://exchristian.net/testimonies/2007/02...ng-my-mind.html

• 3 weeks later...

I might as well say it. Everytime I see this title it siezes my brain. Here goes:

If you came to the conclusion that god does not exist, how can you thank this same god for opening your brain? There's something about the wording that just doesn't jibe with me. Maybe you mean, "I am ever so glad that I finally gained insight." That would allow you to "have your cake and eat it too," so to speak.

The other possibility is that you are a fundy posing as an exC hoping to snare a few of us strays and drag us back to the fold. Whatever the case, you got a bad choice of words there.

Guest Aidans Pop

Yeah, you're definitely being contradictory webmaster. You can't thank a god you don't believe in.

And as far as getting on here and knocking people's cartoons, two things on that. First of all, unless I am missing something, you have a picture of Jesus throwing a fireball like a video game character, which is definitely mockery/blasphemy. Secondly, with all due respect, who the hell do you think you are? What would possess you to join a forum and immediately begin bashing people on it? Unless of course, as RubySera suggested, you are a fundie. I sense the same judgmental self-righteous demeanor that you claim to be trying to escape. You may not understand the damage that religion has done to many of us, and how many years were wasted and potential opportunities lost paying homage to a fantasy. So maybe you should take a look in the mirror before you start bashing people that you claim to have something in common with.

First off, While I may be an atheist, I would point out that a person does not have to become an atheist to be an ex-Christian.

And while I can be angry at Christians at times I can somewhat understand where this person is coming from.

Wait till they get to the anger part of the grieving process. (people often grieve for the loss of faith much the same way they grieve when they loss a loved one, I know I did) When I first walked away I really didn't want to be angry at all, after all many of my friends were Christians, However, the more I changed the more I began to see Christian attitudes in a different light, and suddenly everything Christians said started rubbing me the wrong way.

Oh, and Aidans pop, check the name of the poster, web master isn't just his name its his job, he runs the site, and was merely posting a comment from a user.

Asking the webmaster "who the hell he thinks he is" might not be the best way to make friends ;)

• Admin
Yeah, you're definitely being contradictory webmaster. You can't thank a god you don't believe in.

And as far as getting on here and knocking people's cartoons, two things on that. First of all, unless I am missing something, you have a picture of Jesus throwing a fireball like a video game character, which is definitely mockery/blasphemy. Secondly, with all due respect, who the hell do you think you are? What would possess you to join a forum and immediately begin bashing people on it? Unless of course, as RubySera suggested, you are a fundie. I sense the same judgmental self-righteous demeanor that you claim to be trying to escape. You may not understand the damage that religion has done to many of us, and how many years were wasted and potential opportunities lost paying homage to a fantasy. So maybe you should take a look in the mirror before you start bashing people that you claim to have something in common with.

There has got to be something going on here that I don't have enough information to understand.

Oh well.

Guest Aidans Pop

There has got to be something going on here that I don't have enough information to understand.

Oh well.

Yes. My apologies. I had a big misunderstanding/blonde moment. Apparently the testimony of Trudy H was a repost on your part, and I thought webmaster and Trudy H were the same person. I didn't realize that you were simply posting someone else's words. So all comments directed towards you, webmaster, were intended for Trudy H. Sorry.

At least I think that's what happened. Any second opinions? I guess I'm still a bit of a newbie at forums, I haven't seen this reposting before without some sort of header saying "Read This" or "Check This Out" or something like that. My fault. I'm not stupid enough to go cussing out the webmaster. My comments were in awe that someone would join a forum and immediately begin judging people because they were not exactly what the new person thought they should be. I guess I'll pay closer attention in the future :shrug:

Oh well.

Yes. My apologies. I had a big misunderstanding/blonde moment. Apparently the testimony of Trudy H was a repost on your part, and I thought webmaster and Trudy H were the same person. I didn't realize that you were simply posting someone else's words. So all comments directed towards you, webmaster, were intended for Trudy H. Sorry.

At least I think that's what happened. Any second opinions? I guess I'm still a bit of a newbie at forums, I haven't seen this reposting before without some sort of header saying "Read This" or "Check This Out" or something like that. My fault. I'm not stupid enough to go cussing out the webmaster. My comments were in awe that someone would join a forum and immediately begin judging people because they were not exactly what the new person thought they should be. I guess I'll pay closer attention in the future :shrug:

Pop, the bolded parts help me understand what happened. Webmaster is the founder of this site. Trudy H. is a person I've never met. If you look at the links across the top of the page you will see one called "Main Blog." Click on it and you will see a front page where webmaster posts articles "for the cause," mostly written and submitted by others. Those articles are simultaneouly also posted on the dicussion forums here. So if webmaster posts something and under the title it says "sent in by ___________" you can know someone else wrote it and he merely posted it. Sometimes Christians pass this way and felt moved by the spirit to write nasty notes to webmaster. Then he posts them here and the authors get flak. And then they wonder what happened. Well, what happened was that they chose to take on a person with whom they disagreed but know nothing about, and consequently brought the wrath of the entire exChristendom on their heads. Thus, it is quite possible that Trudy H. has not joined these forums but simply wrote a message to webmaster. That's the "second opinion" you asked for. I hope it clarifies things.

Guest Aidans Pop

OK, I'm pretty sure I got it, let me just make sure. So what you're saying is that these kinds of posts are not actually made by the person who writes the letter or comment that is posted - therefore these posts are mainly for comment only, not for replying. Is that correct? In other words, in this case, Trudy H will probably not see what we write because Trudy will not be looking for it necessarily. So we can talk about it but replying directly to Trudy is pointless. Is that right? And webmaster's only involvement is to just make these letters or comments available for us to see and discuss. Do I got it? If not, then I'm sorry I didn't get it. Thank you for clarifying.

Aidans and everyone,

It's all good. I think Aidans got it, so we can leave the issue and no harm, no foul, no hard feelings. :) m'kay?

I agree.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lori4443
<em>Sent in by Trudy H</em>

The problem with religion, all religions, including Christianity, is the belief that they have all the answers. The truth is, no one can ever have all the answers.

Tell me about. It annoys the hell out of me how Christians have an answer to everything. I have a friend whose mother was in a coma for 9 years, resulting from a car accident, before she died. Her family are strict Catholics but my friend is an agnostic. I asked her if she thought the situation with her mother had damaged her family’s faith at all. She rolled her eyes and told me they thought the reason for her mother’s dilemma was to bring them all closer together. Also they didn’t want to pull the plug because of religious reasons. They had even considered flying her to another country where there was this place where miracles were supposedly happening (they decided not to). Can you imagine how much that would have cost? Whoa!

I know they badly wanted her to come out of the coma and I could feel for them in that regard, but on the other hand, I don't think I could have handled my mother being in a coma for all that time and not knowing if she was suffering or not.

http://exchristian.net/testimonies/2007/02...ng-my-mind.html